Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to find name of book!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

ok, not sure this belongs here or in literature, but please move as appropriate :)

friend recommended and loaned a book, The Celestine Prophecy, to me. i really really enjoyed it, and it certainly made me stop, think, and change the way i approach a lot of things. came at a good point of my life and was definitely a positive change in a lot of my perspectives.

he went on to recommend a book that i'd like, and i cannot remember the name of it. it's a book of poetry, and, the way he described it is that you could open it up on any page, and the poem would seem appropriate, or meaningful...

it's a foreign name, as far as i can make out... teh closest my mind can get to it is 'the dijon di', though i know that's not it, probably not even all that close... there's a 't', in teh first word. *shrugs*

means 'the way of the way'. does anyone here have any idea wtf this book could be?

any and all help gratefully accepted, i can't seem to refine my google search enough to find it, plus, i don't quite think i'd recognise it if i did find it. :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Would it be better and quicker to ask your friend for the details of the book?
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to post them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

it'll probably be another week before i get in touch with him, and after that, he's moving down south for the winter. got a few books i wana order in one go, and want to get them in time for a mate's birthday. ill be trying to get in touch over the weekend, but figured i'd have a better chance of getting the info off the internet... particularly as he can't spell the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

it'll probably be another week before i get in touch with him, and after that, he's moving down south for the winter. got a few books i wana order in one go, and want to get them in time for a mate's birthday. ill be trying to get in touch over the weekend, but figured i'd have a better chance of getting the info off the internet... particularly as he can't spell the title.

Hi

I thought maybe it might be a Tao philosophy book, so I googled this http://jonathanscorner.com/way/way3.html don't know if that's it but anyway....hope you find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The Tao Teh Ching possibly?

Babooshka wrote: »
    Hi

I thought maybe it might be a Tao philosophy book, so I googled this http://jonathanscorner.com/way/way3.html don't know if that's it but anyway....hope you find it!

hmmm, im gonna print that off and hopefully bring it iwth me next time i see my mate. it looks possible, but tbh, what i've read of it so far, im a little disapointed if that is it.
    18AD wrote: »
    The Tao Teh Ching possibly?

this also looks quite possible. gonna print it off as well. kinda like the look of that book a bit more, would engage me more than the other there.

hey, as a matter of curiosity, has anyone here read 'The Celestine Prophecy'? if you have, are there any other books you could recommend someone who's pretty new to the concepts mentioned, but very interested in learning more?

• Advertisement

hey, as a matter of curiosity, has anyone here read 'The Celestine Prophecy'? if you have, are there any other books you could recommend someone who's pretty new to the concepts mentioned, but very interested in learning more?

I did yes, years ago, so can't remember lots of it. If you're into that book, another author is Paulo Coelho, most people really like "The Alchemist", which is about spiritual journeying and has a lot of metaphors in it. I prefer another one he wrote called "Veronika decides to die", which sounds fairly morbid but it's not as morbid as it sounds. They're almost like spiritual fables and can conjur nice imagery and make you think. Happy reading. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

No I havent, whats it about?

Babooshka wrote: »
    I did yes, years ago, so can't remember lots of it. If you're into that book, another author is Paulo Coelho, most people really like "The Alchemist", which is about spiritual journeying and has a lot of metaphors in it. I prefer another one he wrote called "Veronika decides to die", which sounds fairly morbid but it's not as morbid as it sounds. They're almost like spiritual fables and can conjur nice imagery and make you think. Happy reading. :)

ooh, you know, i spent a while in therapy and that crap, and a lot of people then (support group) were recommending paulo coehlo, and mentioned what a difference the books made. i remember one quote in particular,
    “In his or her life, each person can take one of two attitudes: to build or to plant. Builders may take years over their tasks, but one day they will finish what they are doing. Then they will stop, hemmed in by their own walls. Life becomes meaningless once the building is finished. Those who plant suffer the storms and the seasons and rarely rest. Unlike a building, a garden never stops growing. And by its constant demands on the gardener’s attention, it makes the gardener’s life a great adventure.” Coelho
    i particularly liked.

JMCD wrote: »
    No I havent, whats it about?
    hmm, it's a sort of fiction adventure, but it's basically conveying the this philosophy/belief system of how we should live, i think it's based around some ancient eastern beliefs, but as the main character goes through the adventure, he learns more of these 'insights' into life and the world around him.

i really don't know a lot about most things spiritual, most of my reading is usually mythical based fantasy, but this, it kind of draws on ideas of things happening for reasons, making the most of your situation, trusting your instinct, and changing certain aspects of your behaviour, as well as looking at clues as to why you're here... it's quite an interesting book, and while i'd take issue with certain insights, others i have adopted to my life and have made a difference.

i guess it's one you have to read to get, really, it was a really really popular book (think there's a film too), so i'd imagine it can be found pretty cheap second hand... going on amazon.co.uk for 1p .

......... so i'd imagine it can be found pretty cheap second hand... going on amazon.co.uk for 1p .

:pac: I think you'd be right, it's pretty old, and I'd say if you keep your eyes peeled you may find it in a thrift store. I dunno where you're based but if there's any large second hand book stores or flea markets you should be lucky. You should also do a search on the entirity of boards (type in "Celestine Prophecy" into the search field) for other threads as there are quite a few. From what I can gather, there's a mixture of feelings on the books mentioned, but I guess that's different taste for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

are there any other books you could recommend someone who's pretty new to the concepts mentioned, but very interested in learning more?

I would strongly recommend A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. It is an extremely engaging read which helped me a great deal. i believe Oprah was raving about it, she had interviews on her website with the author talking through each chapter.

Also have a look at The Secret and What The Bleep Do We Know, both very interesting.

Tim

• Advertisement

cool, will check em out alright.

(dont' suppose your username has anything to do with jeff martin's band? )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

Er no actually but that is the first time its been mentioned to me :)

Good luck with books, they are great. There is a movie version of The Secret and also What The Beep.

meh, not watched a film for months, and no intention of starting now. ill stick with my books and surfing, thanks :)

waiting for a friend to put in an order with me, and im gonna order all my books, probably next monday. think ive about 15 to order altogether, no time at all for movies then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

the tao te ching is the book it seems or the i ching 'the book of changes'
    I've read some of redfields stuff
    but his expiriential guides of the novels appealed to me
    probably because of their factual nature and references to other sources and interesting people and philosophies/teachings
    the is also a celestine prophecy film which I haven't seen yet
    I've also been reading this magazine recently
    http://www.resurgence.org/
    more alternative views on life ,modern culture, spirituality and nature
    also these teachings based on the law of attraction are well worth a look
    http://www.abraham-hicks.com
    their books are now available in tesco along with the secret and eckhart tolle
    heres an interesting article on the man himself
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/11/eckhart-tolle-interview-spirituality
    heres a similar teacher
    http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/
    http://jkrishnamurti.ning.com/
    theres also irelands own paddy mcmahon or patrick francis as hes called on his books
    http://www.paddymcmahon.com/index.htm
    he does the youtube these days
    a good few videos there to chill out with
    enjoy the spiritual journey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have you read Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam?

Source: http://www.armory.com/~thrace/ev/siir/Omar_Khayyam.html

Or The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran?

Source: http://leb.net/~mira/works/prophet/prophet.html

gyah! why would you underline something that's not supposed to be clicked?!

nope, not read it, but shall add to list. aww man, winter's here, i just know im not gonna stick to my 'save up money, surf on weekdays and snowboard weekends' thing... i shall drink on weekends, surf every day and read in the meantime. but that's ok, ive tonnes to read, and hell, i need all the positive ideas i can get right now. thanks guys, im really appreciating all the input in here now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

gyah! why would you underline something that's not supposed to be clicked?!
    Force of habit writing papers for university with referencing. Our semester is ending in a couple of weeks and papers are due. Ug!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker, is a good read, IMHO. Is years since I read it, but is one which as stuck in my mind.

Advertisement