Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blatant chinese plagiarism (or cheap copies to you and me)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Check out their (apparently Austin-based) Subaru Forester knock-off: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/04/yema-sqj6451-seriously-it-not-subaru.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

peasant wrote:
    blatant chinese plagiarism (or cheap copies to you and me)
    Plagiarism relates to written works. /dictionary-nazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No worse than Suzuki Dealers doing white roofs/stripes, or Skoda offering a white roof on the Fabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ned78 wrote: »
    No worse than Suzuki Dealers doing white roofs/stripes, or Skoda offering a white roof on the Fabia.

Yeah ...don't forget those stripes on the Dodge Viper ....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

peasant wrote: »
    Yeah ...don't forget those stripes on the Dodge Viper ....:D:D:D

Or the GT40 :D

But seriously though, the Suzuki is a complete piss-take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I really don't see a problem with it. I think it's great and if they can build them with similar quality to the cars they are looking like then I really couldn't care less. I love the Bentley look-a-like. I think it was on Top gear a while back. I thought it was great :D

But they would never sell here with so many people wanting a big Volkswagen, Audi or BMW badge on the front of their car.

The quality and safety of their cars is deplorable alright. But that wont last forever. One day they will start to get it right.

I love the video with the Van. It just seems to melt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Surely they are all licenced knowck offs and therefor no plagirism involved at all?

Still wouldn't touch a single one of them though:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The quality and safety of their cars is deplorable alright. But that wont last forever. One day they will start to get it right.

And the costs will rise substantially.

• Advertisement

And the costs will rise substantially.

You're right. No other nation in the world especially one the size of China can possibly ever make cars to rival that of the likes of German BMW or AUDI. Because cars from places like Korea and Japan just make terrible cars which are way too expensive for us europeans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Surely they are all licenced knowck offs and therefor no plagirism involved at all?
    AFAIK, the 'Subaru Forester' owes nothing apart from its looks to the real car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

that red VW like truck is not chinese. it is a red VW truck loaded with sand/cement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

wondering how long it will take before ther appear on ebay and how much the postage wil be:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Both Merc & BMW have sued the Chinese, so there's no licensing agreements involved for most of these AFAIK...that Van and the yellow car just seem to evaporate :eek:

You would think, with the breadth of resource China has available, that they'd be able to come up with something cheap and half-decent for the valuable export market?

Gatster wrote: »
    You would think, with the breadth of resource China has available, that they'd be able to come up with something cheap and half-decent for the valuable export market?

Exactly what I was thinking. And I guess it won't happen over night which is why I think it's great that they are trying to imitate the looks of other cars. Eventually I don't see why competition between Chinese car manufactures and demand from consumers wont lead them to not just imitating looks, but also quality and safety. Then at the point they might actually consider shipping stock overseas to places like the EU. Who knows!

Which is why I think it's a bit harsh to be slagging off a China because it's not got the years of experience and very high exceptions from consumers who standard of life is only a fraction of our own. ~18 years ago we drove Ladas. At the rate they are progressing and with access to modern motoring/manufacturing knowledge who knows where they will be in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You're right. No other nation in the world especially one the size of China can possibly ever make cars to rival that of the likes of German BMW or AUDI. Because cars from places like Korea and Japan just make terrible cars which are way too expensive for us europeans :rolleyes:

At the point where the engineering and quality of parts is comparable is when the price difference is comparable. Japanese and Korean cars compete with European models, they don't dominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know:

There are different patent and copyright laws in China, and all the major manufacturers want to set up manufacturing plants in China because of the cheap labour, so they're not taking on the Chinese firms.

Here are some notable rip offs from China:

Not a Rav4:
    Carscoop_UFO_2.jpg

Not an X5:
    auto11837991211301846608_0.jpg

Not an A4:
    1_3626_0.jpg

Not a Smart car (in more ways than one...)
    653a-cmec_city_la_smart_chinoise_de_nicolas_hayek.jpg

Not a Santa Fe:
    huanghai-crossover-suv.jpg

Not a C Class:
    geely22.jpg

Not a Land Cruiser:
    lmg_dadi_shuttle.jpg

Not a Matiz:
    chery_qq_banner.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

that Van and the yellow car just seem to evaporate :eek:

The yellow car is an early Holden Commodore, apparently a 1978 VB tested in 1992 at 140km/h or over (EuroNCAP tests are 64km/h against an offset deformable barrier, not straight into a concrete wall!).
    "China car": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFIt9iw1Fs
    Exact same video posted on YouTube several years before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caOqD54oxRA
    The car even says "Crashlab" on the door and has the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority of NSW) logo on the wing: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/crashlab/

And as others have said the red van is a VW T3, also in a similarly unrealistic crash.

Also, for comparison look at the EG Civic in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyFkL_TEBDg

The VW was loaded up with bricks to test the wall, rather than the van itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

This is the best of all, yours for 30k:
    Geely-GE_1389731c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Mickk wrote: »
    This is the best of all, yours for 30k:
    Geely-GE_1389731c.jpg
    They done that on Top Gear IIRC

And why bother making a copy of the Matiz?! I don't get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The recent one on Top Gear was a Galue, which is Japanese, and seemingly a different kettle of fish to the Chinese crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The recent one on Top Gear was a Galue, which is Japanese, and seemingly a different kettle of fish to the Chinese crap.

thats the one, Gatser, thanks ;)

check out their blatant Morgan Aero 8 copy http://www.mitsuoka-himiko.com/concept.html

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    And why bother making a copy of the Matiz?! I don't get it!

The Matiz is a huge seller worldwide especially in developing countries. why wouldn't you copy it if you wanted to have a succesful Chinese car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Anyone else notice a slight explotion or electrical fault when the yellow carshed?
    At about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a Panda, and not for sale in Europe due to an injunction based on such:

gw_peri_1_640.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not an A4:
    1_3626_0.jpg

Must be a Seat Exeo then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Matiz is a huge seller worldwide especially in developing countries. why wouldn't you copy it if you wanted to have a succesful Chinese car?
    Well I didn't know that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Must be a Seat Exeo then ;)
    It's based on an old Toledo IIRC

It's based on an old Toledo IIRC

Yup, which in turn was based on the Mk2 Jetta :)

You can see it in action here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

yes.......... yes you are:D

Ladyboy anyone:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Mena wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't even see the car in this shot?

autoblog_cn_icebin_img_8807.jpg

Much better example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Any way of getting the tacky car out of the way lol

The car and woman in the first one both look like very cheap copies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

KTRIC wrote: »
    thats the one, Gatser, thanks ;)

check out their blatant Morgan Aero 8 copy http://www.mitsuoka-himiko.com/concept.html

They're Japanese.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have to laugh at the Merc and X5 shadows. They really are perfect clones. It is hard to imagine them getting away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

CianRyan wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a slight explotion or electrical fault when the yellow carshed?
    At about 5 seconds.

Yeah, spotted that, down near the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Didnt they make a copy of a Ferrari with a Subaru engin in it.

They Ferrari fella's went nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The back on the Chinese "mini" is such a rip off of the 1970s Range Rover.
    mini-copy_1390313i.jpg
    800px-Range_Rover_4_door_1981_Market_Hill.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement