Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive stolen my next door neighbours cat

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

okay a few things to add, very quickly though, as I'm nearly asleep!
    When we moved into a new rented house with our cat, we noticed that a large white cat was hanging around our back garden a lot. Never fed it, but the cat refused to go away. No collar, no indication it belonged to anyone. So after about four months of not doing anything, we began to leave a little food out and made a small shelter for him! One day about six months later, two young girls came knocking to say we had their cat. Promptly asked them to take him back, and apologised for any misunderstanding. However, a few weeks later, he was back. Turns out they had gone on holiday and no provision was made for anyone to feed him, or look after him. He was conveniently their cat, but also they never let him in or gave him any shelter. So once again we fed him, and since that day he never left our back garden. We also took him to the vet, neighbours never ever called around after that, or wondered what happened to him. Vet checked him out, treated him for fleas, vaccinated him etc. Two years later, he was happilly living in our shed, and also in the garden. After my cat died, he started coming into the house more and more. Took ill about 9 months ago, took him to the vet, turns out he was diabetic. Despite 2 months of insulin etc, he deteriorated rapidly, and we had to make a decision to let him go (as he was fairly old as well). We went to the neighbours to let them know. They thanked us for taking care of him for two years and said that they didn't want to or need to go to vet. We said goodbye to him and let him go peacefully.

He had made up his mind where he wanted to be. There are many cat owners on the road I live. Most of their cats live outdoors, and yet hardly ANY stay in my garden.....because their owners feed them, and also give them shelter, and make provisions should they go away on holidays. Hence they don't go straying. However, if people are not responsible enough to look after their own cat, then there is every possibility the cat will find a more reliable source of food, and if shelter is part of the deal, even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭James Mcfadden

When we moved into a new rented house with our cat, we noticed that a large white cat was hanging around our back garden a lot. Never fed it, but the cat refused to go away. No collar, no indication it belonged to anyone. So after about four months of not doing anything, we began to leave a little food out and made a small shelter for him! One day about six months later, two young girls came knocking to say we had their cat. Promptly asked them to take him back, and apologised for any misunderstanding. However, a few weeks later, he was back. Turns out they had gone on holiday and no provision was made for anyone to feed him, or look after him. He was conveniently their cat, but also they never let him in or gave him any shelter. So once again we fed him, and since that day he never left our back garden. We also took him to the vet, neighbours never ever called around after that, or wondered what happened to him. Vet checked him out, treated him for fleas, vaccinated him etc. Two years later, he was happilly living in our shed, and also in the garden. After my cat died, he started coming into the house more and more. Took ill about 9 months ago, took him to the vet, turns out he was diabetic. Despite 2 months of insulin etc, he deteriorated rapidly, and we had to make a decision to let him go (as he was fairly old as well). We went to the neighbours to let them know. They thanked us for taking care of him for two years and said that they didn't want to or need to go to vet. We said goodbye to him and let him go peacefully.

He had made up his mind where he wanted to be. There are many cat owners on the road I live. Most of their cats live outdoors, and yet hardly ANY stay in my garden.....because their owners feed them, and also give them shelter, and make provisions should they go away on holidays. Hence they don't go straying. However, if people are not responsible enough to look after their own cat, then there is every possibility the cat will find a more reliable source of food, and if shelter is part of the deal, even better!

Thats a really sad but lovely little story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

See, Pianist, this is the perfect scenario for the cat. You've taken full responsibility for the cat, so he didn't lose out. You can see how, if a neighbour knows someone else minds their cat, they can be irresponsible about its care - in your case they went on holidays and made no provision for it. That could be because they presumed you'd feed it - luckily, you did.

Still, isn't the cat lucky that you weren't on holidays at the same time? (It's obviously 100% the neighbour's fault for taking the piss like that, but imagine the outcome for the cat if you'd been away as well.)

Fair play to you - there are plenty of people who wouldn't do what you did - wouldn't foot the vets bills and wouldn't communicate about what you were doing with the cat's original owner the way you did.

Im sorry im not even going to read this post, so good luck to you and your welcome to your own opinion. :rolleyes:

That's your loss - and possibly the loss of the cat you're part-sharing if you're not interested in information as to its best interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This afternoon there was to massive black cats sun lounging in my front garden I do believe that they think its some type of holiday resort. They were lying on there backs outstreched lapping up the sun.

Word has gone around the cat community, your place is great for relaxing and getting free food. :D

You're gotten a reputation with the locals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Im sorry im not even going to read this post, so good luck to you and your welcome to your own opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't know you, I do try not to judge anyone, but I've read this whole thread and I think it's a very narrow minded thing to do, to so blatantly dismiss the friendly advice being given to you (at the poster's expense of time but free of charge to you) by an experienced cat owner/rescuer.

You opened the thread with an attention grabbing title and then turned your nose up at some of the attention cos it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
    Im a newbie here so bear with me here its not as bad as you think. Theres a beautiful white cat comes around are back and ive befriened it by giviing it some cheese and milk which it loves. But lately ive found it to be around all the time. It camps out in are garden and waits to be fed. It sits on a window sill and looks in at the television. It runs into are house and camps itself on top of my bed. Its very cute but the problem its its our neighbours cat. And it now doesnt go anywere near them as it seems that its better off here. :)

What you said in your first post (in bold above) seems to contradict what you said in another post (in bold below)
    Like I said before the cat still lives next door! It goes home every night and it only comes over to mine once a day sometimes it doesnt sometimes it does.

Which is it? Is the cat around all the time or not?

If the cat spends a lot of time in your home and you feed it, do the decent thing and let the neighbour know.

One of my cats is particularly friendly- follows the youngest to school sometimes, follows me bringing the dogs for a walk, all the neighbours know her and like her. She wouldn't get full meals from the neighbours cos they don't have cats and therefore no catfood, but they do give her tidbits. What I have on my hands now is an overweight cat. I had to ask the neighbours to just give her water if she's looking for a drink, because contrary to what you think- a fat cat is not a happy and healthy cat.

When a cat is overweight it slows them down, increasing the risk of being caught by a loose dog.
    Like a person, the weight puts extra strain on the heart, which could knock a few years off the cat's life.
    Vet visits, and bills, are increased. And I'm sure the neighbours won't cough up when it comes to paying. Not that I would expect them to- she is my cat, my responsibility, mine to worry about, mine to vaccinate, feed, and keep safe and happy.

So from an owner's perspective, your attitude isn't entirely fair. Let your neighbour know that the cat is at yours a lot, that you feed him, but that you don't intend to take any other responsibility for him. At least then, the cat will be provided for in all areas- by the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I am on the other side as original poster. For the last few years my cat has been going to a woman living near me. I know her and all . I dont mind it at all. The little fecker always comes back to mine.
    I met the lady in the pub about two weeks ago and she was saying she loves my cat calling up. I offered her money for the food she gives him and she said no so i left it off. Keano is a little legend.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I am on the other side as original poster. For the last few years my cat has been going to a woman living near me. I know her and all . I dont mind it at all. The little fecker always comes back to mine.
    I met the lady in the pub about two weeks ago and she was saying she loves my cat calling up. I offered her money for the food she gives him and she said no so i left it off. Keano is a little legend.

Great little story there again Sean, but I must admit what an awful name for a cat I can see why its left. Id have named it Stevie G or Xabi the cat it would sound much better.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You really are acting very selfishly. You like having the cat around as you like animals but don't want the responsibility of getting your own cat right now. You won't contact the cat's owner to see if what you are doing is alright by them as you obviously fear that they will ask you to stop what you are doing and you don't want to lose your little buddy, which is understandable.

But you are not a child, what you are doing may be detrimental to the cat, it may be upsetting it's owners and you should cop on and have a chat with the people who the cat actually belongs to before you continue any further. It may well turn out that the owners are happy for you to continue as you are with the cat. But it isn't up to you to decide that, it's not your cat. So man up and act responsibly.

iguana wrote: »
    You really are acting very selfishly. You like having the cat around as you like animals but don't want the responsibility of getting your own cat right now. You won't contact the cat's owner to see if what you are doing is alright by them as you obviously fear that they will ask you to stop what you are doing and you don't want to lose your little buddy, which is understandable.

But you are not a child, what you are doing may be detrimental to the cat, it may be upsetting it's owners and you should cop on and have a chat with the people who the cat actually belongs to before you continue any further. It may well turn out that the owners are happy for you to continue as you are with the cat. But it isn't up to you to decide that, it's not your cat. So man up and act responsibly.

I really wish I hadnt started this thread you guys are getting carried away with this post and making it more serious than it actually is. I dont feel I need to justify myself to you or anybody else on here but for the last and final time I would only give the cat a very very small piece of cheese maybe every other day and thats it. So if you dont agree with that well thats your problem.
    This thread was started for funny stories about your local cat around town and what it gets up to and nothing more. I enjoy reading those types of stories as I find them witty. If you dont have a story like that then dont post your rightious angry threads about me mistreating the cat in some way please.

End of story I dont want any more replies to this thread unless its a witty story or I will just add you to my ignore list. Thank you for your coperation! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I really wish I hadnt started this thread you guys are getting carried away with this post and making it more serious than it actually is. I dont feel I need to justify myself to you or anybody else on here but for the last and final time I would only give the cat a very very small piece of cheese maybe every other day and thats it. So if you dont agree with that well thats your problem.
    This thread was started for funny stories about your local cat around town and what it gets up to and nothing more. I enjoy reading those types of stories as I find them witty. If you dont have a story like that then dont post your rightious angry threads about me mistreating the cat in some way please.

End of story I dont want any more replies to this thread unless its a witty story or I will just add you to my ignore list. Thank you for your coperation! :)

I think you'll find that its the cat and its owner's problem if you keep giving it cheese, when you've been advised not to by people who know cats.

You really are showing your maturity, nobody is allowed to reply unless its to agree with you and massage your ego. Do you not understand how discussion forums work? Please do add me to your ignore list, I will be in good company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You only want to seem to listen to one side of the story.

Here's the cat owners side: I had a beautiful cat a few years which I got as a kitten at about 6 weeks old, she was going to be drowned if she didn't get a home. She was my first pet. I gave her proper cat food, wormed her, got her neutered, she slept indoors, had a small kennel outdoors for shelter for when she was outside during the day when I was at work. She was a lovely cat, no trouble at all. I live on a fairly new housing estate and about 2 years after I got the cat people moved in behind me with a couple of dogs and cats of their own. I noticed my cat was spending time over in their garden with their animals, no harm there, but then I noticed my cat was refusing to eat cat food and was disappearing at night

I then discovered that my neighbours were feeding her rashers and sausages and ham etc, the woman is a vegetarian and her husband is not and she liked to get rid of all the meat leftovers as often as possible. So anyway my cat started turning it's nose up at the cat food I was giving it - what cat wouldn't, I know I'd take rashers over cat food any day - my neighbours wouldn't stop feeding my cat and eventually it moved in with them. To be fair they now take responsibility for my cat, but I know it's got lesser status than their own animals because they took it on more like a stray than a pet they chose, it doesn't sleep in the house like their other pets. The cat won't come near me now although I did nothing wrong

Anyway I lost my pet to my neighbours because my neighbours kept feeding it. I have another cat I rescued now and he's grateful for a home and I know they don't feed my new cat but essentially they did steal my pet away from me, a pet I was attached to.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

My 2 cats trot over to my neighbours at 9am every morningas they know that the Fresh Cows Milk will be available for their consumption in their special bowls by the kitchen tableand then they stretch out by the range until ready.My neighbour is 92 and never had a cat on the place b4 we moved in.They are both 8 yld and have been doing this since they first ventured across the fields with my old cat as kittens.She had been doin it for 6 years b4 that and only died 2years ago.Am I now supposed to tell her to stop.

There is nothing wrong with being affectionate to and feeding someone else's pet as long as the owner is ok with it. My parents' neighbour invites our family dog into her house for an hour or so each morning and feeds him his breakfast meal. The dog enjoys her company (and food) and she loves the dog. She would prefer not to have a dog herself as she prefers not to have the responsibility so this way she has the best of both worlds. She also looks after the dog and walks him when my parents are away. But she would never do this if my parents' weren't happy with it. And she knows what rules my parents have for the dog inside the house and applies the same rules in hers so the dog doesn't get confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

WLPD wrote: »
    My 2 cats trot over to my neighbours at 9am every morningas they know that the Fresh Cows Milk will be available for their consumption in their special bowls by the kitchen tableand then they stretch out by the range until ready.My neighbour is 92 and never had a cat on the place b4 we moved in.They are both 8 yld and have been doing this since they first ventured across the fields with my old cat as kittens.She had been doin it for 6 years b4 that and only died 2years ago.Am I now supposed to tell her to stop.

No of course you're not. I had a cat that used to go to our elderly neighbours every day, they got up earlier than me in the mornings and he would always be waiting outside their back door. They loved it, and so did he. BUT the big difference with my cat, and yours and the OPs is that we communicated with our neighbours, so everybody knew what was going on. I don't think that anybody is saying he shouldn't be nice to the cat, let it in the house etc, as long as he talks to his neighbours and tells them whats going on. They used to feed Sparky sardines, which he absolutely loved, but I knew that, so would cut down on his food at home accordingly so that he didn't get overweight. When we moved the couple asked me to leave him behind, I didn't as we loved him, but then he did it to another elderly woman at our new place. Again, no problem, although she used to moan at me that my cat was coming into her house, then she let it slip one day that she was also feeding him sardines etc. She loved his company as her husband had died and she was on her own. But, I knew he was going in there, and that she loved having him.

Just to put some humour back into this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ESMilyErE&NR=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Great little story there again Sean, but I must admit what an awful name for a cat I can see why its left. Id have named it Stevie G or Xabi the cat it would sound much better.;)
    Silly names lol. I did find it hilarious though when he left. Like his namesake. To funny. He even has the cork accent. Meow boy.

WLPD wrote: »

If you're happy with what's going on, you don't have to do anything at all. As an aside, did you know that most cats are lactose intolerent and cow's milk gives them diarrhoea? Your cats might not be bothered by it, but most cats will get a massive dose of the sh1ts from a bowl of cow's milk. That's why we try to discourage people from giving kittens milk if they find them - you know, person finds litter of young kittens in the evening, keeps them overnight, gives them a big bowl of cow's milk because they're not aware it's a problem, turns them into the rescue at first light with the very best of intentions, and we have a litter of kittens squirting poo like water pistols, totally dehydrated, which can cause serious complications if they have other conditions (like are flea and worm ridden, which rescued feral litters often are).

WLPD, if you had to take your cats to the vet and the vet told you 'they're lactose intolerant, and the constant diarrhoea has meant they're often dehydrated. That dehydration has led to your cats suffering from urinary tract infections from crystals building up in their urine, and there's a risk their kidneys may shut down. My bill will be hundreds of shiny eurons.' - Would you think 'Oh well, we didn't know any better, I'll suck it up and pay the vet' or would you think 'That bloody moron and his cow's milk!!'

On another front, cats getting too much processed fish-based cat food for instance can get feline pansteatitis, or yellow fat disease. That needs medical treatment and a complete change in feeding regime.

For those feeling offended that their friendliness would be criticised: the issue isn't you being friendly to your neighbour's cat. That isn't a problem. There are two problems: communication and responsibility.

You can do what you like with your neighbour's cat if YOUR NEIGHBOUR KNOWS AND DOESN'T MIND. Between the two of you, you need to figure out who's feeding the animal what, and who's ultimately responsible for its vets bills if it's sick. That's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i can see both sides of this :D
    but, i dont think the op is doing any harm......shows he has a heart and he`s not feeding it huge amounts of anything:confused:
    i cant have cats....too many dogs......but i like to interact with my neighbours cats although, none of them come in my house for obv reasons:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I think the key to this kind of situation is to have a discussion with your neighbour about it. The owners of the cat that has adopted me has chatted with me about the "issue" - turns out her kids are v. small and frighten their cat, hence it comes over to me for peace & quiet.

She takes the cat to the vet when necessary, and I let her know when I worm and de-flea it when I'm doing my own cats.

As I won't be living in this house for much longer, we'll have to start a re-integration programme for her cat - she'll have to get used to living at home again. I do feel sorry for her though - they don't mind her as well as I do! :D They put her out at night, and buy the cheapest of cheap cat food. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 onthemove

Hi guys

Im a newbie here so bear with me here its not as bad as you think. Theres a beautiful white cat comes around are back and ive befriened it by giviing it some cheese and milk which it loves. But lately ive found it to be around all the time. It camps out in are garden and waits to be fed. It sits on a window sill and looks in at the television. It runs into are house and camps itself on top of my bed. Its very cute but the problem its its our neighbours cat. And it now doesnt go anywere near them as it seems that its better off here. :)[/quote/] you need to go live with the old lady that stole my cat ive been on the other end of it and just for the record the cat doesn't like you its using you for food if the cat had to choose between you or a piece of cheese fallin off a cliff the cat would be back at home watchin tv and youd be at the bottom of a cliff wondering why you didnt get ur own cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hi guys

Im a newbie here so bear with me here its not as bad as you think. Theres a beautiful white cat comes around are back and ive befriened it by giviing it some cheese and milk which it loves. But lately ive found it to be around all the time. It camps out in are garden and waits to be fed. It sits on a window sill and looks in at the television. It runs into are house and camps itself on top of my bed. Its very cute but the problem its its our neighbours cat. And it now doesnt go anywere near them as it seems that its better off here. [/quote/] you need to go live with the old lady that stole my cat ive been on the other end of it and just for the record the cat doesn't like you its using you for food if the cat had to choose between you or a piece of cheese fallin off a cliff the cat would be back at home watchin tv and youd be at the bottom of a cliff wondering why you didnt get ur own cat
    Fix your quote tag :D
    I thought that was your post and was having deja vu.

Should look like
    Hi guys

Im a newbie here so bear with me here its not as bad as you think. Theres a beautiful white cat comes around are back and ive befriened it by giviing it some cheese and milk which it loves. But lately ive found it to be around all the time. It camps out in are garden and waits to be fed. It sits on a window sill and looks in at the television. It runs into are house and camps itself on top of my bed. Its very cute but the problem its its our neighbours cat. And it now doesnt go anywere near them as it seems that its better off here.
    you need to go live with the old lady that stole my cat ive been on the other end of it and just for the record the cat doesn't like you its using you for food if the cat had to choose between you or a piece of cheese fallin off a cliff the cat would be back at home watchin tv and youd be at the bottom of a cliff wondering why you didnt get ur own cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 onthemove

Saruman wrote: »
    Fix your quote tag :D
    I thought that was your post and was having deja vu.

Should look like
    sorry yeah i mixed that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

seamus wrote: »
    Cats are lactose intolerant. The poor thing probably goes home and ****s all over the owner's carpet and they've no idea what's wrong with it.

Sorry but that is hilarious! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Most humans in the world are lactose intollerant too as far as I know.
    I do not do well with milk but im not intollerant as such, It just does not agree with me especially on a regular basis. In small doses its fine.

Anyway back to cats, that is why you should never give a cat milk, only water or you can give them special cat milk but its a waste of money. It does not stop them loving milk or cream though, the same way dogs love chocolate but its toxic to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephenf20

Mod note: stephenf20 infracted for advocating a cruel method to remove cats. This thread is 3 years old, please do not awaken zombie threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »
    Cats are lactose intolerant. The poor thing probably goes home and ****s all over the owner's carpet and they've no idea what's wrong with it.

Stop feeding it, and stop letting it into your house, at least until you know who owns it. Our downstairs neighbour has two cats, one of whom is very fond of coming into our house, but we only let him in when they're not around and if it's a cold or wet day. As soon as they come home, he gets thrown out to go down to them. He also gets thrown out around 8pm because that's when he gets fed.

Yet again this old wives; tale...Not all cats are lactose intolerant by any means

A very few are, and cheese does not have that effect even if they are. Nor does cooked milk. I have had over a hundred cats in my time, most indoors and using litter trays and never a one that was lactose intolerant.

Cats love cheese and it is very good for them. My present boy will steal it off my plate and never any ....issue....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Thread is from 2 years ago. I'm sure the situation has been resolved by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saruman wrote: »
    Most humans in the world are lactose intollerant too as far as I know.
    I do not do well with milk but im not intollerant as such, It just does not agree with me especially on a regular basis. In small doses its fine.

Anyway back to cats, that is why you should never give a cat milk, only water or you can give them special cat milk but its a waste of money. It does not stop them loving milk or cream though, the same way dogs love chocolate but its toxic to them.

Totally inaccurate. Period... shows how research can be misinterpreted. Both re humans and animals.

Experiance is far more worth than research.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Totally inaccurate. Period... shows how research can be misinterpreted. Both re humans and animals.

Experiance is far more worth than research.

Milk isn't toxic to cats, but cats like every other mammal species on earth become intolerant of lactose between mid-childhood and adulthood. The only exception to this are the descendants of two groups of humans, from east Africa and north-west Europe who, apparently independently, experienced a pair of mutations on Chromosome Two 5,000-10,000 years ago allowing for lactase persistence.

Just because your cats don't get sick doesn't mean they can metabolise the lactose. They simply can't as their intestines don't produce any lactase so the food converts to hydrogen. This will make many animals sick but it others in only results in gastric discomfort, runny stool with an acidic ph or stinky, stinky farts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement