Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Keano shut up? Now with added FUNK

• 01-05-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

I know he's a red legend and I am a defender of all things Keane but does anyone else think he should stop commenting on other clubs/managers/his sunderland time and get on with the job at Ipswich?

I saw him on the network 2 news last night telling Trap to do anything do get Ireland back in the squad? Does he not think he has already tried evereything?

He was in the paper there a while ago too asking how Bruce and Hughes were successful? I know maybe he has a point but why invite this needless negative publicity on yourself? He also had a go at Tony Cascarino...which I fully approve of but again, why the needless bad vibes?

I like Keane and awful lot but I really think he should just shut up and do his job quietly and competently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He speaks the truth, nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He's just trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

isnt he on the late late show tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    He speaks the truth, nothing wrong with it.

I think thats a bit blinkered though. He might be right but that doesnt make it ok to spout these things in public? He has nothing really to gain from it and a lot to lose.

"If you've nothing nice to day, say nothing" and all that. He is just giving the ordinary joe's more of a reason to dislike him.

Why bring such negative influences into his relationships with other managers and football people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Headshot wrote: »
    isnt he on the late late show tonight ?

He is, just seen the ad on RTE1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Here's the story on Superman -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1175881/Keane-Id-sleep-outside-Stephen-Irelands-house-play-Republic-again.html?ITO=1490
    Keane: I'd sleep outside Stephen Ireland's house if it made him play for the Republic again

Roy Keane has heaped the pressure on Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni and said he would sleep outside Stephen Ireland’s house to persuade him to lead Ireland's World Cup campaign.

The Manchester City midfielder's self-imposed exile following his controversial exit two years ago when he claimed two grandmothers had died. Trapattoni and his assistant Liam Brady have met Ireland to welcome him back, but Ireland is refusing to budge.

Keane, who labelled Ireland as the best Irish player in football at the moment, said: 'When Brian Clough was manager and was trying to get Archie Gemmill to sign, he slept on the sofa. I wouldn’t sleep on Stephen Ireland’s sofa but I’d sleep outside his house to try and get him back.

'He would obviously make a big, big, difference to the Irish team,' he added. 'He looks happy in himself, playing for Man City. He’s been one of the most consistent players in the Premiership this season, in a team that has been inconsistent.

'What I would say to the lad, if I ever bumped into him in Manchester, I’d say “listen, your career is over before you know it, if you get an opportunity to play for Ireland under a good manager then go for it.”

'He might have a reason and we have to respect that whatever it might be. But never say never. I'd keep persevering. If I was Trapattoni, I would literally sleep outside his house.'

Although Keane has cranked the pressure on Trapattoni, whose side lie second in their qualifying group behind Italy, he backed his decision to overlook Andy Reid, a player he signed for Sunderland last season.
    roy keane

Making a point: Roy Keane

Keane, who returned to management last week to take over Championship side Ipswich Town, added: 'Andy Reid has as much quality as any player but he doesn’t deserve to be in the Ireland squad at this moment in time, as he’s not doing enough. I think Reidy could be fitter.

'Trapattoni is an experienced manager, he looks at the players who are in form and are playing week-in, week-out, not once every four weeks and it’s not as if Ireland are having bad results.

'I think the likes of Reidy, Carsley and one or two others, I don’t think they’ve too much to complain about to be honest with you.

'Trapattoni has got more experience of us put together in terms of football. I wouldn’t dare question what he’s doing with the players he’s selected. I look at one or two players who are playing on past reputation, one or two have not kicked a ball three years.

'This idea of picking players on form, I’m in favour of it; (Fabio) Capello does it.

'When it comes to picking players, there’s a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. One Irish player in particular hasn’t kicked a ball in three years and seems to play every time he’s come over. I can’t work that one out.'

He's just trying to poach him for the Ipswich revival ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Hes entitled to his opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Keane will never shut up. He likes to hear himself me thinks. He obviously knows that there is no such thing as bad publicity;)

Hes entitled to his opinion!

So were Glenn Hoddle, Ian Wright and Ron Atkinson.

I know its nothing on that scale but same principle? Why say it? What do you gain from it?

keane is right this time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Maybe if we don't listen..........if we ignore him he'll go away. His public aspersions on other young managers show a lack of class, tbh. And he is short on qualifications to be telling Trapatoni how to do his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I <3 Keane, but it's not the outbursts that bug me, rather his running self-commentary on his own management: I said this to that in training, If the players are late for training, it'll be a short relationship etd. Any other manager would be ridiculed for it.

At this stage, he's being hired as much to generate short-term publicity /impact around clubs, as for any nascent management skills he might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think thats a bit blinkered though. He might be right but that doesnt make it ok to spout these things in public? He has nothing really to gain from it and a lot to lose.

"If you've nothing nice to day, say nothing" and all that. He is just giving the ordinary joe's more of a reason to dislike him.

Why bring such negative influences into his relationships with other managers and football people?

What is your assessment of Alex Ferguson's management style then?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

going a bit Off topic arent ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Maybe if we don't listen..........if we ignore him he'll go away. His public aspersions on other young managers show a lack of class, tbh. And he is short on qualifications to be telling Trapatoni how to do his job.
    He's hardly telling Traps how to do his job! He was just answering a question which was put to him about Steven Ireland. He was actually very complimentary towards Trapattoni saying he thought he had done a great job so far and that he was right to leave Reid out of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

He should shut up when he starts making outlandish statements...........

Success affords you a bit more leeway in your personal behaviour toward players and other managers. Sometimes, Roy seems to be excoriating all in range without the achievement, or even the club job, to back it up.

Well see from what I know of Ferguson, He is top of his game, arguably the best ever and always has motives when he speaks in public or, at least, appears to have motives.

I cant see any reason Keane would slate Hughes or Bruce. They are not near rivals. They are not managers in his teams league.

I can see no reason to question trap, there may come a time where he needs a favour from him regarding playing players he needs fit and rested. Fergie has the presence and respect to ask this, Keane does not and questioning a man of his experience will not endear him to trap.

I can see absolutely no reason for him to slate Cascarino, I dont think Ive ever heard Ferguson has a go at someone like that? If Im wrong Im wrong.

In short, Fergie has the clout and built the respect through his successes to be able to say things he feels will give his team an advantage whether or not they are right. Keane hasn't and won't ever if he keeps up the needless slating.

Well see from what I know of Ferguson, He is top of his game, arguably the best ever and always has motives when he speaks in public or, at least, appears to have motives.

I cant see any reason Keane would slate Hughes or Bruce. They are not near rivals. They are not managers in his teams league.

I can see no reason to question trap, there may come a time where he needs a favour from him regarding playing players he needs fit and rested. Fergie has the presence and respect to ask this, Keane does not and questioning a man of his experience will not endear him to trap.

I can see absolutely no reason for him to slate Cascarino, I dont think Ive ever heard Ferguson has a go at someone like that? If Im wrong Im wrong.

In short, Fergie has the clout and built the respect through his successes to be able to say things he feels will give his team an advantage whether or not they are right. Keane hasn't and won't ever if he keeps up the needless slating.

I think the Cas thing comes down to Cas commenting that he would never work in management after he walked out of Sunderland. I may be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

He was asked a direct question regarding ex United players going on to become 'successful' managers. He then posed the question of success - don't you have to win things to be successful? That's hardly slated them. He didn't say they were **** or getting recognition they didn't deserve. He simply said they haven't won anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think Evil Roy Keane is in no position whatsoever to comment on anyone not playing for Ireland and on management efforts or lack thereof to bring said people back into the squad. He did forego the right to do so when he walked out on his country right before what should have been the most promising tournament in Irelands football history over some stupid personal squabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

bryanjf wrote: »
    He should shut up when he starts making outlandish statements...........

He should shut up instead of making outlandish statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Should Keane shut up? No, he has a right to his opinion.

Journalists and reporters ask him questions because they know his answers will sell them Newspapers, and make people watch their TV Shows.

And start threads on Message Boards.

His recent statements have hardly been outlandish?

I think alot of what he says is pumped up 100% by the media, especially in the tabloids.

E.g Comments regarding Hughes and Bruce were transformed into "Bunch of Losers" in one of the tabloids I mean sensationalism or what!

Headshot wrote: »
    going a bit Off topic arent ya :rolleyes:

Not really, given that Keane worked so closely with Ferguson for so long, it wouldn't really be surprising if aspects of his managerial style follow from what he saw the Scot do during that period.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Success affords you a bit more leeway in your personal behaviour toward players and other managers. Sometimes, Roy seems to be excoriating all in range without the achievement, or even the club job, to back it up.

Keane is one of the most successful footballers ever to play in the top division in England (and one of the best). There isn't really a difference between him giving his opinion in press conferences or other former players who give it from a seat in a TV studio, is there?

The other side of the coin is that, like Ferguson, the media and fans of the ilk that post here on boards probably pay Keane an awful lot more attention than the managers and players of the clubs directly affected by their comments.

That's nonsense. Both of them are respected within the game (Keane as one of the greatest players, Ferguson as one of the greatest managers) and now hold similiar job titles. If Ferguson is allowed to say what he likes, then all managers are allowed to say what they like. If you feel Keane should be censored once he takes up a management position, then you should be in favour of censoring all managers - including Ferguson.

Keane has always been outspoken, and one to answer questions put to him in an honest and forthright manner. Good for him.

If you think about the past 10 years it should be crystal clear that he has no intention of 'shutting up'. This is his MO, and probably will be for the rest of his footballing career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I may not agree with everything he says but at least he gives his opinion

At least when he is asked a question he answers it and doesn't try and deflect it or spin it as so many do these days

Personally I think he is a breath of fresh air in much the same was as I did with Mouriniho, he is shaking things up a bit and isn't boring

He hasn't achievied the huge success as a manager that allows him to do a Ferguson and say whatever he likes true or not but I think football would be less interesting without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do the people that complain about Keane's comments actually read the full quotes of what he says?
    It doesn't seem so tbh.

A headline of.......

"Keane tells Trapattoni how to do his job!!"

actually ends up being.......

"When asked about the Stephen Ireland situation Keane says that if he was the Ireland Manager he would do everything in his power to get Ireland back in the squad. He also praises Trapattoni and says that he would never tell the Italian how to do his job."

and,

"Keane Slates ex Team mates!!!"

turns out to be....

"When asked about the success of former Man Utd. players in their new roles as Managers Keane suggests that success is measured by actually winning things"

and,

"Keane Slams Cascarino!!!"

or more accurately....

"Keane has a pop at Cascarino after Cascarino has a pop at Keane"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

realcam wrote: »
    I think Evil Roy Keane is in no position whatsoever to comment on anyone not playing for Ireland and on management efforts or lack thereof to bring said people back into the squad. He did forego the right to do so when he walked out on his country right before what should have been the most promising tournament in Irelands football history over some stupid personal squabble. W*nker.

He was sent home.
    Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow wow wow, please nobody talk about Saipan, it will lead to nowhere :)

---

Either way, I think he's right. I think Trap should be hounding Ireland to play for Ireland again. Whether he is doing that or not currently I don't know, but I completely agree with Keane on this matter.

He was sent home.
    Move on.

Walked first, talked into coming back, gave interview to Tom Humphries (still opionated back then) and was then sent home after his outburst at a team meeting. Just pointing out the facts as they happened , now we will move on.

thegen wrote: »
    Walked first, talked into coming back, gave interview to Tom Humphries (still opionated back then) and was then sent home after his outburst at a team meeting. Just pointing out the facts as they happened , now we will move on.

is it 2002 again? christ!

Keane is correct in saying that Trap should do everything to get Ireland back playing and I would imagine that has been done.

He should keep his opinions on fellow managers to himself, but he wont.

He should keep his opinions on fellow managers to himself, but he wont.[/

Why? if he's asked a question regarding a fellow manager does he not have the right to air his opinion?

Why? if he's asked a question regarding a fellow manager does he not have the right to air his opinion?

Yes, he does have the right 100%. Why he 'should' censor himself is never very well explained by those who seem to believe that it is the 'proper' way to behave.

• Advertisement

Yes, he does have the right 100%. Why he 'should' censor himself is never very well explained by those who seem to believe that it is the 'proper' way to behave.

Yeah, people just saying "he should just shut up"

Why?

For what reason should he keep his opinions to himself?

Because you don't like them is it?

Des wrote: »

Why?

HammerNail.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Some football fans are funny, reminds me of Dunphys "Roy Keane is right about EVERYTHING!!!! quote.

Why?

Well personally I don't believe he always thinks before he speaks. His recent comments about Bruce and Hughes were a bit petty and unnecessary, so much so that he sent messages of apology to both afterwards.

It's one thing to have the right to an opinion but exercising that right correctly is a completely different thing.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well personally I don't believe he always thinks before he speaks. His recent comments about Bruce and Hughes were a bit petty and unnecessary, so much so that he sent messages of apology to both afterwards.

It's one thing to have the right to an opinion but exercising that right correctly is a completely different thing.

Where did you read that he sent messages to them?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Some football fans are funny, reminds me of Dunphys "Roy Keane is right about EVERYTHING!!!! quote.
    link?

And nobody here is saying that Keane is right about everything, just that he is entitled to his opinion as much as the next man.
    Well personally I don't believe he always thinks before he speaks.

He's put on the spot by journalists, asked questions, and answers them.

Meh, so what if he doesn't think, or says controversial things. It's the nature of the man.

If people don't want to listen to him, they can turn off the TV and stop reading tabloid papers.

Why anyone reads Tabloids is beyond me anyway, cretins.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/24/roy-keane-ipswichtown

The Guardian is a fairly reliable source too

Mark Hughes told Xavi himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

His recent comments about Bruce and Hughes were a bit petty and unnecessary,

What were the comments?
    so much so that he sent messages of apology to both afterwards.

That's fair enough, if true.

He's put on the spot by journalists, asked questions, and answers them.

Meh, so what if he doesn't think, or says controversial things. It's the nature of the man.

If people don't want to listen to him, they can turn off the TV and stop reading tabloid papers.

Why anyone reads Tabloids is beyond me anyway, cretins.

And it's that very nature that will cause him hassle down the path, like it has done previously.

Ok scenario time - Keane is manager of a Championship team that will be aiming for promotion next year. He will no doubt be looking for good players to come in and do a job. So if in July Mark Hughes gets a phone call looking for Ched Evans or the like on loan and Sparky gives him the two fingers in response then who loses out? Ipswich.

He seems very good at buring bridges and currently he's not really in the position to be doing so.
    Mark Hughes told Xavi himself.

:rolleyes:

"Who are the good managers you are talking about?" Keane had asked. "Sparky [Hughes] and Brucey have not won a trophy, have they? They have potential but anyone can have potential. Steve Bruce has had a good season but Steve has been a manager for how many years? Until an ex-team-mate of mine from 1994 goes on and really achieves something, then I would not agree about [any of them] being a successful manager. You need a bit more than some of those managers have achieved yet."

Hardly Damning now is it..............

IIRC, Alex Bruce also mentioned in a ST interview at the weekend that Keane and Bruce apparently chatted amicably enough about it afterward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

What's he to do when asked the question(or any question)?? continually say no comment!! is he to be a hermit in Ipswich and shun the outside world?? now that would get tongues wagging :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

stovelid wrote: »
    IIRC, Alex Bruce also mentioned in a ST interview at the weekend that Keane and Bruce apparently chatted amicably enough about it afterward.
    Exactly. I think that supporters and football fans get themselves way more worked up than the actual people involved in these "spats". Bruce looks absolutely devastated here after hearing Royston's cutting bitter comments.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/steve-bruce-laughs-off-roy-keane-criticism/17164031

Pighead wrote: »
    Exactly. I think that supporters and football fans get themselves way more worked up than the actual people involved in these "spats". Bruce looks absolutely devastated here after hearing Royston's cutting bitter comments.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/steve-bruce-laughs-off-roy-keane-criticism/17164031

The most telling part of that little vignette is the line "it's great for you guys"

• Advertisement
Advertisement