Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby manual needed!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:08am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two totally clueless parents are looking for recommendations for reading material relating to new borns and beyond. I know that it's an impossible ask, but any books that other parents found useful would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There are so many books re parenting and they all give different advice. It's a big industry. Some people swear by some books yet others wouldn't rate them. Remember the baby hasn't read the books so try not to get too het up on them.

Libraries generally have a large selection of baby focused books. I prefered parenting magazines as they were usually more up to date and gave more realistic advice.

All first time parents are new to looking after their own baby. It doesn't matter how much babysitting/childminding experience an expectant parent has because it's a whole different ballgame when it's your own baby (natural or adopted) when you have 24/7 responsibility for it.

Try and have a relaxed attitude and don't put too many expectations on yourselves.

Getting back to books my baby is a pre-teen and I forget which books I read. I do know that each time I had a baby (1 in Uk and 1 here) I got a free baby book and found them good. I spotted them last week during major clearout, I've got them somewhere and will check out the titles. One book that I found extremely good for toddlers was Dr. Christopher Green's "Toddler Taming" but that's a bit off into the future.

Once baby arrives you are going to be swamped with "advice" from so many people, especially from the grannies and aunts, some of it you'll agree with and some you wont, just let the unwanted advice go in one ear and out the other. If mum or dad can get involved in a parent and baby/toddler group you will be with others in a similar position and can share the ups and downs.

Sorry I'm not much help on the books. Good luck.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The main advice any parenting book should have, should be the same as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It should begin

Dont Panic!

and recommend that you always carry a towel. :)

I know you feel clueless, but you know more than you think. Trust your instincts. Just maybe buy a book on babys health, so you can check up on the odd little illnesses and nappy rashes and things they get. But dont read it unless youre checking something or youll worry even more. :p

My brother got a baby book that was written like a washing machine manual which was brilliant, but youd have to search for it Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

we're new parents and finding "what to expect-the first year" quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I agree with the don't panic and also there has never been a person on this planet with the same dna as you child, you child is unique so don't be surprised if they need things done differently then what any of the books say.

FFFF to you and yours and please do ask here as I have to say the parenting forums posters are a pretty wonderful and supportive group.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/Expectant-Father-Advice-Dads-Be/dp/0789205386/ref=pd_cp_b_2?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be, Second Edition
    51N7MQ4GZTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Product Details

* Paperback: 271 pages
    * Publisher: Abbeville Press; 2 edition (May 2001)
    * Language: English
    * ISBN-10: 0789205386
    * ISBN-13: 978-0789205384

http://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-Youre-Expecting-Revised/dp/089480829X

What to Expect When You're Expecting
    71DW05HJM1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.gif

Product Details

* Paperback: 454 pages
    * Publisher: Workman Publishing Company; Revised edition (November 1996)
    * Language: English
    * ISBN-10: 089480829X
    * ISBN-13: 978-0894808296

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844250598?tag=gettingpregna-21&camp=1406&creative=6394

The Haynes Baby Manual: Conception to Two Years
    5177QYW1MPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Product details

* Hardcover: 160 pages
    * Publisher: J H Haynes & Co Ltd (4 Jun 2003)
    * Language English
    * ISBN-10: 1844250598
    * ISBN-13: 978-1844250592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

the haynes one is brilliant! it has a health section, symptoms and what to do if you think it may be XYZ. and has all the basics!
    but at the same time, the best way to learn is through experience! believe me! all the fun of parenting is getting things wrong and learning from it! generally you cant do too much wrong! especially when they're babies! :)
    just always make sure you have everything in full supply (nappies, food etc.) and you'll be grand!
    sounds like over simplifying it but your own instinct will help you out when you need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I found the 'what to expect' books helpful but remember that every baby is different so don't expect to go exactly by any book. The best book I had was an Annabel Karmel one she writes cook books aimed at cooking for babies and children, my favorite is the 'Baby and Toddler Meal Planner' its a great guide of what food babies can eat during their first two years. My kids are now 8 & 9 and still eating some of the recipes from this book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

THe 'what to expect' books are brill. I would recommend them now. THey used to answer any question I was wondering about.
    Aw, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

just wanna say good luck OP. I have an almost three year old. raising him on my own from day one, never even babysat before i had him!!!! He was a few eeks premature and they had to show me how to change his nappy in the hospital!!!! totally clueless, its a learning curve but he is content, and a great sleeper so all is well in my world!! THis is very good place for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I agree with the "what to expect books" - but the best thing is experience..a health encyclopia is good to have to hand too!

Congratulations on the birth of your baby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We used the ' What to expect ' range as a ' dive in type book.

We also used ( to some extent ) ' The Contented Baby ' by Gina Ford. Now I know there are as many people who hate her ( and I mean hate ) as love her. We found it valuable to help us build a routine. And we got our evenings back !!

The most important thing about any book. Remember the saliant fact

The baby has not read the book What I mean by that is these are only a guide , they are not definative .

Good luck

BTW , I love the advise to not panic and carry a towel ....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It might be a good idea to do a first aid course, it might help give you a bit of confidence on one level.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

"What to expect the first year" is great and is really in-depth.

There's some great websites with baby information too. www.babycentre.co.uk is great and sends you emails every week with information until your child is one.

Rollercoaster.ie is an Irish parenting website which has New Baby Group boards so you have a direct forum with lots of parents of babies the same age as your lo. I found it invaluable during the firs few months. It was great to see that everyone had the same issues and problems as us. Our ds was colicky and most docs would just tell you they have colic suck it up, but internet forums showed me that there are options like different food which cured the colic for our lo........

As lots of people have said before there's nothing that beats on the job experience though!!

Advertisement