Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

approximate landscaping cost

Options
  • 01-05-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

Ok I know this is an very open question aka "how long is a piece of string" but Im just trying to get a handle on how much it would be likelly to cost to get my back garden landscaped.

Its approx 60 ft by 25 ft.

Id love to get it done but Id like to get an handle of the cost range before pursuing this. The last thing I want to do is pay a designer somewhere between €500 & €1,000 euro only to realise that Im going to have to hold off on the implementation whilst I get more cash together.

Wasnt thinking of anything over the top. Maybe a nice shaped lawn something with curves kidney shaped, hourglass shaped something like that, a patio and some no maintenance planting.

Then whatever else is needed, water feature, lighting and so on so forth.

what would be the kind of starting price would I be looking at do have it designed and implemented ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

If you can figure the cost of the hard landscaping first,paving slabs,gravel,sand. Then the cost of the plants you want. Then the cost of the lawn,preperation,leveling,seed. Then the cost of labour/man hours. Then if you can still afford the designer,you should have a figure. Then add about 30 per cent more! Its easy enough to cost the materials yourself and if you do the work yourself it wont cost too much. But employing a designer? The skys the limit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

D3PO wrote: »
    Ok I know this is an very open question aka "how long is a piece of string" but Im just trying to get a handle on how much it would be likelly to cost to get my back garden landscaped.

Its approx 60 ft by 25 ft.

Id love to get it done but Id like to get an handle of the cost range before pursuing this. The last thing I want to do is pay a designer somewhere between €500 & €1,000 euro only to realise that Im going to have to hold off on the implementation whilst I get more cash together.

Wasnt thinking of anything over the top. Maybe a nice shaped lawn something with curves kidney shaped, hourglass shaped something like that, a patio and some no maintenance planting.

Then whatever else is needed, water feature, lighting and so on so forth.

what would be the kind of starting price would I be looking at do have it designed and implemented ?

Well that site is roughly 125sq m. here are some ideas on costs( ex VAT):

design € 300.00 - € 480.00
    natural stone paving (s+f) € 75.00 - €110.00/sq m
    roll out turf € 8.00 - € 10.00/sq m
    planting (based on 3/sq m): € 25.00 -€ 30.00
    site clearance/groundworks/excavations/rotovations/levelling: €5.00-€10.00/sq m
    specimen planting: € 90.00 - € 200.00ea
    waste disposal/skip hire: € 270.00 - € 690.00

and on and on .......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

My garden is half the size of yours and I got quotes ranging from EUR3,500 to EUR9,500 and that was without water features etc. See if you can do up a plan yourself and then price it up as in first reply. The sky is the limit with these designers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

thanks Sonnen and TryU

So basically Im looking somewhere in the €10,000 - €20,000 range most likely thats what I needed to know.

only got 12k allocated for the garden right now I think I might leave it another year so and make sure I do it right.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

why don't you use a grand of your stash

buy a big mother BBQ, couple crates of beer, and some food for said BBQ.

Sit down and plan what you want, what you'd like growing and that kinda thing.
    Draw up a plan on some paper.
    Go price and cost the thing.
    Then when you figure out the figure, and are happy with it,
    Have a gardening BBQ party and invite your mates round for the day (cheap labour :))
    ( in fairness you'll probably need to have a few BBQ's to get through all the work, but for beer, burgers and steak I'll do a lot of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

D3PO wrote: »
    thanks Sonnen and TryU

So basically Im looking somewhere in the €10,000 - €20,000 range most likely thats what I needed to know.

only got 12k allocated for the garden right now I think I might leave it another year so and make sure I do it right.

thanks again

I'd check your calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

get a design for free online, then cost the landscaping, etc, remember you do not have to do it all at once, m.m gave you a great starting point, WHY do every one need a designer, make your own design, do it bit by bit, realise this is your own CREATION, it will reflect YOU, if you do not like any part of it you can always change it,

old boy wrote: »
    WHY do every one need a designer, make your own design,

I can draw matchstick men thats about the level of my artistic impression thats why I need a designer :)

absolutly ive got ideas but I wouldnt be able to draw them out in a plan, ive seen ideas on websites that id like but id really need a designer to draw it out with some guidance from me along with suggestions that he / she might have.

i know nothing about plants at all so i wouldnt be able to do a planting plan, im sure the soil ph and garden orientation amongst other things all have an impact on what you can and cant use.

i realise its a big investment but my take is it would be a one off investment of something that Id hope would last a very long time.

anyway thanks to everybody for their inputs ive taken em all onboard.

old boy wrote: »
    get a design for free online, realise this is your own CREATION, it will reflect YOU,

slight contradiction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

all websites that do this kina stuff give you a blank canvass, you then select the size you require for the lawn hard landscaping etc, you get to pick the flowers and shrubs, cnet,com have a few you can download some are freeware some are free to try, quite a few designers use them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement