Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugot clutch probs - anyone else?

• 01-05-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Purely by chance (company cars, hand-me-down cars) I'm now driving my 5th Peugot - a '99 306 1.6 GLX

I find them very reliable and a great drive BUT the clutch in them is ALWAYS very stiff. The one I have now is exceptionally so - to the point that I dread taking the car out in traffic.

Anyone else have this problem?

The dealer tells me a new clutch will solve it (for about €500) but after driving so many with the same problem I'm not so convinced. I'm thinking/hoping it may be the cable or something less expensive that I can have a go at replacing myself...

Anyone had this problem and/or know of a solution?

(and how come there isn't a dedicated "DIY repair" section here?)

Tx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I had one before didnt find it to stiff but the clutch did go on it and i payed €320 to have it replaced. €500 is a bit steep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I paid €350 to replace my clutch - stay clear of dealers as they will charge a fortune. 2 dealers in dublin quoted me €550 and €700 for the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If your car is the cable set up operated clutch, there might be some

room for adjusting it. See can you do that before you bring it to a

mechanic. Whats the milage on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I have a 206, in the first year I got it the clutch needed to be replace. That was about 1.5 years ago.

More recently, the gears sometimes wont "click in properly"..looks and feels like its in gear, but actually isnt.

On Tuesday, the car wouldnt go into first at all, would only start off in second..This is what happened the first time the clutch went, so Im assuming its going to give up again.

Now, this car is my first, and I did learn to drive in it, so would have been heavy on the clutch..but 2 under 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

LadyE wrote: »
    I have a 206, in the first year I got it the clutch needed to be replace. That was about 1.5 years ago.

More recently, the gears sometimes wont "click in properly"..looks and feels like its in gear, but actually isnt.

On Tuesday, the car wouldnt go into first at all, would only start off in second..This is what happened the first time the clutch went, so Im assuming its going to give up again.

Now, this car is my first, and I did learn to drive in it, so would have been heavy on the clutch..but 2 under 2 years?

You can burn out a clutch in the fifteen seconds it takes to drive a car onto a transporter, so it would be easy to go through two in two years.

No offence to you LadyE, but maybe you should look at your technique if your going through clutches like that?

To the OP, yeah, i've experience the same in Citroen's, as far as i know the are the same engines for the most part. A new clutch would solve that problem alright....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have a 96 406 Td with 205k and still on my original (Stiff) clutch....:eek:
    it has a cable and it self-adjusts itself ,sometimes i spray some 3 in 1 oil down the cable housing which helps for awhile......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

You can burn out a clutch in the fifteen seconds it takes to drive a car onto a transporter, so it would be easy to go through two in two years.

No offence to you LadyE, but maybe you should look at your technique if your going through clutches like that?

To the OP, yeah, i've experience the same in Citroen's, as far as i know the are the same engines for the most part. A new clutch would solve that problem alright....

No offence taken, before I passed my test I was a horrible cruiser...constantly had my foot down on the clutch:o I deffo dont do this anymore, foot is always rested beside it now, I passed my test early last year, could the constant crusing there be the cause of the clutch burning out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

you and ladye have very heavy left feet drummerboy08, im in stitches here keep it going

and every puegeot i ever had 405,406,407,205,309,306 they all had stiff pedals ,or so it seemed but i later found out it was there positioning comparing to other cars the clutch pedal in them is very high and may put more pressure on your leg to push them, and that dealer that told you a new one would solve that problem ,well in my opinion that dealer was a problem in himself ,steer clear a clutch kit will be bought for about 150-240 and fitted for 150-200 in under a day about 6 hours

Advertisement