Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News - Morgan in the England team for the world cup

• 01-05-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Eoin Morgan has been included in the England Squad for the Twenty 20 World Cup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I am delighted for Eoin. I just hope that he doesn't get the Ed Joyce treatment after the world cup.

On Sky Sports they are discussing Eoin and think it is an "outstanding pick".

Nick Knight described him as almost Australian, inferring that he has no fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Congrats to the lad, though obviously i would have preferred if he'd be playing for ireland in the 20/20s, just hope england actually use him in the competition. He got a nice score the other day with a fair few 4's and 6's thrown in so he's in good touch.

I'd also like to thank him for the outstanding contribution he made to our qualifying again for the world cup and for his contribution over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

I was watching the Sky Sports coverage of the county championships when I seen the news, fair play to Eoin and good to hear Nick being so complinentary about him and his maturity beyond his age.

I wonder however, will he even get to play in the competition?

And Morgan is in the ODI squad against the Windies!

Is there any possibility that he has been chosen at this time so that he is not available for Ireland? I really can't see that being the main reason, because he certainly deserves it based on ability and performances, but is it possible that it is a factor?

• Advertisement

Its interesting because if England have no real use for him this time around, then they could just allow him to play for Ireland gain some more international experience then pick him up when he is needed, thats why I think they might actually want to use him in the ODI and the World Cup but I suppose we just have to wait and see.

If he is not used, can he be called up again by the Irish team??

chrissor wrote: »
    If he is not used, can he be called up again by the Irish team??

Once he represents England he can't play again for at least four years. I would be astonished if he doesn't make an appearance in the ODI's.

Yeah I am aware of that, I reckon he will make an appearance somewhere but lets say he is in the squad and does not get a go in the near future, would Ireland consider calling him up for a game before he makes his inevitable first appearance for England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Its a bittersweet story for Irish Cricket I guess. Its obviously great to have another player make it into the England squad in the shorter forms of the game.

On the other hand, Eoin would've been a crucial player for us in the T20 World Cup and in the years to come. I do hope he does play some part in the competition or else it'll be hard to bear.

There's also the possibility of an Ashes call-up if he does well in limited overs games for England and is in form for Middlesex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Congrats to Eoin I hope he does well. He's turning into a very good player but to my mind he is still one for the future in england terms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Congrats to Eoin. Top player and a top lad! He'll be a star of the English side for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

So he is in the Worldy 20/20 squad?, the thing I dont understand is, Ireland are also in this tournament,

why cant we just select him also?, or is it him picking England first?,

thanks for the help in advance :)...

I guess Ireland could have also chosen him but he has long stated his desire to play for England and to further his cricketing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I dont want to begrudge him, but I dont think anyone can be hated for wanting our best team out there :)...

Advertisement