Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most liked names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

A7X wrote: »
    Enda. What could go wrong?

Enda the road I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Greys Anatomy Much?? :)
    Ew... no, I hate that programme! :)
    There was actually an American girl in my school called Lex - always loved that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

A guy I know is called Lancelot,

legend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My mate has a girl called lexi
    Great name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

liah wrote: »
    It's been used quite a lot in North America as "Evan." I knew a few with that spelling growing up (I'm 21 now). Then again we changed spellings on a lot of Irish names, like Owen for instance.

Regardless of what you say I believe the spelling of it should be Evin. I always think the person is fat if they spell it with an a but thin if it's with an i (no real reason for that, maybe as a child I met someone that spelt it with an a and they were fat). I see it as a mistake that people have excepted and for some reason I hate it when words are spelt wrong (even though I'm dyslexic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this is what i have come across on the net--in 1883 one victorian baby was saddled with a name for every letter of the alphabet----ann,bertha,celelia,diana,emily,fanny,gertrude,hypanthia,inez,jane,kate,louisa,maud,nora,ophelia,quince,rebecca,starkey,teresa ulysses,venus,winifred,xerophes,yetty,zeuse, and her surname was pepper

getz wrote: »
    this is what i have come across on the net--in 1883 one victorian baby was saddled with a name for every letter of the alphabet----ann,bertha,celelia,diana,emily,fanny,gertrude,hypanthia,inez,jane,kate,louisa,maud,nora,ophelia,quince,rebecca,starkey,teresa ulysses,venus,winifred,xerophes,yetty,zeuse, and her surname was pepper

I bet you to it on the bad names list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ciarán
    Alés
    Cáit
    Kasha
    Beibhinn
    James
    Oscar
    Ruairí
    Chiara

Hooray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Fionnuala
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

liah wrote: »
    I have a fondness for Ollie. I think it's ridiculously cute. Jack, Owen (I'm not Irish, this spelling looks nicer to me), Theus (think it looks class, pronounced tee-ous, could only get away with naming a kid that if he was foreign though), Alex, Anders, Cian, Christoph/Kristov/etc., David, Kellen.

As for girls.. erm.. Aisling has actually grown on me since being in this country, though I hate similar names like Ashley or Ashlynn back home, Charlie on a girl is cute (though it kind of depends on the accent saying it), Sophie, Rowan.. there's actually very few girls' names I actually like.

Top name alright, not biased at all like.

When I was young my buddy always took the piss, "imagine being an old man and called Ollie", always pissed me off that. He still says it now and again, the prick. And his name is Jim Morrison, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

I like Layla, after the Eric Clapton song. I also like Sophia and Eva.

For boys I like Micheál and Liam. I used to like Sebastian but I realised the kid would probably turn out to be a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love the name Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

Darragh
    Dillan
    Cathal

Rachel
    Lily
    Sarah
    Hannah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

For boys I like Darragh, Shane, Stephen, Michael. Wouldn't like my kids' named shortened to Steve or Mickey though.....

Girls' names...I'll have a think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

I love the names Jack and Liam.
    And Amie for a girl because of the Damien Rice song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Seriously how has nobody mentioned Conor?????? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

If I have a girl and boy they're going to be: Ichamemneb & Aloysius.
    Gobnait's lined up should there be another girl.

No but in seriousness, for girls:
    Hannah
    Clara
    Hayley
    Kind of fond of Kate and Emily though too

Boys:
    James (just love that name!)

Not too many boys names I can think of that I like. Thomas is okay too I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Boys:
    James (just love that name!)

Ya won't go wrong with it!:)

Seriously how has nobody mentioned Conor?????? :D:D

That's my new little nephew's name! Love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheChrisRock

Confab wrote: »
    OMG I tewtally, loike, love these names. Seriously though, have you any idea what names like this will do to a kid's life/reputation?

PS: Start calling the dyslexia experts now.

Love it!:P

• Advertisement

I've always hated Irish names. I don't live there anymore. People here who have Irish ancestors go mad of names like Aidan and Ciaran. My wife wanted an Irish name. I didn't we settled on one we love and doesn't sound Irish at all. Apparently it's Scottish Irish.

No one mentioned the absolutely ridiculous Proinsias as in de Rossa an Irish MP. Only a mulchie would come up with that name. I hate Fergal, Fionnula, Donna, Cathal. The list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

phasers conmanthekiller

thanks a million,

about time someone mentioned my name

CONOR the oldest most origional irish name a priest can christen,

not like these stupid new names like brandon, get it right yupees its brendan, and heres another one i cant stand kyle

but dont forget me king CONOR

phasers conmanthekiller

thanks a million,

about time someone mentioned my name

CONOR the oldest most origional irish name a priest can christen,

not like these stupid new names like brandon, get it right yupees its brendan, and heres another one i cant stand kyle

but dont forget me king CONOR
    Nah, Conor's truly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Boys:

Conor, Cillian, Ronan, Daniel, Joshua, Teal'c, Keanu, Vin ...

and for the girls

Jadzia, Teyla, Amidala, River, Kaylee, Shmi,

Boys:

Teal'c
    Right on bro!

...I love Sarah for a girl. We have great girls name chosen should our second child be a girl. It is very similar to my mother's name with a letter removed and replaced here and there to be a new but still similar name.

I also love Jennifer, not Jenny. Toni for a girl is just so s*xy. Young parents these days try to hard to be too cool with their childs names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Orla K wrote: »
    That's my brother's name and he spells it Evin, I think it's only been in the past 10 years that people have been spelling it with an a. I've even checked the book where the name was got from(1920's book of Irish names) it's Evin

And yes it always annoys me when people spell it wrong. The letters in Evin fit better than Evan which to me just looks awkward and wrong.

Evan is actually Welsh for John.

Its just a different name, not a misspelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Greys Anatomy Much?? :)

You see, I hate when people jump to conclusions like that especially with names that have been around for ages and have only become popular because of some show on tv.

I recently named my daughter Addison and someone flittering into the pregnancy forum made a smart arse comment about me being a fan of Grey's Anatomy because I had also chosen the name Grace as a possibility. Is it possible that someone liked the names before they became popular because of the TV program?

For girls I love: Ava, Abigail, Sarah and Hannah.

For boys: James, Alex, Oscar, Theo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've always hated Irish names. I don't live there anymore. People here who have Irish ancestors go mad of names like Aidan and Ciaran. My wife wanted an Irish name. I didn't we settled on one we love and doesn't sound Irish at all. Apparently it's Scottish Irish.

No one mentioned the absolutely ridiculous Proinsias as in de Rossa an Irish MP. Only a mulchie would come up with that name. I hate Fergal, Fionnula, Donna, Cathal. The list is endless.

Can you read? Read the thread title.

On topic, I love nearly all Irish girls' names, and quite a few boys' names.

I have a fondness for Russian girls' names for some reason, especially Tatyana and Natalia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

For boys, in no particular order:

Peter
    Philip
    Saul
    Thomas
    Sam
    Reuben

For girls, in no particular order:

Rebecca
    Ruby
    Daisy
    Lucia
    Sophie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Girls - Rebecca, Meave, Ellen

Boys - Ben, Jonathan, Josh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

Nah, Conor's truly awful.

you abviously dont come from irish blood like me then , conor was voted best name how many years in a row and most common in newborns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Forgot Ben, I like it on its own without the requisite -jamin. Such a lovely, soft, kind-sounding name. Reuben's cute too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Boys; Aidan ( I have a son named that).

Girls; Clodagh and Aisling, I adore Aisling because she is the beautiful young maiden Ireland) that came to mens in their dreams and begged them to free her from Britannia. I'm not being republican about it I just love the imagery. Clodagh is the name of a Tipperary river, but I adore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Conor
    Shane
    Mark

Karen
    Orla
    Emma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Love the names Phoebe and Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I seen the name Kyah recently for a girl and I love it.

Other girls names would be Megan, Lyn, Katlyn, Alana, Mia, Tasha
    Boys - Matthew, Jake, Joshua, Dean, Darragh & Max

Evan is actually Welsh for John.

Its just a different name, not a misspelling.

I know it's a welsh name but none of the people I've met that have it or have given it to their children are Welsh, they are Irish and Evin is an Irish name so I still think it's a misspelling borne out of ignorance.

Saibh wrote: »
    Conor
    Shane
    Mark

Karen
    Orla
    Emma

:D That's the best name on the list.

• Advertisement

you abviously dont come from irish blood like me then , conor was voted best name how many years in a row and most common in newborns
    Indeed, for in fact I am Jamaican, however did you know?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blue196

I remember having a phase when I was in my teens of loving the name Tzeitel (pronounced zytel). It's the name of one of the daughters in Fiddler on the Roof. For years I had it in my head to call my daughter that but when the time came I chickened out and went for an easy to spell option.
    Also like Isabelle, Adam, Ciara, and Caoimhe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Orla K wrote: »
    :D That's the best name on the list.

Ever looked it up in the dictionary? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Girl: Lyra, Leah, Grace
    Guy: Luke, Dean, Scott

Yeeeehhhh........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Webmonkey wrote: »

Donal is lovely as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donal is lovely as well...
    And so is David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Webmonkey wrote: »
    And so is David

Oh no my secret identity - EXPOSED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

phasers wrote: »
    I love the name Brendan
    o/ :D
    Seriously, it is a pretty good name and I'm happy enough with it.

For girls I really like the names Naomi, Courtney, Amber, Heather, Michelle and Becky (but not Rebecca) Unfortunately, stupid American shows with spoilt rich girls have ruined them a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

I have 2 girls Eleanor and Martha. Waiting on number 3 to arrive in a few weeks so this thread is a great help. Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

quite fond of the name " for sale "

works well on both genders

• Advertisement
Advertisement