Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle

Options
  • 01-05-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Complete Newbie here. Want to get an good air rifle for target shooting.

What's the application process to get a licence?

Also, what are the most important things I should look for when I go to buy?

Thanks guys,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Hi M,

In terms of the licensing, this depends on whether you are in NI or ROI, so some info on that would be good. If you are in ROI, I'm afraid I can't help you.

When looking at the type of rifle you want, you need to decide on whether you wants a spring rifle, generally cheaper, self sufficient, single shot, arguably somewhat more difficult to master or a precharged rifle, more expensive, needs to be filled with air regularly, often multishot, easier to shoot due to lack of recoil. When you have decided this, then look at your budget and what you can get for the money, bearing in mind that you need to budget for a decent scope as well, especially if target is your interest.

Looking at Air Rifle specific forums is also a good way to find out about different rifles, but never buy a rifle solely on somebody elses recommendation. You need to hold it, feel the weight, see if it fits you and how it shoots. This is why meeting up with a club is good, you can try a few different rifles before you decide what works for you.

Above all, air rifles are a fun and less expensive way to enjoy shooting, they are the only thing I shoot, and I don't regret not going for a powder burner. That is just my opinion of course and others probably will disagree with me.....

Stefan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks for the reply mate!

Yep, I'm based in the ROI.

My friend has a spring powered air rifle and I think I'd prefer to go with that option.

I'd probably be willing to spend around 500-600 Euro.

I'd like something relatively powerful.
    If anyone has some general recommendations or good starting points, that would be great.

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Great! €500-600 will get you a lot of rifle, for that sort of money, minus some for a nice scope, you could even look at something like a second hand gasram Theoben, or similar, they have the advantages of a spring powered rifle in that they are self contained but they have a gas ram rather than a spring. They can be tuned to higher power settings and do not suffer from recoil to the same extent. Many people swear by them as an all round rifle, although they do take a little getting used to. However, if it is your first rifle, you'll not be used to anything else and you'll find the learning curve easier.

In terms of scopes, have a look through a Nikko Sterling Diamond scope, in your required magnification. They are very nice pieces of glass for a fair price in my opinion.

Stefan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

KoI, when you say 'target shooting', had you anything specific in mind? Are you more thinking of knocking over tin cans or more along the lines of ISSF air rifle or something more like field air rifle or what?

Also, the application process for all rifles in the ROI is the same - read more about it here.

To begin with I'll probably just be tin cans :)

Basically, I've lived in the countryside all my life and want an excuse to get outside and get some fresh air at the weekends.

I've used my friends rifle and really enjoyed it.

The next step I presume is to talk to my local firearms dealer. I just don't want to go in and buy something that's not great quality or get overcharged.

Is there any issue telling the guards that you just want a gun for target shooting, or would they be happier if you said that you wanted it for vermin control or the likes?

Thanks for the help so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

You will need to get written permissions from 2 or 3 landowners to shoot on their lands or a membership of a gun club to get a licence.
    Spring guns are a great way to learn to shoot. With that sort of budget you should be able to get something good. My preference would be for a Weihrauch - google the weihrauch hw80 and you will see I'm not alone. Great gun that comes equipped with good open sights as standard. The Theoben guns are very good also but a bit pricier and I have heard of a few gas rams that leaked. I would go for .177 calibre even though it isnt as powerful as the same gun in .22 - The selection of ammo in .177 is much better as this seems to be the calibre of choice for target shooting. The .177 has a much flatter trajectory too making it easier to shoot.
    Incidentally you can fit a Theoben Gas Ram to a HW 80 at a later stage if the spring gets a bit tired.
    Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, if it's outdoor shooting you want to do, you're probably better off getting a .22 rifle (as in, a smallbore cartridge rifle) instead - more competitions and more people doing them.

No, no issue with getting a firearm for target shooting. They'd expect you to join a target shooting club, but you'd want to do that anyway.

Where - roughly - are you in the country?

I'm based in the west. I live on a farm so I presume I wouldn't need permission from other land owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi
    I'm in the same position as the OP. I was talking to a local famer this morning who said he was fine with it, the local gun-shop said that I need permission form two land owners. I was just wondering what do I need them to say on the letter, do I need them to state the foilo number [if that's the correct term] of their land? I need to get permission form another land owner.

I do a bit of target shooting when I'm in Spain and would like to carry on with it over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

first of all, you must get either: letters from two landowners saying they give permission for you to shoot their land/ or/ JOIN A GUN CLUB!

its swings and roundabouts with regards plinking, bunny bashing etc..

eg i own shotgun and spring powered air rifle, my shooting companion owns .17hmr rifle, shotguns, and pcp air rifle... for an afternoons craic, we both prefer doing some plinking (albeit slightly competitive) between us. we would set up targets ranging from 30,40,45,50,60,70,90 yds (only the pcp will be accurate enough for scoring from 50 yds on) it also helps to have a good scope or/and binos/spotting scope.

come to think of it, in the last 12 mnths, myself and my mate have come on that good with the air-rifles, i think we should step it up a gear and join a target club.... hmm food for thought.

heres a rough example of the typical plinking stuff to be at. this was the other week using my friends air arms pcp .22 s410 xtra fac at a few cherry tomatoes and grapes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFRW7CuKuY&feature=channel_page
    (please no comments re backsop etc, it was miles from any civilisation and its air-rifle!)

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »
    first of all, you must get either: letters from two landowners saying they give permission for you to shoot their land/ or/ JOIN A GUN CLUB!

its swings and roundabouts with regards plinking, bunny bashing etc..

eg i own shotgun and spring powered air rifle, my shooting companion owns .17hmr rifle, shotguns, and pcp air rifle... for an afternoons craic, we both prefer doing some plinking (albeit slightly competitive) between us. we would set up targets ranging from 30,40,45,50,60,70,90 yds (only the pcp will be accurate enough for scoring from 50 yds on) it also helps to have a good scope or/and binos/spotting scope.

come to think of it, in the last 12 mnths, myself and my mate have come on that good with the air-rifles, i think we should step it up a gear and join a target club.... hmm food for thought.

heres a rough example of the typical plinking stuff to be at. this was the other week using my friends air arms pcp .22 s410 xtra fac at a few cherry tomatoes and grapes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFRW7CuKuY&feature=channel_page
    (please no comments re backsop etc, it was miles from any civilisation and its air-rifle!)

Cheers mate thanks, is their name, address [the usual] then stating that they give me permission to use their land for that purpose. Would that suffice?

I know is has more than likely been asked 1000 times, but having a read over some of the threads I can't find the answer. I just don't want to have to go back again if its not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers mate thanks, is their name, address [the usual] then stating that they give me permission to use their land for that purpose. Would that suffice?

I know is has more than likely been asked 1000 times, but having a read over some of the threads I can't find the answer. I just don't want to have to go back again if its not right.

You're local garda will give you a form for the land owners to sign

boc121 wrote: »
    You're local garda will give you a form for the land owners to sign

Ok I see now, I thought it was a letter the land owner had to write himself. I was confused when one person agreed to "sign something for me". Cheers thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Hey, just a question about air rifles. Would the fact that im 16 be any reason for a garda not to give permission to allow me hold a licence.

What i mean is, would he think that im only 16 and maybe too young.

( None of this has happened im just wondering, could it happen.)

My brother and dad are members in the local gun club, Should i join? Would it be a help?

P.S its pretty hard to write using the ps3 because my pc broke about 10 mins ago during thunder and lightning,while typing this originally.that would be the reason for the edit :)

Advertisement