Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Galway Closing?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was talking to someone last weekend who said that all her friends working at the Galway Shopping Centre Tesco's were on notice as they are no longer needed, and that Tesco's have decided that keeping the main store open is no longer viable. She also told me that the occupiers of the other units in there that they own (apparently when tesco first moved in, they bought the main store and a number of adjacent units) to either "Buy Up or Get Out", as they are going to sell the site. She also reckoned that the re-development of the site is now on hold due to the local economy going bad, and that Tesco have also shelved their planned Oranmore development.

Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? At the moment, until I get any confirmation, I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Havent heard anything myself, would never expect a massive retailer like Tesco to close down? Could be due to the fact that they would be in direct competition for customers being so close to Aldi and Lidl.... Maybe theyre just trying to cover themselves by putting the staff on notice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's highly unlikey OP, it's probably that Tesco will no longer be open 24h and will let some people go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Yes, less staff needed as it is no longer 24h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Possibly linked to the re-development of the Headford Rd Shopping Centre sometime in the future, Maybe they will vacate earlier to help with the rebuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nikkiplc2001

Hey guys as far as i know nobody in Tesco Galway has been put on notice and there is no such talk about it in the store. Yes they have put the development of the oranmore store on hold, until the end of this year to early next year. At the moment Tesco are trading 24hrs, but with the economy going the way it is, it wouldn't suprise me if they stopped trading 24hrs, but to close the store alltogether is highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

i doubt it.. could daytime business really have dropped to a point where they can't maintain a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

besides they just opened a new tesco on the headford road somewhere..

It must be the competiton from N17 and Terryland Fruit and Veg. An unstoppable combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

It must be the competiton from N17 and Terryland Fruit and Veg. An unstoppable combination.

Good one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Tesco galway is starting a refit on Monday nite and Oranmore if still in progress.
    Do you really think a company which opens shops in Westport, Ballinrobe, Claremorris, Castlebar, Ballina,Ballinasloe, Ennis ,Carrick on Shannon to name a few are going to walk away from Galway. Remember its because of brown envelopes that they have been refused permission for sites in Briarhill, Knocknacarra and Rahoon/Distributor rd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 twinkle_toes

Bonzodog wrote: »
    I was talking to someone last weekend who said that all her friends working at the Galway Shopping Centre Tesco's were on notice as they are no longer needed, and that Tesco's have decided that keeping the main store open is no longer viable. She also told me that the occupiers of the other units in there that they own (apparently when tesco first moved in, they bought the main store and a number of adjacent units) to either "Buy Up or Get Out", as they are going to sell the site. She also reckoned that the re-development of the site is now on hold due to the local economy going bad, and that Tesco have also shelved their planned Oranmore development.

Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? At the moment, until I get any confirmation, I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

maybe someone got their notice and to make themselves feel better said "oh it happened everyone, not just me" and you started this whole thread cos of their lies!!! how selfish of someone!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

WLPD wrote: »
    Tesco galway is starting a refit on Monday nite

Is it the inside of the origional store or are they starting work on expanding into the old Altantic Homecare building beside the bowling alley?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco are closing but only on monday & tuesday

I presume they are reconfiguring the store and bringing in more uk brands, saw some tea brands there yesterday i've never noticed before.
    also they are offering double clubcard points this saturday and sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco are closing but only on monday & tuesday

I presume they are reconfiguring the store and bringing in more uk brands, saw some tea brands there yesterday i've never noticed before.
    also they are offering double clubcard points this saturday and sunday

It was in the Tribune today that they are closing monday and tuesday to prepare to bring in their border prices promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

WLPD wrote: »
    Tesco galway is starting a refit on Monday nite and Oranmore if still in progress.
    Do you really think a company which opens shops in Westport, Ballinrobe, Claremorris, Castlebar, Ballina,Ballinasloe, Ennis ,Carrick on Shannon to name a few are going to walk away from Galway. Remember its because of brown envelopes that they have been refused permission for sites in Briarhill, Knocknacarra and Rahoon/Distributor rd

Sure the Castlebar shop was opened 8 years ago when times were good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

dloob wrote: »
    It was in the Tribune today that they are closing monday and tuesday to prepare to bring in their border prices promotion.

Wierd seeing as the letterkenny shop (and I imagine most other border tescos) did it overnight as far as I know. Maybe they are moving a few of the isles around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I used to shop in Tesco all the time until a few weeks ago.

I refuse to do so anymore. The way they are squeezing out Irish suppliers is scandalous.

And their Tesco Value price scheme is a load of bull. They've been sneaking up them prices steadily for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

kraggy wrote: »
    ...The way they are squeezing out Irish suppliers...

I hope Asda never come and set up in Galway - They are even worse ! :(

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't shop there much if at all really, switched to supervalue, they've gotten some good deals in and their Irish. I don't mind paying a slight premium if I know the money stays local.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's highly unlikey OP, it's probably that Tesco will no longer be open 24h and will let some people go
    I agree. At a time when the big ones are looking to open in large towns, I cannon a company like TESCO closing. more likely, cutting back opening hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

You don't blame Tesco for selling non-irish goods. You blame the people who buy them. Tesco sell what people buy. If they weren't selling, Tesco would have them off the shelf in no time, replaced by something that would sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Originally Posted by kraggy
    ...The way they are squeezing out Irish suppliers..

firstly, dunnes so called irish company, love too put how many irish purchases made on your till receipt,
    source ALL there stock from there northern irish warehouse, or there UK stores or there spanish stores,
    asda are walmart which is a american company, and tescos uk..

both asda and tescos are extremly cheap because they are so big, and ireland in its self will not change that, so i would whole heartedly welcome asda, too shift the price drop up a step,
    i will always shop in tesco when i can and would shop in asda in a heart beat, why..
    because they dont pretend as dunnes do. they are what they are,
    and if this country is going to get back on its feet,
    more industry coming here is nothing but a good thing, ireland has less population that the whole of london...
    face it, be irish and proud but dont look a gift horse in the mouth , this small proud country needs all the help out can get,
    and now the EU, arent handing out €€ to ireland anymore new industry is the only way
    asda and tescos will be here long long after supervalu (super rip off) and dunnes ( donts).

Screw being patriotic. Saving money shopping in Lidl/Aldi/Tescos will benefit me more in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

You don't blame Tesco for selling non-irish goods. You blame the people who buy them. Tesco sell what people buy. If they weren't selling, Tesco would have them off the shelf in no time, replaced by something that would sell.
    Don't agree about 'blame the people who buy them'.
    If Tesco can sell at a particular price, the the competition should take note.
    In the current climate people are looking for value for money, not being screwed by some local supermarket. They local guys had it too good for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Northern Ireland = Ireland

Also, no loss if tesco did close, it's a fkin kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Tesco Galway is a kip. Its the dirtiest super market I know. There is 5 dunnes in Galway that i know of, the one in the worst condition imo is Westside, but it is still about 10 times better kept than tesco.

Tesco value food(or whatever they have it branded as now) is muck, for the same price you get somethin in Aldi that is not only actually edible, but very comparable to named brand quality and in some cases is even nicer.

If anyone hasnt tried Joyces out in knocknacarra you should go out for the spin, has some very nice stuff, meat counter is great, and is very good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Originally Posted by kraggy
    ...The way they are squeezing out Irish suppliers..

firstly, dunnes so called irish company, love too put how many irish purchases made on your till receipt,
    source ALL there stock from there northern irish warehouse, or there UK stores or there spanish stores,
    asda are walmart which is a american company, and tescos uk..

both asda and tescos are extremly cheap because they are so big, and ireland in its self will not change that, so i would whole heartedly welcome asda, too shift the price drop up a step,
    i will always shop in tesco when i can and would shop in asda in a heart beat, why..
    because they dont pretend as dunnes do. they are what they are,
    and if this country is going to get back on its feet,
    more industry coming here is nothing but a good thing, ireland has less population that the whole of london...
    face it, be irish and proud but dont look a gift horse in the mouth , this small proud country needs all the help out can get,
    and now the EU, arent handing out €€ to ireland anymore new industry is the only way
    asda and tescos will be here long long after supervalu (super rip off) and dunnes ( donts).

hard to read. and how is us sending more money abroad a good thing for our economy?
    Tesco Galway is a kip. Its the dirtiest super market I know. There is 5 dunnes in Galway that i know of, the one in the worst condition imo is Westside, but it is still about 10 times better kept than tesco.

Tesco value food(or whatever they have it branded as now) is muck, for the same price you get somethin in Aldi that is not only actually edible, but very comparable to named brand quality and in some cases is even nicer.

If anyone hasnt tried Joyces out in knocknacarra you should go out for the spin, has some very nice stuff, meat counter is great, and is very good value.

someone recommending the Joyces meat counter, gotta lol. remember that place got closed down before by health and safety?

and value? me arse, Joyce has been running a monopoly on Knocknacarra for years, there used to be €10 at least on an average groceries bill just because he could get away with it. they've come down a fair bit because of Dunnes moving in on the Western Distributor, but they aren't exactly good value for a lot of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Don't agree about 'blame the people who buy them'.
    If Tesco can sell at a particular price, the the competition should take note.
    In the current climate people are looking for value for money, not being screwed by some local supermarket. They local guys had it too good for too long.

My point was about buying non-irish goods.
    You seem to be attacking local supermarkets who overcharge. Different point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

My point was about buying non-irish goods.
    You seem to be attacking local supermarkets who overcharge. Different point.

It's a pity we don't have more Irish goods to buy. We need to sort out our manufacturing industry now the illusory property money has gone *poof*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It's a pity we don't have more Irish goods to buy. We need to sort out our manufacturing industry now the illusory property money has gone *poof*

what manufacturing industry?

Advertisement