Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger Wine

• 01-05-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Does anyone know whether Dunnes or Superquinn stocks ginger wine? If they don't does anyone know a good substitute for cooking with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Make your own..

Ingredients

2 gallons of water
    12 cups sugar
    large piece root ginger
    12 lemons
    3oz fresh yeast
    1/2 pint brandy
    raisins (if desired)

Boil the sugar and water.
    Add the ginger and boil gently for half an hour.
    Peel the lemons and pour the hot sugar and water onto the peel.
    Allow to cool.
    When cool, add the juice of the lemons and the yeast.
    Put it into demijohns and when it has stopped working divide 1/2 pint brandy between the demijohns. - Some raisins can be added at this stage if desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

soddy1979 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Dunnes or Superquinn stocks ginger wine? If they don't does anyone know a good substitute for cooking with?
    I've definitely bought it in Dunnes (in their Cornelscourt store) before, but it tends only to be available around Christmas time. Might be worth a try though. They only have Stones though, not the (to my taste, at least) Crabbies. I'd imagine though that any half-way decent off-licence would either have it, or be able to get it in for you.

Advertisement