Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Bricked my Netgear WGR614 V9 from UPC

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Logged into the Router yesterday to check some settings and it started to get a Firmware update automatically. I let it run and followed the instructions but the router stopped responding and is not "bricked". The power light is flashing which means that the software is corrupt and I can't access the routers control panel to do anything.

I found a guide to fixing (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453) but it assumes a fair bit of knowledge regarding changin IP addresses etc.. that I can't really follow.

This happen to anyone else?

I'm trying to get through to UPC at the moment but am not optimistic about the outcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Robertr wrote: »
    Hi,

Logged into the Router yesterday to check some settings and it started to get a Firmware update automatically. I let it run and followed the instructions but the router stopped responding and is not "bricked". The power light is flashing which means that the software is corrupt and I can't access the routers control panel to do anything.

I found a guide to fixing (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453) but it assumes a fair bit of knowledge regarding changin IP addresses etc.. that I can't really follow.

This happen to anyone else?

I'm trying to get through to UPC at the moment but am not optimistic about the outcome.

If you read that document carefully you should be able to follow the steps.
    Its fairly basic, but you need to make sure you understand the tftp part of it. Do you have any computery friends? Its not a hard process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you held in the reset button on the router and reinstalled the Software from the CD which came with the router

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Jumpy wrote: »
    If you read that document carefully you should be able to follow the steps.
    Its fairly basic, but you need to make sure you understand the tftp part of it. Do you have any computery friends? Its not a hard process.

I got as far as the ping but am getting no response. I went ahead and tried the rest regardless and was able to initiate the tftp but it just times out.

BVB wrote: »
    Have you held in the reset button on the router and reinstalled the Software from the CD which came with the router

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have to hold it down for something like 1 minute, have seen some links to how to fix this but they are on my laptop which I don't have with me right now, will post them up if I find them later. How were you connected to the router? Ethernet or WiFi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Robertr wrote: »
    Yep
    Have you held it in for a full 30 seconds while the router is still powered on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

The router isn't reset untill the tick light flashes after holding down the reset button for about 30 secs as mentioned.

No, reset button didn't work, no matter how long I held for.

But I did get it to work. I messed around with the IP settings and was able to finally Ping the router and resend the firmware by tfpt and it loaded fine so back in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noreds

hey Robertr
    i have the exact same problem as you.

could you tell me what messing around with the ip address you done.

Advertisement