Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Data pre pay

• 01-05-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Do any of you guys have experience in using mobile interweb while in the USA?

I am on the 1GB vodafone pack over here which allows me access to my push mail from Exchange via isp.vodafone.ie but spend a considerable amount of time in the US and reckoned it would be more cost effective to get myself a US pre paid SIM for data only.

Vodefone would be charging me €100 a month which is way OTT for the amount of mail I get and pay as you go would be a minimum of €9 a day which is even dearer...

Any ideas as to what US carriers would facilitate push access? T-mobile and Virgin are the most likely candidates but it's clear as mud on their sites and I can't find a US equivalant of boards:)

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

you can use the 99c a day for 50mb data over the live apn. same price in ireland as in roaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Flodis79, thanks for that info. This will be useful if I can't get any info on the US SIM. I am trying not to get hit with any roaming charges though which could be huge if I was online for any length of time.

I travel to the US very regularly but am stuck with having to get a payg fone as I have no residence there. Would really like a US SIM if there was such a thing.

S

The power of google

http://www.usasims.com/

looks like these will do the trick if I can't get something from the carriers directly!

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

When you are roaming on the vodafone network! Last I checked they didn't have a network in the U.S.
    flodis79 wrote: »
    you can use the 99c a day for 50mb data over the live apn. same price in ireland as in roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The live apn is one of the only decent deals on data, not everything works with it but having some things work is better than nothing. Is there a definitive list of roaming networks where the it works? I have always found the Voda website slightly unclear about roaming in more distant lands.

On strategy for email is to set up a gmail account, which works on live with the gmail client, and forward mail to that.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    When you are roaming on the vodafone network! Last I checked they didn't have a network in the U.S.

Nah it is 99c on any network you roam on if they have data roaming with that particular one. I used it recently in the Philippines and it worked great. could only get onto data when in gsm mode, not 3g, though. Since none of the networks in PH is listed as offering prepay roaming with vodafone i suggest you try it in the US, they might have roaming there even though the website might not list US as roaming country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

pre pay in the US is really dismal.

u can get 1mb for $5 and you have to buy a special data topup card for that. on at&t prepaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since none of the networks in PH is listed as offering prepay roaming with vodafone

Voda UK has clear information for each country, showing for example that you can use your prepaid UK phone in the Philippines. I suspect that Voda Ireland phones may have similar arrangements in practice, they just haven't made it clear.

Relevant to this thread Voda UK prepaid users can use Voda Live in the US. Perhaps someone who have been there can say if Live works at the 99c rate.

towel401,

this is exactly what I'm looking for. A pre paid card that offers data! I wont be using that much, it's only for when I'm out and about but this is gotta be cheaper than paying roaming and data per day with Vodafone.

What I'd really like is 1st hand experience from someone who has used one of this while travelling. My PDA is unlocked so I won't have any hassles ..

S

sn00ps wrote: »
    towel401,

this is exactly what I'm looking for. A pre paid card that offers data! I wont be using that much, it's only for when I'm out and about but this is gotta be cheaper than paying roaming and data per day with Vodafone.

What I'd really like is 1st hand experience from someone who has used one of this while travelling. My PDA is unlocked so I won't have any hassles ..

S

I doubt you would get it much cheaper than the 99c a day deal on Vodafone Live! The works out at 50MB per day, so about 1.5GB per month for 30 euros, not bad for data in roaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ok simple, Vodafone PrePay has no definate data network in America but when i was there this time last year i was using vodafone live and the vodafone MISP access points, the vodafone live worked a treat and only costs 99c a day, i used the MISP for the use with Cabbage texter. I was using it across AT&T and T-Mobile, and worked best on AT&T. Hope this makes it somewhat clearer for you.

Ah-Watch

thanks a mil. Will give it a shot. I guess I'm still going to get screwed with the US roaming charges for general connectivity but not sure there is anyway around that. 99c a day for data is fine and I certainly wont be chewing up the BW.

If anyone is interested I will make a couple of enquiries when I'm there to see what's available on a PAYG basis.

S

Advertisement