Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL 10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Thing is those pics and demo are back from 2007 and the game was put on hold. Im sure if it actually hit full development they would have made it better. But the gameplay was going to better than Madden. Every Beta tester that tried it liked it better. Pity the game hasnt been given a chance. Who knows if it ever will. The Wiki date I would say is wrong.

Some additional info here:

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blogs/sports-blog/909097139/26915908/backbreaker-every-play-is-different.html?tag=blog;more;2

I'm not sure about anyone else but i was unhappy when the QB vision gotten rid of. Thought it was a good addition. It annoys me in madden 09 that playaction doesn't really work and that some defenders have a superhuman abiliity to catch up with throw well behind them to block them.

Think the franchise mode could be a bit more indepth - like back with madden 06.

Also tackling feels very rigid. the idea that every tackle in 'backbreaker' is different sounds interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

One thing I really miss about old Maddens is custom plays. If something like the tackle animation generator in the Backbreaker engine works broadly in the whole game, that has to mean it would be possible to script plays with quite a lot of freedom.

Which would be fantastic. The only way to get that in 09 is hot routes, and that's pretty limited in terms of what you can do. If you could draw up even a set amount of custom plays per playbook, that would really be an upgrade in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Karlusss wrote: »
    One thing I really miss about old Maddens is custom plays. If something like the tackle animation generator in the Backbreaker engine works broadly in the whole game, that has to mean it would be possible to script plays with quite a lot of freedom.

Which would be fantastic. The only way to get that in 09 is hot routes, and that's pretty limited in terms of what you can do. If you could draw up even a set amount of custom plays per playbook, that would really be an upgrade in my book.

EA are lazy in my opinion. They know millions will continue to buy Madden if even the changes are small. The NFL license and 20 years of making a name for itself makes it sell. Older versions of Madden are much better but you have to go back to PS2 and PS1 days to find the classic. Ever since the introduction of the 360 and PS3 they are more interested in making it look better.

NCAA continues to grow yearly but again at a slow rate but better than Madden gameplay knocks it for 6. Someone needs to combine NCAA, Madden and that Backbreaker game.

"Individual team playbooks are still under discussion--while the team has the ability to quickly create plays, it still hasn't been decided whether to give each team its own playbook or the number of plays that will be in each team's playbook."

from that article...

Wow... that would definitely be a pretty big turn-off for me.

EA are lazy in my opinion. They know millions will continue to buy Madden if even the changes are small. The NFL license and 20 years of making a name for itself makes it sell. Older versions of Madden are much better but you have to go back to PS2 and PS1 days to find the classic. Ever since the introduction of the 360 and PS3 they are more interested in making it look better.

NCAA continues to grow yearly but again at a slow rate but better than Madden gameplay knocks it for 6. Someone needs to combine NCAA, Madden and that Backbreaker game.

I really think a competitive market is needed for EA to get the finger out. Competition is the mother of innovation and all that. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I think any licence NFL or other should be shared between a number of developers or whatever. Think something similar should be done with FIFA and Pro Evo.

May have a look at NCAA if I get the money...

• Advertisement

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I really think a competitive market is needed for EA to get the finger out. Competition is the mother of innovation and all that. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I think any licence NFL or other should be shared between a number of developers or whatever. Think something similar should be done with FIFA and Pro Evo.

May have a look at NCAA if I get the money...

Totally agree about competition as it forces each others hand to be better. But the problem is the NFL Licence. I just dont see them spreading it about anymore. They used to have the ESPN games but they lost the licence fairly sharply and the EA Empire grew and bought out the whole licence. The ESPN games were much better than Madden in my opinion and were ahead of their time. The in helmet camera thing was class. EA just have too much money and its for this reason the NFL and FIFA licences wont be spread about. No other developer can compete.

Totally agree about competition as it forces each others hand to be better. But the problem is the NFL Licence. I just dont see them spreading it about anymore. They used to have the ESPN games but they lost the licence fairly sharply and the EA Empire grew and bought out the whole licence. The ESPN games were much better than Madden in my opinion and were ahead of their time. The in helmet camera thing was class. EA just have too much money and its for this reason the NFL and FIFA licences wont be spread about. No other developer can compete.

True, but surely it is along the same lines as Microsoft and their control of the operating system market. I believe some regulation should be brought in as the licence is an obvious competitive advantage, but realistically I could never see it happening. (way off topic)

Does Backbreaker even have a chance of getting some of the franchises in, like how Pro Evo has some real teams (two premiership a year fully licensed I think) and then some as a vague approximation?

If they could get, like, the Steelers, combined with the tackling thing, they could market it as a "smashmouth football" kind of game, and it could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I've been reading a article about it on IGN and it defintely looks like it will be released. Some of the most notable quotes.
    Controlling your player as he makes his way down the field is easy. Holding the right trigger sends him into aggressive mode where more powerful moves open up. While holding the trigger you'll not only run faster, but you'll also be able to lower your head into a battering ram and stiff arm guys out of the way. To land a stiff arm properly you'll need to make sure that the ball is being carried in the proper hand. Unlike in Madden where this is handled automatically by the AI, in Backbreaker you'll need to press the A button (X on PS3) to switch hands
    Some of the tackles in Backbreaker are more impressive than others. Sometimes it just looks like players fall to the ground when their shoe glances off of a player's finger. Other times you can almost feel the pain through the screen. This is particularly evident when a player goes airborne and gets drilled mid-jump. Limbs fly everywhere. It's very gratifying
    From the pre-alpha version of Backbreaker that I played, there's still plenty of work to be done to iron out the experience. The camera is troubling and the action when running the ball is a bit too frenetic to be able to make calculated moves. Then there's the problem of throwing only a bullet pass, not being able to switch players on defense, and other hiccups in general gameplay. Yes, there's plenty to do between now and this fall but one thing is certain: the technology that's running Backbreaker has the potential to make for a great game of football. Here's hoping the development team can iron out the kinks before this puppy ships later this year

All in all it doesn't look that bad. If they actually make the tackling system revoultionary (sp) then it hopefully will compete with EA. My biggest concern has to be the Uniforms. I know the game is suppossedly set in the future but they look very space age oriented. I don't need real teams and players but I do want them to look like real teams and players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The graphics look better but I'd like to see some rolling demos before I make up my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im still loving Madden 09. Ive together an irresistable Patriots team, with a forward line of Tom Brady, Reggie Bush, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald and Wes Welker. Plus, Jerod Mayo is a beast :D

Archimedes wrote: »
    Im still loving Madden 09. Ive together an irresistable Patriots team, with a forward line of Tom Brady, Reggie Bush, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald and Wes Welker. Plus, Jerod Mayo is a beast :D

How did you manage to sign larry & Bush?

Which perfectly shows why Madden isn't as realistic as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Don't know if any of you guys play Madden online with the 360. If you have played like me through the lobbies not doubt you have become frustrated with the cheezy plays and going for it on 4th down. If you are interested in joing a league go to www.xbln.net and have a look around. They run a great league setup with strict rules as to how to play the game. Most players from the UK, couple of Irish in the league. Miced up for all games so great chat as you play. Currently league is midseason but sign up and get playing some friendlies there and join up for the Madden 10 league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

I just hope they fix the damn freezing problems that happen on madden 09! they drove me crazy.

Hey guys.

I dont expect too many replies to this, but Im setting up what would hopefully be a 32 team online Madden 2009 league on the Xbox 360 which would follow the same format as an NFL season. Teams would be split into conferences, divisions etc. based on what team you pick, the exact same way as the NFL. If you're interested, just send me a PM. Cheers.

Arc

Hey guys.

I dont expect too many replies to this, but Im setting up what would hopefully be a 32 team online Madden 2009 league on the Xbox 360 which would follow the same format as an NFL season. Teams would be split into conferences, divisions etc. based on what team you pick, the exact same way as the NFL. If you're interested, just send me a PM. Cheers.

Arc

I would definitely enter if I could play EA games online. Still havent figured out why I cant play games and both eircom and ea are clueless.

Basically when I sign in and pick an opponent we get to the screen where it says waiting for the opponent and nothing happens. basically the other user doesnt see me and vice versa fricking annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Is your NAT strict?

columok wrote: »
    Is your NAT strict?

no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Ok here goes.

Basically if you're working off a router and the other person you're looking to play is working off a router there can be problems. The router has inbuilt defences to stop individuals accessing your computer which can cause problems on live.

To analogise a router can be like having a front door- with a strict NAT like having the front door closed with the only entry point being the letterbox.
    Your ability to connect with another person depends entirely on whether their front door is open and your front door is open. If both of you have strict NAT then its like trying to throw a bullet pass out your letterbox into their letterbox. If we can open up your NAT then it'll be easy to connect with others (generally no matter how tight their NAT).

1) You wanna test your xbox live connection using the option in settings:

I think you go into network settings on your 360 and test xbox live connection. If it comes up as strict then there is your problem

2) You need to go www.portforward.com and look up your router. Then you need to open pinholes (gaps in the figurative door). Its a pretty good site and should steer you in the right direction.

Colum

• Advertisement

columok wrote: »
    Ok here goes.

Basically if you're working off a router and the other person you're looking to play is working off a router there can be problems. The router has inbuilt defences to stop individuals accessing your computer which can cause problems on live.

To analogise a router can be like having a front door- with a strict NAT like having the front door closed with the only entry point being the letterbox.
    Your ability to connect with another person depends entirely on whether their front door is open and your front door is open. If both of you have strict NAT then its like trying to throw a bullet pass out your letterbox into their letterbox. If we can open up your NAT then it'll be easy to connect with others (generally no matter how tight their NAT).

1) You wanna test your xbox live connection using the option in settings:

I think you go into network settings on your 360 and test xbox live connection. If it comes up as strict then there is your problem

2) You need to go www.portforward.com and look up your router. Then you need to open pinholes (gaps in the figurative door). Its a pretty good site and should steer you in the right direction.

Colum

Cheers Colum will look into that later.

No problem TO (lol TO, get it?) :D

Im afraid Im no good with computers, but best of luck sorting that out.

So far, three people are in. The teams picked so far are Patriots, Ravens and Giants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nimblescot

Very True I stopped playing madden 4 years ago. NCAA is a far superior game for gameplay.

Where do you get a PAL version of NCAA football? All the versions I've seen are NTSC.

Nimblescot wrote: »
    Where do you get a PAL version of NCAA football? All the versions I've seen are NTSC.

PS3 has NCAA as the PS3 is not region locked. And my Xbox 360 is American

Speaking of which anyone play the NCAA Football 10 demo?. Haven't yet just started downloading it.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Speaking of which anyone play the NCAA Football 10 demo?. Haven't yet just started downloading it.

Yes class as always.

Yes class as always.

Yep played it just now and enjoyed it.

For those of you who own a PS3 but don't know whether to get the game or not,this guy recorded himself playing the whole demo on a Xbox 360 and posted 4 videos (1 for each quarter) Theyare some nice videos and you can form your own impressions from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

Anyone here wana join a franchise league?if so message me

Lorcan 17 wrote: »
    Anyone here wana join a franchise league?if so message me

What console PS3 or 360?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

xbox 360

Advertisement