Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well I did it!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Don01.jpg

Say hello to Don, 6 year old, 17hh [give or take] ISH.

:D

Mine as of today ;) (well next Tuesday when the bank opens again!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

CONGRATS hope you have lots of fun for many years. I to got my first horse in march and we are having a great time,well i am anyway not sure rosie would agree haha. And 17hh plus wow big boy good luck mounting him from the ground lol.. Best of luck:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Ah bless. What is he like to ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

lester76 wrote: »
    CONGRATS hope you have lots of fun for many years. I to got my first horse in march and we are having a great time,well i am anyway not sure rosie would agree haha. And 17hh plus wow big boy good luck mounting him from the ground lol.. Best of luck:):)

Thanks! 17hh isn't a bother, I'm grand and tall ;)
    Ah bless. What is he like to ride?

he's very nice, obviously a lot livelier than a riding school horse (which I was expecting anyways!) he got a small bit out of hand when we cantered, but there were two huge pigeons diving bombing us, which spooked him a bit, and off course I wasn't giving him 100% correct aids, I'm used to a school horse hopping into canter when they hear the instructor say "leading file ..."

Very light floaty trot, the saddle he had one was a bit too small for my fat arse, so it was slightly off putting, but I was able to get a general feel for him. He responds to the leg very well, and isn't "mouthy" about hand aids. He stood nice and quiet when I asked him to halt (unlike the mare I used to have, who would fidget all over the place), and it'll just take some time to get used to each other. I forget it's been less than a year since started riding regularly again (after a 4 year break)!

Bit of a win win situation given he was already at the yard where I ride, and I'll be keeping him there, and there'll always be someone around to help out if I have a problem when I'm riding, plus they go to shows most weekends, and they can take himself and I might end up with a few rosettes (even if I'm too chicken to ride!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Best of luck with him and many happy years of riding/competing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

good for you, many happy years to you both. As to the 17hh , at least there's lots in front of you, when you do get aboard.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Well done for taking the plunge. As i say there's never a right time to have a baby, buy a house or get a horse!!!!!
    Go for it and I hope he brings you many many years of happiness.
    Good luck
    xx

Thanks! I'm trying to restrain myself from buying everything I see online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

YAY! Congrats, Don looks lovely :D (I'm v. jealous!)

...and he's already settled into the yard so no bother there!

yup, and there's plenty of people around to help out if I'm having a problem when riding him ...

I've googled and his dad's a Selle Francais ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

He's lovely, congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

Congrats! Best of luck with him, he's a beauty! A BIG beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Best of luck with him

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Wow! Looks lovely - more pics! ...
    Lucky you! I'm jealous now because I haven't really ridden in over 3 years, and I have to wait another 6 months at least until the foal is weaned to get another try at sitting on Ruby! Can't wait though! Might get to ride my friend's horse in the mean time.
    Best of luck with Don!

Thanks everyone!

I went and had a proper ride on him today, used a different saddle (that was more suitable for my fat arse), which helped enormously, just did walking and trotting, transitions, circles figure 8's, serpentines. It was very warm in the school this afternoon, so he started to get sweaty after 20 minutes. I also had a go and leading him around for a bit since some horses can get funny about being lead around, but he was grand about it.

I'm going to take things slowly till we get used to each other and his former owner can still take him to shows :D

Advertisement