Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals as Leaders - the next big thing in metal?

• 01-05-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

...it looks so, given the reviews I have seen of this band new S/T'ed album due in mid-May on Prosthetic Records.

It seems the main man is a vituoso guitarist/instrumentalist called Tosin Abasi, apparently he is from a US metalcore band currently on hiatus called 'Reflux'..anyone heard of them? He uses cutomised 7/8-string geetars...and he is been raved about:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/animals_as_leaders/animals_as_leaders/index.html

& from what I have heard on http://www.myspace.com/animalsasleaders, the track 'tempting time' sounds amazing...

Just bought the album on Prosthetic Records, as well as the new one from 'Kylesa', + thanks to our dear friends U:Mack, are visiting these shores on the 17th July...can't wait!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That 8-string guitar is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Tosin Abasi playing custom 8 string guitar...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-lv9ltZ2cw

Jesus!....this guy is something special!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Haha, was just thinking 'this sounds so much like Bulb...', turns out he wrote the album with Abasi.
    Pitty he isn't part of the touring band though, that guy is outstanding!

Thank you very very much for posting this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I am listening to that track Tempting Time on the MySpace page and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Needless widdley guitar **** tends to bore me but the soloing on that track at least is done very well. It fits in nicely with the soundscape laid down by the synths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

it's good but for some reason I can't get the idea of them being a "poor man's Periphery" out of my head. To be fair, that's based purely on two tracks, I haven't heard the album. I just prefer Periphery I guess, and I wish they were the next big thing in metal. Awesomeness personified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Exactly what i was thinking, i mean it sounds cool but he aint got nothing on bulb, and this music aint got nothing on periphery. In my opinion anyway.

Just incase someone in here hasnt heard of em, check out there myspace page.
    http://www.myspace.com/periphery

They really are somthing else, and heres a vid of there guitarist, BULB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Hahaha, I was about to come in and tell everyone they should listen to Periphery and Bulb, you already do, excellent!

Bulb's album 'the best of Misha Mansoor' is quality, as is everything the big P have put out.

I really like Animals As Leaders, Tosin's melodic parts are different to Periphery's and I think it's incredible.

We all need to email these guys and get a show going.

Thanks all for the info. on yer man Bulb & Periphery...as I had not heard of them & they sound amazing...still looking forward to getting this Animals as Leaders album...

...and Isis's Wavering Radiant out on Tuesday!

Thanks all for the info. on yer man Bulb & Periphery...as I had not heard of them & they sound amazing...still looking forward to getting this Animals as Leaders album...

...and Isis's Wavering Radiant out on Tuesday!
    Isis is one band ive been meaning to listen to prpoperly for far too long....i think its time to head to the you of tubes for me.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    Isis is one band ive been meaning to listen to prpoperly for far too long....

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Patricide wrote: »
    Isis is one band ive been meaning to listen to prpoperly for far too long....i think its time to head to the you of tubes for me.

Wavering Radiant is a fantastic album!

fortuneg wrote: »
    Wavering Radiant is a fantastic album!

Thats great to hear! I really love this band's music & can't wait to get it! Joe Barresi of recent "Tool - 10,000 days" fame has produced Wavering Radiant so I am expecting super dooper sound quality...

Hopefully a Euro tour is on the horizon, I know fellow noise pioneers "Pelican" are supporting them on their US tour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Jaysus, trust boards to suggest some more amazing music which I never would have heard otherwise. Cheers guys!

Yeah just to let anybody else who doesn't know. If you don't know Animals As Leaders, check out Periphery, the brainchild of Misha Mansoor (Bulb, who you should also check out)

In terms of rhythmic/gent metal people might want to check out Tenkan for the laugh. He does Rihanna etc cover, but really heavy.

Looks like he has some original material there too now, that's not half bad.

Check out Womanis(z?)er

The best thing tenkan has ever done - a cover of sexy back, its not on the internet anywhere though otherwise id put up a link :(. Its crazy though!!

I have them all!

Thanks for the Tenkan link!

Another album worth flagging methinks {and possibly worth its own thread if this is living up to the bands previous albums & critics raving mad about it...}

...Mono's 5th album "Hymn to the Immortal Wind"...anyone heard it yet...?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/mono/hymntotheimmortalwind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thoroughly at Home is very epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ceV82mKUhg&feature=related

Definitely getting their album when it comes out, they remind of the Mars Volta somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'm personally holding my breath for Tesseract's first album, I've found their stuff more diverse than any of the periphery or bulb stuff so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dream Theater crossed with Dragonforce for me...I like it!

Mushy wrote: »
    Dream Theater crossed with Dragonforce for me...I like it!

Woah...Really!?:eek: I wouldn;t have drawn either of those connections to be honest (unless it's a simple lampoon?:confused:) but hey it's all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cousin it wrote: »
    Woah...Really!?:eek: I wouldn;t have drawn either of those connections to be honest (unless it's a simple lampoon?:confused:) but hey it's all good!

Thats what I found upon listening. Synth lines with some good auld guitar w***ing.

Mushy wrote: »
    Thats what I found upon listening. Synth lines with some good auld guitar w***ing.

sorry, yeah I got completely lost in the thread and was thinking only about Periphery, even though they were only a brief mention and not the subject of the actual thread itself. Forgiveness please!!!:)

mp3guy wrote: »
    I'm personally holding my breath for Tesseract's first album, I've found their stuff more diverse than any of the periphery or bulb stuff so far.
    Id agree. Eagerly anticipating that, there sound is insane..great band.

Advertisement