Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Until yesterday, I was a member of the Mount Pleasant Tennis Club and joined on a student membership in September 2008.

Last week, I received a notice in the post that membership would expire on 30th April 2009.

I assumed this was an error so called the club manager Wednesday afternoon to discuss it. She informed me that my membership will indeed expire on 30th April and if I wanted to use the facilities throughout the summer, I would have to pay for a new membership.

When I joined in September, I was very much under the impression that I was paying for a one year's membership as I was given a price list based on a 12 month subscription. I was never informed about the company's year end being April 30th nor was I given any type of pro rata price on my membership.

I had discussed with the manager at the time that the summer would be my most available time to play and that I would try to come down to the club as much as possible during the winter and spring months but June-August would be when I would get most benefit out of my membership. During this time, she never mentioned to me that to do so, I would have to renew my membership.

Can anyone advise me on whether I have a legal right to money back or to get the use of the facilities for the next 4 months?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you have anything on paper that stipulates what you paid for?

The rules as per their application form seem clear cut, and any query of them they ask for in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

A lot of clubs have memberships that start at certain point in the year. for that particular club their membership night run on may to april. say you joined in march and pay the fee effectively you would have to repay in may as this is a new membership season. also a lot of clubs to their yearly accounts up untill of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Their accounting year end isn't really relevant. Your contract is. Sounds like a crock to me tbh. Ask her what the position would be if you joined in March or February or January? Would you then only be entitled to 1,2 or 3 months membership?

Advertisement