Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will new NCT Points be enforced?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Just wondering on peoples views on the new 5 points for cars without an NCT Cert....

Situation of a person I am close to who's employment is extremely insecure but dependent on his car to travel there, car has emissions slightly over the limit meaning it will not pass....he cannot afford the the cost to fix & pass NCT or buy a new NCT certed car at the moment. The car is perfectly road worthy and in good nick but for these emissions.

So.....how strictly do people reckon the Gardai will be with these new points? Will they reserve judgment and give them out when cars are blatantly un-roadworthy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

In all probability it will be like all interactions with the guards.

In my experience...

You will be most definitely get the full force of the law applied to you if you are "cheeky" to them. Or say something they disagree with. Or argue with them. Or look at them funny.

Aside from that, what happens to you will be highly variable depending on..

The personality of the guard.
    The mood of the guard.

It shouldn't work like this, but that is exactly how the guards operate.
    You might as well roll a dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I don't know if this is any help to you, but, I drive a large 2.2TD. Anyway, the car is a bit of an antique at this stage but it will run on cooking oil unmodified - rape seed.

I put the car through the nct last year and it failed on emissions - I ran it on cooking oil and the emissions dropped and the car sailed through the retest.

Then the price of diesel dropped and the price of oil in the shops skyrocketed so the car is now on diesel alone. I don't know how old your car is but if it's diesel you might be able to get the emissions down that way.

I hope this helps

Riv

Advertisement