Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday Quiz - starts @ 3:30

• 01-05-2009 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Ronseal.

Let me know who's playing, ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ronseal.

Let me know who's playing, ta.

I will try to take part.

Hope they aren't as hard as last week's questions though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

Despite my appalling showing last week, I'll go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Ill give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i'll have a go, unless i get distracted by work and forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'll give it a go if I'm on the computer, which I should be. We just PM the quizmaster our answers within 10 mins each round yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll try give it a go if I'm around. Never been around for any other one. I assume I just mail the answers to the person saying the questions?

Hopefully I'll be around and no doubt i'll be dredful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

almost sure i can give this a go this week

ive got a meeting at 3, but it shouldnt be a long one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Still working on questions, so might be around 3:45 before I post the first set, though I am aiming for a 3:30 start.

Rules:

1. Quiz will consist of 3 rounds, each worth 15pts. Some questions will have multiple answers, and will have points awarded accordingly.

2. First questions to go up at 3:30, you will have 10mins to PM me with answers for that round. Any late replies will be discounted.

3. Next set will go up 10mins later, and last set 10mins after that. Same applies re. PMing answers.

4. Answers will be posted shortly after last round expires, along with scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'll give this a go for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'll give it a shot

Right fellas, first round @ 15:40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

great timing so, just finished my meeting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bollox. :mad:

Every Friday at the same poxy time I get work to do

I'm out

1.Name the four Irishmen (North and South) who have won the PFA Player's Player of the Year (½pt for each)

2.One European club side has the distinction of having the top three ranked players in the yearly Ballon d'Or award. It happened twice in the 1980s, which club?

3.Who am I? I began my playing career with Newells Old Boys, and ended it with Quatari side Al Arabi. I scored 56 goals in 78 appearances for my national side, including 10 in world cup finals, and hold the distinction of being the only player to score hattricks in two finals tournaments.

4.Of the current 20 English PL sides, which was the first to win an FA Cup?

5.Since it's inception, which current PL side has conceded the most goals?

6.Clubs that have won the European Cup/Champions League a total of 5 times, or clubs who have won it three times in a row, are allowed to keep the trophy. Name the five sides to achieve this so far (2pts for 4 correct, 3pts for 5)

7.In what year did Olympique Lyonnais win their first Ligue 1 title?

8.Which club had the lowest attendance for a single game in the PL?

9.Which country has won the African Cup of Nations the most times?

10. What was unusual about Italy's win over the USSR in the 1968 European Championship SF?

11.West Germany faced German opposition on two seperate occasions on their way to winning a World Cup. The second was in 1974, when they lost 1-0 to East Germany in the group stages before defeating the Netherlands in the final. The first was in qualifying for the 1954 World Cup: who did they face? (2pts as this is a hard one)

10mins to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll have to duck out, only seen this now, not enough time to be thinking.:(

1.Pohang Steelers play league football in which Asian country?

2.Which club is the only club to have won a European Double (league title and European Cup/Champions League) by going unbeaten in both competitions for the entire season?

3.Who was the last Englishman to manage a title winning side in the top division of the English league?

4.Which European side holds the record for most domestic doubles (league and primary cup)

5.Who scored the only goal in the first Premier League tie broadcast live on Sky Sports?

6.Which LOI side competed in the 1st season of the rebranded Champions League?

7.Who am I? I began my career in England in the early 1960s with 3rd Division Watford, before moving to the 1st Division where I played the remainder of my club football. I played on both sides of a derby divide, winning FA Cup winners medals with both teams. I am my country's most capped player, and until Roger Milla's appearance at the 1994 World Cup in the US I was the oldest player to appear in a World Cup final's match.

8.Since WW2 only two managers have won league titles in England's top division with two different clubs, who are they? (1pt each)

9.Which club won the 1st Division title in England in the 1st season after the 2nd World War?

10.An Irish team competed at the 1924 Olympics, but against who did Ireland play their first international fixture under the auspices of the FAI (Free State)?

11.In what year was the League of Ireland formed?

12.Three managers have won the UEFA Cup and European Cup/Champions League in consecutive seasons, who are they? (1pt each)

10mins to answer

agh!!!!!!

arrived late, only had time to flick through round 1 quickly, made a complete mess of it.

Good qs so far i must say.

10 mins is less time than you would think though!

• Advertisement

1.What is unusual about the hattrick scored by Ronaldo in Brazil's 3-1 win over Argentina in the qualifying campaign for the 2006 World Cup?

2.Which manager holds the record for most consecutive wins in World Cup finals matches?

3.Which London club was the first to play in a major European club competition (Cup-Winners, Fairs/UEFA Cup, European Cup)?

4.Name the three former European Cup/Champions League finalists who play outside their countries top division. (1pt each)

5.Who won the inaugural European Football Championships in 1960, and in what city was the final played? (1pt each)

6.The abbreviation CSKA indicates what in relation to football teams?

7.Scouser's Half Man Half Biscuit wanted whose away kit for Christmas?

8.Where did Ireland's famous 2-0 win over England in 1949 occur (stadium name please)?

9.Which two clubs compete in the Derby d'Italia? (½pt each)

10.The Superga Air Disaster in 1949 resulted in the death of almost the entire squad of what team?

11.Which player is the highest ranked Serie A goalscorer that is still playing (league goals only)?

12.What fixture is the most played fixture in English league football (both teams required)?

10mins to answer

Very Good mix of questions I must say. Struggled with a fair few but made some educated guesses.

JCos wrote: »
    Very Good mix of questions I must say. Struggled with a fair few but made some educated guesses.

Alot of guesses on my part - that qst on 3 teams playing outside the top flight is bugging me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The West Germany question really confused me :confused:

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Alot of guesses on my part - that qst on 3 teams playing outside the top flight is bugging me...

One was Forest, I guessed the other 2

Right, the answers:

Round 1

1. Jennings, Brady, McGrath, Roy Keane. [2pts]
    2. AC MIlan
    3. Gabriel Batistuta
    4. Blackburn
    5. Spurs
    6. Real, Milan, Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool [2pts for 4, 3pts for 5]
    7. 2002
    8. Wimbledon
    9. Egypt
    10. It was decided by a coin toss after the match ended goal less after 120mins.
    11. Saarland

Round 2

1. South Korea
    2. Ajax
    3. Howard Wilkinson
    4. Linfield
    5. Teddy Sherigham
    6. Shelbourne
    7. Pat Jennings
    8. Brian Clough, Kenny Dalglish (1pt each)
    9. Liverpool
    10. Italy
    11. 1921
    12. Paisley, Benitez, Mourinho (1pt each)

Round 3

1. All goals were penalties.
    2. Scolari
    3. London XI
    4. Leeds, Forest, Stade Reims (1pt each)
    5. USSR, Paris (1pt each)
    6. The club was associated with the armed forces in the Soviet bloc.
    7. Dukla Prague
    8. Goodison Park
    9. Juventus and Inter (1/2 each)
    10. Torino
    11. Totti
    12. Everton vs Villa (both needed)

JCos wrote: »
    One was Forest, I guessed the other 2

another was Leeds i think. the other eludes me. I was trying to think of a big European team who'd been relegated for breaking rules or something but couldn't think of one quickly enough.

Tallies:

Carlop 24
    whatawaster 20
    Jugs82 20
    JCos 16.5
    UnitedIrishman 15.5
    Morzadec 14
    MementoMori 11.5

Well done Carlop.

Good quiz, there were some nasty ones in there!

• Advertisement

Cannot believe I didn't get McGrath. Retard.

I have it on good authority that there is another person helping Carlop out. Is this against the rules? If so he or they should be disqualified and we will need a tiebreaker question for whatawaster and Jugs82 :D

Kicking myself that i didnt get Clough, Scolari or Benetiz answers

Thats German one with Saarland is news to me - weird though!!

Morzadec wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that there is another person helping Carlop out. Is this against the rules? If so he or they should be disqualified and we will need a tiebreaker question for whatawaster and Jugs82 :D

Scandalous allegations.

Any volunteers for next week's quizmaster?

Any volunteers for next week's quizmaster?

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot

• Advertisement
Advertisement