Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Ross to be CEO of AIB?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to know what to make of this, nonsense I'm sure.

Clicky

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Twitter? Newstalk? Breakfast show?

I have my doubts.

If they did offer it to Shane Ross, doesn't that belie the argument about "not just anybody can do the job" etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

while I believe Shane Ross has his heart in the right place and is 'genuine', I don't believe this qualifies him to run Ireland's biggest company (if it still is, probably not anymore).

I was going to buy AIB shares actually but I'll wait a while because I don't think the market will like the idea of Ross being CEO.

Of course many people will argue that "he can't be any worse than the last lot" and it's a hard argument to counter, but I still feel the CEO of a major bank, especially one that the taxpayer NEEDS to survive, should be top class. I don't know Shane Ross' background or education so maybe I'm way off and he's perfectly qualified.

I would support the likes of Ross being on the board alright to "keep an eye on the bankers" for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

murphaph wrote: »
    while I believe Shane Ross has his heart in the right place and is 'genuine', I don't believe this qualifies him to run Ireland's biggest company (if it still is, probably not anymore).

I was going to buy AIB shares actually but I'll wait a while because I don't think the market will like the idea of Ross being CEO.

Of course many people will argue that "he can't be any worse than the last lot" and it's a hard argument to counter, but I still feel the CEO of a major bank, especially one that the taxpayer NEEDS to survive, should be top class. I don't know Shane Ross' background or education so maybe I'm way off and he's perfectly qualified.

I would support the likes of Ross being on the board alright to "keep an eye on the bankers" for us.

I think the primary function of the CEO will be to change the culture in the bank to low risk low reward banking.
    In that sence the most important skills of the CEO will be communication skills.
    Another advantage of bringing Ross inside will be to silence one of the best critics of Irish business schinanigans in the country. A little like the Dept of finance employing Alan Ahern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

deadhead13 wrote: »

They sound like knobs. If you read the p.ie thread, most are just as skeptical as us. Yet they seem to think that they've caused some kind of controversy and that they duped the folks on message boards. They obviously did it expecting to spark a controversial debate and then write an article talking about how great they were. When the controversial debate didn't materialise they wrote the article anyway.

Which is why I don't listen to newstalk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement