Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody currently working on any open source projects ?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

see title !

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

yes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

oh yea, is it a secret project ?!

sorry I thought we were go for short succinct messages ... :)

I'm involved with an project called Adempiere.. an ERP.
    Hope to start a new project based on Apache OfBiz soon.

any particular reason you ask?

I was at a demo of an open source project named ERP5 last year, interesting stuff,

I'm looking to dip my feet into the open source pool, and am undecided on an interesting project

• Advertisement

Yes, ERP5 I Know it. Python if i remember correctly, but the interesting aspect was the whitepaper on production planning that it was based on.
    Did you see this demo in Ireland?

Do you have an particular area of interest? be that technical (Web based solutions) or business area (manufacturing solutions)? I have been watching the open source business solutions area closely for a few years now.

Yea python was an interesting choice, the demo was in UL, the primary developer was pitching ERP5 at a research meeting for funding, it was very interesting now that i think about it, everything in the system was represented by 5 primary objects: resources, nodes, movements, paths and items

If i recall correctly python was chosen because the zope application server provides better data persistance than Java's offerings

I am interested i guess more in the business area than the technology used, i find the production scheduling problem particularly interesting

> 5 primary objects: resources, nodes, movements, paths and items
    Yes. It was very interesting okay. The white paper on which ERP5 is based is a very interesting read if you haven;t already. It's

> i find the production scheduling problem particularly interesting
    a long time ago I was more involved in MRP and it was a dinger of a problem okay!
    In adempiere I've not been involved beyond chatting about it, but one of the guys there has done a lot of work on finite capacity scheduling for the project – as I say I never got around to the details but I do know he used YAP (yet another prolog) to resolve the scheduling... he also had it output a file readable by openProj (an open source project planner that can read MS project files) which was a nice touch.

Any particular reason why you asked your question here and not in the open source forum?

>Any particular reason why you asked your question here and not in the open source forum?

There seems to be a bit more traffic here !

>as I say I never got around to the details but I do know he used YAP (yet another prolog) to resolve the scheduling

Think i might take a look at the scheduling part of adempiere when i get some time, it would be interesting to see what sort of performace it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

This is a really interesting topic...

I'm a 2nd year CS student atm and plan on starting a number of small projects (mainly web apps) over the summer as I think I'll have a lot of time on my hands (R******** = no summer jobs)

One idea is to make a web app where a user can manage college assignments. They can add assignments, set due dates, track progress and save versions of work etc..

I'm sure there are tools like this at the moment but most of the ones i've seen complicate things by having lots of extra features.

My main reason for starting this kind of thing is so I can have some personal works to show off when i'm looking for work placement next summer. It would also be cool if a few others wanted to join in then I could add the 'teamwork' skill..:-)

Is this waay off topic and kind of hijacking this thread??

P.S. I'm not working on open source projects at the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

techguy wrote: »
    One idea is to make a web app where a user can manage college assignments. They can add assignments, set due dates, track progress and save versions of work etc..

I'm sure there are tools like this at the moment but most of the ones i've seen complicate things by having lots of extra features.
    look at TikiWiki. Can be locked down to one person editing or even only one person viewing.

Does all above.

Here is example used by people on boards. Most of the modules (Calendar, Projects, tasks, file gallery, chat etc are turned off). Public editing is off too. There could be other parts you only see if you have a login.
    http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-custom_home.php

I like this idea, i know as watty says there are a lot of tools that can be do this already but most of them are probably overkill, and im not aware of any that are designed with the student in mind.

I like the idea of managing college assignments, but perhaps we could think about designing a tool that can assist students in various other aspects of college. One idea might be to include a research module that can be used for logging research progress/notes and references etc. all in one place.
    Is this way off topic and kind of hijacking this thread??

No this is knida what i was getting at ! If you are interested in getting the ball rolling on this type of project pm me with you email and we can discuss it a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I like this idea, i know as watty says there are a lot of tools that can be do this already but most of them are probably overkill, and im not aware of any that are designed with the student in mind.

I agree.. I'd be thinking along the lines of making a user friendly app that will suit non CS students aslo, who wouldn't be that big into computers.
    I like the idea of managing college assignments, but perhaps we could think about designing a tool that can assist students in various other aspects of college. One idea might be to include a research module that can be used for logging research progress/notes and references etc. all in one place.

I like that idea.. Research for essays etc and for references you could input details like author,book title, pages etc and you could select what format you want the reference in..
    No this is knida what i was getting at ! If you are interested in getting the ball rolling on this type of project pm me with you email and we can discuss it a bit further.

I'm very interested in this, i'll PM you but I won't really be available until after my last college exam(20th).

Advertisement