Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of topsoil

Options
  • 01-05-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

Need some topsoil.
    Rang an ad in the Galway advertiser.
    Quoted me €220 for 18 ton load. Said it was screened so no rocks and rubble hopefully.
    Is this a good price?:confused:
    On one hand I'm thinking, that's a lot of soil for €220.:)
    On the other hand I'm thinking, thats a lot of money to pay to a builder so he has the privilige of dumping his unwanted waste on me.:(
    Can anyone advise me on what is a fair price around Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No idea on price but a lot of it is rubbish. Never pay until you have had a dig into the heap to check it. Favourite trick is to put the rubbish towards the back of the load & the good stuff in the front then, when they tip, the rubbish is covered by good soil !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I know where there's some, looks good, I imagine most of the price would involve the loading and haulage, so if you know any friendly truck owner, it's probably the best deal you'll get. I think the price you got looks quite good, i could be wrong, but as someone else said, check it out first for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

Definitley check it first, we got an awful pile of '"topsoil" before, infertile soil and full of rocks, plastic and other ****e. But with what little building is going on that shouldn't happen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Need some topsoil.
    Quoted me €220 for 18 ton load. Said it was screened so no rocks and rubble hopefully.
    Juat wondering if you got a load off that guy for €220? was it any good 0 could you pm me and let me know - might get some off the same guy
    Ta
    MC:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I just got quoted €12/tonne in Kildare. So 220 for 18 tonnes seems pretty standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

Just quoted E150 for two tonnes delivered from an ad in evening herald.
    Could you give details of the of the place in Kildare for e12 a tonne.

Lon.C wrote: »
    Just quoted E150 for two tonnes delivered from an ad in evening herald.
    Could you give details of the of the place in Kildare for e12 a tonne.

Was this guy He charges €85 delivery to Maynooth. But if you have the means you can collect from him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

@ Free Speech ..........
    Was that fella from the advertiser based in Tuam ? Just called a fella myself and he quoted me €280 for 20 tonne cause I'm a nice distance away from him, normally would do it for €250. He said "it's the finest, I supply landscapers all the time".

Would be interested to hear if you got soil off him and was it of decent (finest) quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I do not know this supplier so I would not comment on the quality of the soil.

A supplier is hardly likely to say that it's full of rocks !
    Some of the worst topsoil that I have ever seen was put down by "reputable" landscapers.

Get a look & feel of it. Make sure that the stuff that's delivered is the same soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

out of interest whats the coverage for top soil?
    just thinking that i may need to redo my garden and trying to work out how much topsoil id need at a 3 inch depth

• Advertisement

What area do you need to cover? 1 tonne will give you about 1 cubic metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Need some topsoil.
    On one hand I'm thinking, that's a lot of soil for €220.:)
    On the other hand I'm thinking, thats a lot of money to pay to a builder so he has the privilige of dumping his unwanted waste on me.:(

Hi there, I got 20 tons from a guy in oranmore he was quoting 3 different prices

1. as dug from ground €200 for 20 ton load
    2. screened down to 3" stone i.e. might be stones less than 3" €250 for 20 ton load
    3. Completely cleaned i.e. no stones €300 for 20 ton load

I went for the 3rd option and it was v good stuff - he did it for €260 cash if you want his no. let me know

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

hi just thought I would add this link. It helped me out when working out how much tonnage I needed ....

http://www.guzmansgreenhouse.com/topsoil-sod-calculate.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christy grendon

have a look at gumtree.com go into freebies and you should get it there for free .what ever you do dont pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonnygalway

mchammer wrote: »
    Hi there, I got 20 tons from a guy in oranmore he was quoting 3 different prices

1. as dug from ground €200 for 20 ton load
    2. screened down to 3" stone i.e. might be stones less than 3" €250 for 20 ton load
    3. Completely cleaned i.e. no stones €300 for 20 ton load

I went for the 3rd option and it was v good stuff - he did it for €260 cash if you want his no. let me know

Cheers

Hi there, any chance you could send me the contact details for the guy who you got the topsoil from in Oranmore?
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Hi there, any chance you could send me the contact details for the guy who you got the topsoil from in Oranmore?
    Thanks a million

The thread is 9 years old. Might be better off starting a new thread looking for recommendations.

Advertisement