Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer Switch & Lights

Options
  • 01-05-2009 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I have a Dimmer Switch installed in my living room.

I need to get a new light fixture installed.

Will all/most lights work with a dimmer switch or are some restricted ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Twill tell ya on the box generally if its dimmable or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if your going for low voltage the transformer in the fitting will tell you. if its mains then they are usually ok with dimmers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you answer the questions below we can tell you.
    What type of light are you getting? What sort of lamp does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

2011 wrote: »
    If you answer the questions below we can tell you.
    What type of light are you getting? What sort of lamp does it take?

Sorry not sure what terms to use here :)

At the moment i have one of those cheap chandelier type things with the candle type bulds.

I'll probbaly be replacing it some something similiar with a more effiecent buld or LED.

Are those hard to fit/wire? Could i do it myself or will i need to get someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'll probbaly be replacing it some something similiar with a more effiecent buld or LED.

Are those hard to fit/wire? Could i do it myself or will i need to get someone in.

Most of the eco solutions are not dimmable. You can get them just a small selection. Any decent lightshop will be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

At the moment i have one of those cheap chandelier type things with the candle type bulds.
    This is dimmable.
    As Davey said, normally this type of lamp is not dimmable.

In general if you want to dim a lamp it is to create a nice atmosphere. Energy efficient lamps are often to too good for creating a nice atmosphere, they give a more harsh light.

My advice is to stick with the lamp type (incandescent) that you have at present if you like the quality of light from them.

Advertisement