Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP problems

• 01-05-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

I have a number of problems with an XP Pro PC.
    I am pretty sure it is a virus, the symptoms are as follows:
    1. When I try to open a command prompt window, the screen refreshes.
    2. In Visual Studio 2005, when I build a (admittedly large) ASP.NET web project, Visual Studio shuts down immediately without warning.
    3. I have MacAffee and the icon is not appearing in the bottom right-hand corner (system tray).
    4. Everything is taking ages to start, i.e. opening a browser window despite having 3 GB of RAM onboard and a 2.6 Ghz processor.
    5. Sometimes I am unable to shutdown Windows and have to press down the button instead.

I could solve it by doing a system restore I suppose or else by wiping the hd and re-installing WIndows but I don't really want to do that.
    I have the latest Windows updates and update my virus definitions and I have googled around but the only thing it came back with was something about a Conflicker virus but the symptoms of that are a bit different to what I have.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Edit: regedit doesn't work either, same as command prompt

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the malwareforum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

system restore is a good starting point
    or have you made recent changes you don't want to undo, as these may be slowing down your PC

disconnect from the internet and use msconfig to boot up in a clean mode to see if the problem with local apps is still there, if so then it's something in startup , if not then probably system restore is quicker and safer than mucking around on a wild goose chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

check the malwareforum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

system restore is a good starting point
    or have you made recent changes you don't want to undo, as these may be slowing down your PC

disconnect from the internet and use msconfig to boot up in a clean mode to see if the problem with local apps is still there, if so then it's something in startup , if not then probably system restore is quicker and safer than mucking around on a wild goose chase

Didn't know there was a malware forum, thanks for the heads up. I had to do a system restore as it stopped my modem from working so I couldn't get on the 'net.
    Funny thing is, there was only one restore point when I went to do it even though I am under the impression that Windows sets them automatically at least once a week. The virus must have deleted them. I'll post this on the malware forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also depends on the size of the restore point , as you could limit it to 1% of drive
    and if you turn it off it deletes the previous restore points, just in case you may have needed them :rolleyes:

Advertisement