Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Galway Closing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Tesco Galway is a kip. Its the dirtiest super market I know.
    If anyone hasnt tried Joyces out in knocknacarra you should go out for the spin,

Now that is funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Screw being patriotic. Saving money shopping in Lidl/Aldi/Tescos will benefit me more in the long run.

Shopping in the first 2 is fairly patriotic. A lot more so than the last one. Lidl and Aldi source A LOT of their stock from Irish suppliers.

what manufacturing industry?
    This city develops and builds a lot of medical devises and software.

Going back to making hats and shoes isn't going to sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

kraggy wrote: »
    Shopping in the first 2 is fairly patriotic. A lot more so than the last one. Lidl and Aldi source A LOT of their stock from Irish suppliers.

Yeah, the bread comes from NI, spuds from Spain, yep loads of Irish. Check the codes on produces, some maybe processed in Ireland but a lot is not

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

someone recommending the Joyces meat counter, gotta lol. remember that place got closed down before by health and safety?

and value? me arse, Joyce has been running a monopoly on Knocknacarra for years, there used to be €10 at least on an average groceries bill just because he could get away with it. they've come down a fair bit because of Dunnes moving in on the Western Distributor, but they aren't exactly good value for a lot of products.

Cant comment on how they used to be, I went there for the first time in 2009. The meat I was getting was a good a quality or better meat that I was getting anywhere else in Galway. Shop was never dirty while I was there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

This city develops and builds a lot of medical devises and software.

Going back to making hats and shoes isn't going to sort things out.

kinda my point.

Disagree on the software thing though, as an IT graduate here Galway can be a hard place to get a job, there's not many companies here for the size of the place. Also, we don't develop half as much as we think we do in this country relating to IT, most are simply support thingies. most of those 'high value' IT jobs you here about on the radio are simply small localisation centres, support and tele-sales services. not the type of thing an IT graduate wants to walk into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

about six months ago there was an outbreak of card skimming in galway. my card was one of the ones that was skimmed and i know for a fact the only place the card was used that month was in joyces supermarket.

since that id steer well clear, dodgy staff to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crystal castle

F**k tescos. Buy irish. Doesn't mean you have to be overcharrged, it just means buy irish products. Tescos couldn't give a sh!t about the consumer, they are profiteering and using the weak sterling as leverage. I don't disagree with people who went North shopping, but to stay at home and to dine out al anglo be prepared have your questions answered on where your job has gone. Its a similar story for cheaper labour within ireland, and the outsourcing or certain work outside ireland. Same difference. Money leaves the country one way or the other.

They're even ending the computers for schools.

BASTARDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Bonzodog wrote: »
    I was talking to someone last weekend who said that all her friends working at the Galway Shopping Centre Tesco's were on notice as they are no longer needed, and that Tesco's have decided that keeping the main store open is no longer viable. She also told me that the occupiers of the other units in there that they own (apparently when tesco first moved in, they bought the main store and a number of adjacent units) to either "Buy Up or Get Out", as they are going to sell the site. She also reckoned that the re-development of the site is now on hold due to the local economy going bad, and that Tesco have also shelved their planned Oranmore development.

Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? At the moment, until I get any confirmation, I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

I am sure I read in the advertiser last thursday of Tesco shutting down for a few weeks to re open with a bigger and better cut down on prices. I'm not sure if this is the same tesco, i'm nearly certain it's the one on headford rd? Just so they can sort out all the stock or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

thecivvie wrote: »
    Yeah, the bread comes from NI, spuds from Spain, yep loads of Irish. Check the codes on produces, some maybe processed in Ireland but a lot is not
    All of the main supermarkets import their products.
    There is very little actually produced in Ireland.
    The used terms like 'processed', but that is like ripening bananas.

• Advertisement

B****S.

They finish in June but come back the following year, it is not a year round thing, same as SuperValu
    All of the main supermarkets import their products.
    There is very little actually produced in Ireland.
    The used terms like 'processed', but that is like ripening bananas.

Yeah true, I do wonder if it will work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They're even ending the computers for schools..

But it ends EVERY year, it is an annual promotion they runs for a few months, makes way for the next one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

F**k tescos. Buy irish. Doesn't mean you have to be overcharrged, it just means buy irish products. Tescos couldn't give a sh!t about the consumer, they are profiteering and using the weak sterling as leverage. I don't disagree with people who went North shopping, but to stay at home and to dine out al anglo be prepared have your questions answered on where your job has gone. Its a similar story for cheaper labour within ireland, and the outsourcing or certain work outside ireland. Same difference. Money leaves the country one way or the other.

BASTARDS.

Which Irish or foreign chain store do you think gives a damn about its customers? Tesco are reacting to consumer pressure to reduce their prices they and any other retailer are there to make a profit not make us feel good about our shopping, that is where choice comes in and shopping around, something Irish people until recently have been notoriously rubbish at, hence shops being able to charge higher prices without a squeak from the Irish customer in the past 10years.
    Its a case of you reap what you sow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crystal castle

RE: Computers for school...sarcasm people...

Webbs, i doubt anyone cares about their customers merely their money. I still think its shocking that a multinational company can do its best to erode irish products and buy off the irish public with cheaper offers...only on english sourced products as far as i hear. But i guess the question is - if dell leaving limerick will make laptops cheaper to purchase is it for the greater good? I think not. Other may disagree as they are only concerned about themselves and their own pocket, and they are well entitled to, but I think its disgraceful as it will only result in the loss of more irish jobs in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... But i guess the question is - if dell leaving limerick will make laptops cheaper to purchase is it for the greater good?

I suspect there are a few Polish people who'll be grateful to get a job close to home in the new factory though. Is it for the greater good that some jobs go there? Was it for the greater good that the EU pumped money (that came from other countries) into "2nd-world" Ireland, to get the infrastructure somewhere vaguely resembling a developed country?

So many complex questions, so few simple answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Old thread here but anyway...

Is Tesco 24-hour at the moment?

Old thread here but anyway...

Is Tesco 24-hour at the moment?

Yes, still opens 24/7

Advertisement