Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rechargeable AA Batteries for Flash

• 01-05-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

What are the best rechargeable batteries and charger for flashes? I'm looking for something that will charge fast, have good capacity and a charger that has a charge level indicator. Cost not a huge issue. Looking for AAs, not a dedicated battery pack.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just use good quality NiMH batteries in mine. Never had a problem with them but then I don't use a lot of flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

Yeah I'm doing that at the moment, but with 3 events a week I'm spending an absolute fortune on batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have Sanyo Eneloops for mine. They hold their charge for ages even when left in storage. Other brands do the same tech now as well but I don't know what they call it. Streets ahead of typical NiMH batteries that discharge by themselves in a few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The NiMH are rechargable. My 2400maH ones take about 3 hours to charge & seem to last a long time in the flash. They do self discharge when stored & need to be topped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I have an uniross sprint 15-min like this one:
    http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/79/78917/b0057.jpg
    15 minutes to fully charge uniross batteries, 1 hour to charge any of my 2400 nimh

batteries last the usual and fast charge hasn't created them any issue in the last year and a half

I'd buy the same one again if I had to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Stephen wrote: »
    I have Sanyo Eneloops for mine.

Any advice on where to buy these? How much (roughly) for a set of 4?

There seem to be some different modesl (R03, R04, R06). Any advice on which of these?

Paulw wrote: »

There seem to be some different modesl (R03, R04, R06). Any advice on which of these?

R06=AA
    R03=AAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lenmar 2700s are the biz. Just remember that when you buy rechargables that you need to keep each set together, whether that's a pair in a compact camera or a set of 4 in a flash, use them together and charge them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

It pays to do a bit of research into how ni-mh batteries work and how to get the best results from them.

Basically, the faster you charge them, the faster they'll discharge and the shorter their lifespan.

If you're shooting a good few events, I'd go for a "smart" charger type thing

I use one of these

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/technoline/technoline-i-charger.asp

it allows you to choose the current (from 200-1700mah) to recharge the batteries at. Obviously, the lower current takes longer, but is better for the battery. It will report the charge of batteries individually. It will go into "trickle charge" mode once batteries reach their capacity.

powerex are meant to be quite good as well

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=423

eas wrote: »
    It pays to do a bit of research into how ni-mh batteries work and how to get the best results from them.

Basically, the faster you charge them, the faster they'll discharge and the shorter their lifespan.

I have sets of ni-mh batteries, some were bought in aldi/lidl at 4.49 or 4.99 a pack of 4, others are uniross, and all are still going strong as the first day

charge memory was an issue before nimh but it hasn't been for me so far
    some sets have charged over 100 times

what I do is rotate them with my kid's toys, they get flat-ish (0.9-1.1 volts) every 2 or 3 charges minimum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Stephen wrote: »
    I have Sanyo Eneloops for mine. They hold their charge for ages even when left in storage. Other brands do the same tech now as well but I don't know what they call it. Streets ahead of typical NiMH batteries that discharge by themselves in a few days.

+1 for the Sanyo Eneloops.Great set of rechargeable batteries.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Paulw wrote: »

I got mine from battercity.ie (actually a Danish company). I've bought loads of them and now use them all over the house in remotes and other low power usage situations where the traditional NiMH batteries self-discharge rate meant we were constantly recharging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

Cheers for the advice, all. I've a wedding tomorrow so I didn't have much time to shop around. I picked up an Energiser 1hr charger with 4 x 2400nmh, plus a set of 4 Duracell Supreme 2650nmh batteries in Argos this evening. Under €60 for the lot, so we'll see how they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just ordered 12 Sanyo Eneloops with two chargers. A nice price of €49. Should have them Tue.

Also, just ordered the Canon CP-E4 batter pack. Spend, spend, spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I am using Tronic I got them in Lidil or Aldi. They are great hold charge for long enuff! And good price too!

When I used ordanary bats they used to cost me a fortuune and when they had used of half their life they were useless as the flash used to take longer to charge! I had lots of 1/2 used bats that were lieing arround to be used in a remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Have to agree with the Aldi rechargeable batteries.
    AA/HR6, 2,300mAh, NiMH, €4.49 per set of four.

I have used these, plus the ones from Lidl, for the last two years, without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Pretty tasty offer, considering those batteries by themselves usually cost £1 more...! :pac:

peckerhead wrote: »

Uk & NI only :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

mrmac wrote: »
    Have to agree with the Aldi rechargeable batteries.
    AA/HR6, 2,300mAh, NiMH, €4.49 per set of four.

I have used these, plus the ones from Lidl, for the last two years, without any problems.

+1 had them in the fuji s6500, that used to eat batterys for breakfast

mrmac wrote: »
    Uk & NI only :(
    Eh, no. Not sure how I ended up with the NI link, but here they are in good ol' "Southern Ireland" too: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090611.p.TronicRechargeableBatteries
    Note these are only 2500mAh (as opposed to the 2700mAh Uniross ones that Nforce linked to).
    But if you don't need a charger, at four for €3.49 they're hard to beat.
    And my S9600 only takes marginally longer to munch through a pack of 2700mAh... :(

Interesting to see they're €3.49 in Republic, and £3.49 in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

peckerhead wrote: »
    Eh, no. Not sure how I ended up with the NI link, but here they are in good ol' "Southern Ireland" too: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090611.p.TronicRechargeableBatteries
    Note these are only 2500mAh (as opposed to the 2700mAh Uniross ones that Nforce linked to).
    But if you don't need a charger, at four for €3.49 they're hard to beat.
    And my S9600 only takes marginally longer to munch through a pack of 2700mAh... :(

Yup! http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090611.p.TronicRechargeableBatteries

Advertisement