Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi. I'm just wondering about people's current experience of the IT (specifically software development) job market?

I get the impression that the industry hasn't been quite as badly affected as others by the recession and that there is still demand for developers - but maybe I'm wrong.

I work for a profitable software company but I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of redundancies over the next few months. Is there anyone with recent experience of looking for a development job? Maybe you could share your experience here?

The job sites have a lot advertised but I'd say well over 90% of them are advertised by agencies and I'm always suspicious of these being real jobs as opposed to a CV gathering exercise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

LinoRichie wrote: »
    Hi. I'm just wondering about people's current experience of the IT (specifically software development) job market?

I get the impression that the industry hasn't been quite as badly affected as others by the recession and that there is still demand for developers - but maybe I'm wrong.

I work for a profitable software company but I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of redundancies over the next few months. Is there anyone with recent experience of looking for a development job? Maybe you could share your experience here?

The job sites have a lot advertised but I'd say well over 90% of them are advertised by agencies and I'm always suspicious of these being real jobs as opposed to a CV gathering exercise.

I am a software developer graduate and I am finding it hard to get a grad program job. A lot of the big companies have closed or frozen their grad programs for this year. Seem to be positions mainly for people with 5years+ experience but nowhere near the mass there was a year or two ago.

That recent news report about 5000 shortfall in IT jobs seems like a lot of horse to me. (think it was in the examiner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Most companies have a hiring freeze at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Skud wrote: »
    That recent news report about 5000 shortfall in IT jobs seems like a lot of horse to me. (think it was in the examiner)

Not sure what they meant by 5,000 but there are jobs out there. But it is a employers market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hobbes wrote: »
    Not sure what they meant by 5,000 but there are jobs out there. But it is a employers market at the moment.

yes big time.

I can't find the article and would love to, a number of friends mentioned it to me but I haven't found it online because examiner site is poor and doesnt seem to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Skud wrote: »
    yes big time.

I can't find the article and would love to, a number of friends mentioned it to me but I haven't found it online because examiner site is poor and doesnt seem to be there.

I don't have a link to the story but there was a seperate thread on the topic here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement