Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 2 years?

• 01-05-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Did anybody read in the newspaper in regards to the case of the lad who beat up and slashed that old blind man who ran that Liquor shop. 2 years is nowhere near enough for this. I know the lad in question and he has been an absolute scumbag his entire life. It's in the front page of the News & Star I think.

If anybody remembers this instance when it happened, they will understand why 2 years is a walk in the park for something like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If hes never been to prison before it probably wont be a walk in the park at all.. I get what your saying though and he should get more but what can you do? If the man wasn't blind this wouldnt be so bad.. but they can't add on years just because hes blind can they?

Two years for attacking someone though sounds pretty decent.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From what I remember from the last thread that was started when this happened the chap in question has been in trouble numerous times inn his life and this is yet another notch on his belt.

imho two years is not long enough given his previous history, didn't he damage the old man's eye or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Cabaal wrote: »
    From what I remember from the last thread that was started when this happened the chap in question has been in trouble numerous times inn his life and this is yet another notch on his belt.

imho two years is not long enough given his previous history, didn't he damage the old man's eye or something?

2 years and he'll be out in less than one I bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

its a disgrace.... and a failure by all of our policitcal parties, when crap like this happens...
    each one of them promises to get tough on crime... ha what a joke when some scumbag like this gets only two years (which will probably be only 14months) for an attack like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Cabaal wrote: »

think he already had severe eyesight loss,he had to get 65 stitches though after being slashed with a knife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

The prick had 11 previous conviction's. Shoot him and hang him twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dazftw wrote: »
    If hes never been to prison before it probably wont be a walk in the park at all.. I get what your saying though and he should get more but what can you do? If the man wasn't blind this wouldnt be so bad.. but they can't add on years just because hes blind can they?

Two years for attacking someone though sounds pretty decent.

Oh, he's been in and out of trouble all his life. I know the guy in question. What he did to that old man was terrible. He slashed him and had to get 65 stiches - When the Gardai showed him pictures of the old man's face - he told the Gardai to take the pictures away cos he couldn't look at them.. The attack was so heinous that he couldn't even look at them himself!

So I don't think 2 years is anywhere near enough - Anyone who can attack a person of the public like that, who is in such a defenseless state should be sent away for alot longer than 2 years. Now don't get me wrong - I'm all for time suiting the crime - but I don't think 2 years is the time for this crime.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont think blaming the political partys will do much good tbh. The issues seems to be with the judges, not the law enforcers or the party in government/opposition

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    I dont think blaming the political partys will do much good tbh. The issues seems to be with the judges, not the law enforcers or the party in government/opposition

why not they are responsible for the running of the judicial system... making laws and can set minimum prison sentances for offenders...
    so why should they be exempt from blame... the minister for justice has overall responsibility for this area..... therefore if it fails he is responsible..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

i cant believe he only got to years what kind of a message does this send to other scumbags.that they can just run around hurting who ever they want and havin hardly no consequences?as a young girl who lives alone with me son it really doesnt make me feel one bit safe that this is what it is coming to. it feels like crime in this city is just getting worse and worse and the guards seem to either be powerless to do anything, afraid to do anything or just to dam lazy to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Where can you put this guy though and people of his ilk? The prisons are already overcrowded and we have no money to build more prisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

EF wrote: »
    Where can you put this guy though and people of his ilk? The prisons are already overcrowded and we have no money to build more prisons
    I for one would happily pay more tax/ take less dole if it mean't that we could deal with cases such as this for the punishent to fit the crime.

I'd love to launch a scathing attack on the kind of people that do this but in the best interest of the site i'll leave it tp your imagination, suffice to say i don't think that two years is enough for a crime such as this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

some hard man alright. Picking on a blind fella. Jaysus he must be tough out. I know him and a few of his family members. Hope some 50 stone black man takes a fancy to him while he is locked up.

That's the spirit Sean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's the spirit Sean!
    Cheers bud. Must call down to ya tomorrow and show ya me new bike.
    Some young over the wall from my house got sent away for 9 months during the week but was back home same night cos there was no room for her. Madness I tell ya.

Madness indeed. Do boy, drop down tomorrow after 8 - in work til then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 steveaustin

ziedth wrote: »
    I for one would happily pay more tax/ take less dole if it mean't that we could deal with cases such as this for the punishment to fit the crime......
    Whatever happened to the idea of floating prisons?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6072454.stm

Did any Irish Justice minister ever talk about this before? I cant remember.
    I wouldn't mind paying more money to get one of these. The criminals/thugs etc in Ireland have no respect for our justice system and laugh at it cause they know they will get away with things and prison doesn't seem to be scary for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

What a scum bag. I'd love 5 minutes alone with him. The justice system in this country is a complete joke. I see it every week when I read the court cases in the Munster. The little scum bags offer up the same excuses... I had a hard childhood.. my father was an alcoholic... I have a learning difficulty.... bull****. we all have our cross to carry. Repeat offenders should be locked up for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Wow....two years. That's a bit unjust in my estimation. They should really try and rehabilitate offenders to be hoenst. Might lower the instance of repeat offending etc and might reduce the numbers in said prisons....or just shove em all on an island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Anyone that is any way,shape or form capable of the callous nature that was exhibited in that act is nothing but a ****ing animal and deserves to be treated as such. 2 years is a joke. It's no wonder there are people walking the streets laughing at the law if these are the type of sentences being handed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Sully wrote: »

it was a cowardly attack on that man but the problem is some judges are far to removed from reality, they just have no clue with whats going on out there and the sad thing is nothing is going to change anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

... was walking down past the shop/pub the other day and having been considering this thread wondered what had become of the man who was assaulted? Terribly sad to see the place closed and knowing that a genuine local character that we've all encountered in one way or another over the years is no longer around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Simply fact is these scumbags and we all know them, will continue to be blight on our towns until they die. Sod rehabilitation it wont work with these people. Sooner they die the better

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

He is still running the shop, iv seen him in there plenty of times. Its usually locked and you have to knock to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

For repeat violent offenders we should probably adopt the American, three strikes and you're out situation. Third offence carries minimum 10 year sentence with no parole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

you hear the same names every week on the police scanners and in the papers.. same names every time!! if there is no room in the prisons then just publish their faces in the papers every day so everyone knows they are scum.. would make their lives like a prison cell quick enough when the whole town is giving them the stink eye everywhere they go.. we had a problem similar to this when i lived in Dublin during the 90's and although im not condoning it but it was affective.. a large vigilante group was formed and believe me.. within 6 months we had 80% of the scum GONE!

Advertisement