Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old daughetr may have hearing problems

Options
  • 01-05-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice, recomendations, support on this topic.

My 15 month old daughter has been suffering from ear infections, roughly 1 every 3 months since birth. We have been concerned about her hearing and speach development for some time now - she was picking up new words up till about 10 mths and has since stopped. Her vocabulary consists of mama, dada and baba and when she wants you to get her something or wants to show you something, she takes you by the hand and brings you to whatever it is and points at it. After meeting with a doctor today, she's been referred to see Sister Lydia in Cabra for further tests to determine whats wrong.

I can't stop worrying now that something maybe wrong and why we never did anything about it sooner. I might add here that my daughter was never once called by the community welfare nurse for the standard check ups all babies get. I knew this wasn't right and when she was 7 months I brought her to the clinic myself to get checked out and was advised that they now had her on file and she would be automatically called back when the next check was due. Again, she was never called back and I had to once more bring her myself. When I got there I was told that there was no point checking her now and that they would call her at 18 months. It was only upon my insistence that she get checked out, that I got them to refer me to the doctor today for a development check. I was told that the community nurse had been on maternity leave and thats how she was missed and not called. I know this is not my fault, but I cant stop wondering that if she had been getting these check ups like she was supposed to that the problem would have been detected sooner. Maybe I should have been making a nusiance of myself at the health Centre until she got seen to?

Very worried Mum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Hi there,

We had our daughter assessed by Sister Lydia and found that she was not as responsive in one ear as the other. After the grommets, the change was remarkable and she has not stopped talking since.

I know you are worried but the tests are not at all stressful and Sister Lydia is lovely.

Let us know how you get on and fell free to pm me if you wish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I had hearing problems as a child for a long time. It was as a result of an allergy. It might be worth looking into this. Dairy or similar could be causing a blockage or building up and the problem can be rectified without invasive or much medical intervention.

I hope everything goes okay with the docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jkrowling

Dragon Lord, thanks for the reply. We're going to see Sr, Lydia next Monday so I'll let you know how we get on. It's great to hear your daughter is now talking, hopefully we have the same result.

JesJes, Thanks for this advice. I will look intot his with our doctor as she did suffer from colic when she was a baby so she could still have some allergies causing the infections.

thanks again

Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Is the PHN first port of call for this kind of problem? or GP?

My 19 month old is not talking.................he has a few words alright, oh oh, up, Mama, but does not use them. He too has had a lot of ear infections (teething related, imo). I am concerned, even though I have to say he is a quiet reserved child anyway and I don't think he will ever be a chatterbox, even when he can talk!!

Advertisement