Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate Minimal!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had started writing this ages ago but only posting it now...

I was introduced into Minimal about 2-3 years ago. Had zero interest in it, or techno at all before that. Always did like tech house and tribal stuff though - but same as some others, before that I just had the opinion that it was just 'boring' - but that is just because at the time, I simply did not understand it.

Went to a party where a mate who traditionally plays house played a minimal set at the latter portion of the night - it was a real eye opener for me. The one tune I remember going WOW to was Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Carl Craig Remix) which remains one of my favourite tunes today. The tune is not exactly real minimal, more detroit techno, but a far cry from what i was generally used to listening to, and it really got me interested in the genre.

I was attracted to its simplicity - as a poster said above its harder to do more with less - and I think that is very interesting. I went and downloaded a whole bunch of random stuff not knowing anything about it - most was more 'minimal house' than proper minimal techno but I liked the vibe. As myself and others have repeatedly said, Minimal is not out there trying to be anything its not. There are genre's and DJ's who play massive stompers or big soulfull funky tracks which can make a dancefloor go bananas. Minimal is not trying to lay claim to that. I would not play minimal all night at a house party, it would not be appropriate - however at a certain time of the night, wit the right crowd, its awesome - and the vibe you can get off it can be fantastic.

I love to Dj with minimal as you can mix for ages and be really creative with it. I like funky house - but with "Songs" like they are with melodies etc - you are limited to mostly basic mixing (can be argued but you know what I mean) - but with minimal you can pretend like you are richie hawtin and layer loads of tracks together and play around with cutting, swapping and looping etc - its great fun.

Music is bit like fashion and like it or not, minimal is and has been the new cool thing for a while - and I'm not talking popular like Top Of the Pops - but with big very well respected DJ's and Labels all turning that way. Yes there may be some who jump on the bandwagon cause they think its cool but I'm not one of them, I like it for what it is to me.

I'm going to talk like a music snob now, and say that Minimal, and especially Techno - is Sophisticated dance music. Few people just fall into techno having no previous exposure to any form of dance music. I think tastes mature after time and exposure to different types, and for me anyway, Techno is just like a whole new world you open your eyes and ears to - and the more you are exposed to it and the more you learn about it, the more you love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just hate the term minimal. Minimal is grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Zascar wrote: »
    :

Dance music is incredibly wide and varied, I only have an interest in a small few genre's but there is plenty in there to occupy me..

My interests cover many genres, the main being obviously Funky/Soulful/Jazzy/Jackin House also US Garage, European Techno, Drum & Bass, Hardcore Breaks, Breakbeat, and of course Chill Out/Ambient and (some) Progressive House, i reckon that is enough variety :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote: »
    My interests cover many genres, the main being obviously Funky/Soulful/Jazzy/Jackin House also US Garage, European Techno, Drum & Bass, Hardcore Breaks, Breakbeat, and of course Chill Out/Ambient and (some) Progressive House, i reckon that is enough variety :)

Out of interest, why only european techno? :confused:

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Out of interest, why only european techno? :confused:

I always have preferred the more full on banging German/Belgium style of Techno as opposed to Detroit Techno,that's not to say i dislike Detroit or American Techno as loads of it brilliant but there is lot im not particulary into, i don't know much about it thesedays but being the good man you are im sure you'll provide me with some links :pac::D

jonny68 wrote: »
    I always have preferred the more full on banging German/Belgium style of Techno as opposed to Detroit Techno,that's not to say i dislike Detroit or American Techno as loads of it brilliant but there is lot im not particulary into, i don't know much about it thesedays but being the good man you are im sure you'll provide me with some links :pac::D

I loved (and still do to an extent) a lot of the heavier european techno in the early 90's alright along with the more melodic variety from detroit but definitely swing more towards the detroit end of things now, along with the detroit influenced UK techno from the likes of B12, As One etc.

Dub techno is one of my preferred now but that is more on the minimal tip so wouldn't be your cup of tea!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Johnny how can you love Detroit Techno but hate Minimal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Johnny how can you love Detroit Techno but hate Minimal?
    id honestly say that he has listened to minimal and doesnt even realise it.
    i also think that hes publicly slated it so much he would never admit that he listens to it or like it at this stage.
    everything is overlapping so much these days its hard to see how hes avoided it.

Try this one on Jonny...

Ben Klock - Goodly Sin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Try this one on Jonny...

Ben Klock - Goodly Sin

that album is great actually.

jtsuited wrote: »
    that album is great actually.

Yeah a spectacular album alright, every track is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

One thing about this movement is that it has got an older fan like me back playin dance music, Movin all my old tunes into iTunes - "Dave Clarke - Archive One " now playing as I type ! -- Mr Villalobos has a lot to answer for !

Johnny how can you love Detroit Techno but hate Minimal?[/QUOTE

sounds completely different to me mate.

Advertisement