Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

driving aids

• 01-05-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi, I already have a driving lisence but was just wondering what is the deal with doing a driving test and all the ''driver aids'' that can now be got on new cars, such as hill start assist, that merc radar braking, speed limiters you can set yourself and reversing cameras.
    If you use all these surely it would be easier to pass your test or would you get a lisence like for doing the test in an automatic where you cant drive a car without the aids?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi, I already have a driving lisence but was just wondering what is the deal with doing a driving test and all the ''driver aids'' that can now be got on new cars, such as hill start assist, that merc radar braking, speed limiters you can set yourself and reversing cameras.
    If you use all these surely it would be easier to pass your test or would you get a lisence like for doing the test in an automatic where you cant drive a car without the aids?
    They are not generally permitted as part of a driving test or, in situations where there use is permitted, the limitation is noted and the person may only be eligible to apply for a restricted licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

ok thanks i had been wondering about that all night at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

They are not generally permitted as part of a driving test or, in situations where there use is permitted, the limitation is noted and the person may only be eligible to apply for a restricted licence.

If the feature is a standard feature on the car there is no restriction on its use in the test. For example a lot of the VW group cars now come with electronic handbrakes which automatically release as you move off. Some Nissans come with reverse cameras as standard.

In the case of the handbrake, it just means you dont have to release it yourself - mind you even the automatic ones can be manually released if desired. Reversing cameras can be used but do not dispense with the main requirement to take proper observation out the rear window. So, you cant rely completely on the camera but you can use it for additional view.

The only 'driving aids' which impact your licence type are those which effectively change the car controls - for example a hand operated brake or accelerator, steering wheel attachment for single handed use etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DriveSkill wrote: »
    If the feature is a standard feature on the car there is no restriction on its use in the test. For example a lot of the VW group cars now come with electronic handbrakes which automatically release as you move off. Some Nissans come with reverse cameras as standard.

In the case of the handbrake, it just means you dont have to release it yourself - mind you even the automatic ones can be manually released if desired. Reversing cameras can be used but do not dispense with the main requirement to take proper observation out the rear window. So, you cant rely completely on the camera but you can use it for additional view.

The only 'driving aids' which impact your licence type are those which effectively change the car controls - for example a hand operated brake or accelerator, steering wheel attachment for single handed use etc.

Indeed, so long as you don't forget to do the usual checks on top of using the reversing camera, parking sensors etc they are perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A vehicle with automatic transmission would limit the licence to a restricted '78' licence. AFAIK, a vehicle with a 'tip-tronic' gearbox would also be classed as an automatic (even when the gear is changed manually).

What's the story with paddle change gearboxes? Presumable they are also classed as 'automatic'?

• Advertisement

A vehicle with automatic transmission would limit the licence to a restricted '78' licence. AFAIK, a vehicle with a 'tip-tronic' gearbox would also be classed as an automatic (even when the gear is changed manually).

What's the story with paddle change gearboxes? Presumable they are also classed as 'automatic'?

As far as I know the deciding factor is whether there is a clutch or not. So 'Tip-Tronic' would be treated as automatic.

Never seen anyone come to a test with a paddle shift car, not very common unless you go into the DB9 type territory and I'd like to see the testers face if you turned up in a DB9 or Ferrari :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As far as I know the deciding factor is whether there is a clutch or not. So 'Tip-Tronic' would be treated as automatic.

Never seen anyone come to a test with a paddle shift car, not very common unless you go into the DB9 type territory and I'd like to see the testers face if you turned up in a DB9 or Ferrari :eek:

They're more common than you think, VW golfs have tip-tronic gearboxes as an option, as does a lot of VWs/Skoda's range of cars.
    I would agree, the deciding factor is the clutch at the end of the day, no clutch = restricted license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd like to see the testers face if you turned up in a DB9 or Ferrari :eek:

I'd pay to see that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

I was asking my instructor about this today. He said you can use them but you'll get faults if you don't do proper observation as well.

In terms of the handbrake assist, thats incase you forget to put it down it does it for you. If in test you dont release it yourself you will get a fault each time you do it. That'd be quite interesting to see someones score sheet after that test considering how often you use it in a 40min drive!!!

I was asking my instructor about this today. He said you can use them but you'll get faults if you don't do proper observation as well.

In terms of the handbrake assist, thats incase you forget to put it down it does it for you. If in test you dont release it yourself you will get a fault each time you do it. That'd be quite interesting to see someones score sheet after that test considering how often you use it in a 40min drive!!!

Definitely correct on still needing to do proper observation out the rear window even if you have cameras, parking sensors etc.

However on the electronic handbrake there is no issue with just driving off and having it auto-release - you will not be faulted for that as that is the way the system is designed to be used! In most cases you cant manually release those handbrakes unless you have your foot on the foot brake first...if you end up doing that it defeats the purpose of having the handbrake on in the first place - especially on a hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 theocn

What Driveskill said is correct & your instructor is wrong, whether you can manually release the auto brake or not, you don't have to on the test.

Advertisement