Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upside to the recession

Options
  • 01-05-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I heard on the news a couple of days ago that the Central Bank annouced that folk were clearing their debt and credit card bills. I thought this was a positive side to the recession.

Does anyone have any other observations about the recession and some of the more positive things emerging from it? eg; realistic house prices (not there yet!!) and an upsurge in bike use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

2nd hand car prices are very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yup second hand car prices have dropped. looking to get myself a nice little motor and there a lot more options out there for less than i thought. woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

i have been hit really hard by the recession but can still see the up side..when people are struggling they can tell who there friends are......I hope this recession will help give the irish back their sense of comminity.also the price of everything in this country was getting out of hand.we all needed a come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Upside is that, although our income is low, lots of things are cheaper.

Also, I'm hoping the recruitment agency industry dies off forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've lost my job, but this means I get to type this from my sunny front garden instead of an office, and I get to spend the afternoon having fun in the sea.

(This is only the silver lining mind, I'd prefer to have a job).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Rents have fallen substantially. Not much consolation if you have a mortgage, but great if you never had enough money to dream of actually buying a house…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

darrenon wrote: »
    i have been hit really hard by the recession but can still see the up side..when people are struggling they can tell who there friends are......I hope this recession will help give the irish back their sense of comminity.also the price of everything in this country was getting out of hand.we all needed a come down.

Well said! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

its now more socially acceptable to haggle/ bargain with retailers instead of just blindly paying the display price.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Irish are no longer ashamed to be seen in Lidl/Aldi.

Traffic congestion isn't as bad.

Lots of sales on.

Dunnes have (though only just) started to have some competitively priced things.

More people going to church (may or may not be seen as a good thing!)

Sterling has come down relative to the euro, better prices for those travelling up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JustMary wrote: »

Sterling has come down relative to the pound, better prices for those travelling up north.

??? pound weight ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I only work a 4 day week now with every Friday off. Fookin love it! The recession has also made me examine my own spendings more critically and even though I'm getting paid less now I have more money than ever at the end of every month. When things turn around again I should be in a fairly healthy financial situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

not that lucky i work for myself and have,nt done anything for 3 months,,,but enjoying the family time

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Has rent really come down? I'd love to hear some examples, particularly in and around the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Indeed it has. We demanded and got 100 yops of the rent, right in the city centre.

m83 wrote: »
    Indeed it has. We demanded and got 100 yops of the rent, right in the city centre.

Hmm going to have to check that out before signing a new lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Unless you're moving to a new apartment, why would you sign a new lease?

You don't have to once you've been there over 6 months since your tenancy is protected under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act (2004).

Xiney wrote: »
    Unless you're moving to a new apartment, why would you sign a new lease?

You don't have to once you've been there over 6 months since your tenancy is protected under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act (2004).

I'm moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 twinkle_toes

we went to see a 4 bed house on the west side last week, rent 900pcm. after saying we didnt want it the rent dropped and dropped to 700pcm. we didnt take it because of some problems with the house but the moral of the story is haggle like crazy. landlords will always give agencies the price they'd like and the price they'll take so dont be afraid. they havent much choice this weather. see the advertiser? gone down to 1 page of jobs and a million pages of accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hopefully there will not be as many muppets around Galway City on the Wednesday and Thursday nights of race week this year!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

we went to see a 4 bed house on the west side last week, rent 900pcm. after saying we didnt want it the rent dropped and dropped to 700pcm. we didnt take it because of some problems with the house but the moral of the story is haggle like crazy. landlords will always give agencies the price they'd like and the price they'll take so dont be afraid. they havent much choice this weather. see the advertiser? gone down to 1 page of jobs and a million pages of accommodation!

Trying a bit of haggling alright, considering the current climate. Still amazes me how many 'bedrooms' a landlord will try and fit in a house in Galway in order to up the rent :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yep second hand cars are alot cheaper! my rent also dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

we got our 3 bed rental reduced
    from €750 to €550 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

minxie wrote: »
    we got our 3 bed rental reduced
    from €750 to €550 :D
    Where is that?

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Where is that?

ballybane....
    just said to landlord that we could get a 3 bed if we went a
    bit further out of town for less
    a week of haggling and hey presto,was dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

minxie wrote: »
    ballybane....
    just said to landlord that we could get a 3 bed if we went a
    bit further out of town for less
    a week of haggling and hey presto,was dropped
    Very good, Well done. I think I'll have to wait til my lease is up for renewal unfortunately but that is exactly the line I was thinking of delivering to my landlord too.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Very good, Well done. I think I'll have to wait til my lease is up for renewal unfortunately but that is exactly the line I was thinking of delivering to my landlord too.

well you have nothing to lose by asking :)
    the galway advertiser is full of rentals
    at the minute bound to be a few bargains to be had...
    good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have no problem haggling when buying things (except in the likes of chain stores/supermarkets etc. obviously) and always used to ask "Is that the best you can do / Can you do any better?" - The upside to the recession is that now when I ask this, I don't get stared at as if I have two heads... they're almost expecting the question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

For people who were smart and saved some money this recession is great

lol @ debt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For people who were smart and saved some money this recession is great

lol @ debt

FACT! I can't wait for this summer and have loads of plans made for as soon as I finish my exams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

Renting 4 bed for 3 years @ 800/month, will deffo try to haggle that down.

Advertisement