Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white wine vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar in pizza dough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

from that recipe I would drop: butter, garlic, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.

If you don't care about what I would drop I suppose it's just a matter of taste, you can use white vinegar as well, I think that balsamic vinegar is stronger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

ok cheers thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Erm, the vinegar doesn't go into the dough, it goes into the tomato sauce.
    And you could use white wine vinegar there, but red wine vinegar would be better.
    Balsamic would be best though - just don't use the fake stuff (no real balsamic vinegar has caramel (E71) in the ingredients list).

That's a lousy recipe for a pizza btw, it needs to rise for longer in the fridge to develop the crust's flavour. And I don't mean 30 minutes, I mean overnight. And the oven doesn't need to go to 230, it needs to go all the way to as hot as your oven can get (and even then, it won't really be hot enough) and you should cook it on a stone or on an upturned cast iron frying pan or something that'll suck up heat and then dump it into the underside of the pizza. Anything more than ten minutes cooking and you're doing it wrong, really.

(And yes, there's a good eats about this :D )

Yeah as I read through the recipie I realised that. I used a different recipie for the dough after all:

http://tast.ie/tag/dough/

She is still rising.

And for the sauce:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-basic-tomato-pizza-sauce

She's made and cooling now.

Have a look at my mozzarella thread, if you don't mind.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    That's a lousy recipe for a pizza btw, it needs to rise for longer in the fridge to develop the crust's flavour. And I don't mean 30 minutes, I mean overnight. And the oven doesn't need to go to 230, it needs to go all the way to as hot as your oven can get (and even then, it won't really be hot enough) and you should cook it on a stone or on an upturned cast iron frying pan or something that'll suck up heat and then dump it into the underside of the pizza. Anything more than ten minutes cooking and you're doing it wrong, really.

Well I didn't make it up yet, maybe I will let it sit in the fridge over night. Where can I get a pizza stone by the way?

That's better, but I still prefer mine best :D

2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Cup warm water (not too hot, not too cold)
    2 Cups bread machine bread flour (the highest protein flour you can get - the '00' italian stuff should do fine as well)
    1 tsp yeast
    Coriander (or my new favorite, dried jalapeno flakes)

All that into a mixer, and mix with the dough hook for about a minute to bring it all together, then turn off the mixer and leave it sit for 20 minutes.
    Then knead with the dough hook for 15 minutes (btw, it's best to spray the hook with oil if you have one of those aerosol cans of the stuff, stops the dough climbing up the hook).
    Test the dough at this point, see if you can pull it thin enough to almost see light and shadow through it without it tearing. If you can't knead for another few minutes and test again...
    When you can, turn out onto a floured countertop, work to a doughball, divide into three or four parts, put into zip-top bags with a little olive oil and leave rise in the fridge for several days (I do this on monday for pizza night on friday).
    Take out of fridge, leave for 30 mins to come to room temperature and wake up, then work to a pizza shape.

Get your oven as hot as it gets - turn it to full when you take the dough out of the oven and it should be okay when you're ready to cook. I cook mine on a stone, but I used to use a paving slab which was a lot cheaper (though not as effective for a wet dough like this). Get the pizza in shape on the peel and then paint the top with olive oil and bake for about 3 minutes to set - then add tomato sauce and toppings and bake for another 6-7 minutes.

It's slightly different to the good eats recipe, but I find it works well.

Speaking of good eats :D (you knew it was coming :D)

malman wrote: »
    Well I didn't make it up yet, maybe I will let it sit in the fridge over night.
    Well, if you have to have pizza tonight, just give it an hour or so in the fridge
    Where can I get a pizza stone by the way?
    I got mine in kitchen complements off grafton street but nisbets.ie should have something.
    Get a peel as well if you're going to buy a stone btw...

I'll make it tonight and see what happens but I certainly try again and leave the dough in the fridge for longer. Why do you need to put olive oil in the bag while the dough is being refridgerated?

Stops the surface of the dough from drying out, without actually making the dough soggy like water would.

• Advertisement

I see. Thanks for all the help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sparks wrote: »
    That's a lousy recipe for a pizza btw, it needs to rise for longer in the fridge to develop the crust's flavour. And I don't mean 30 minutes, I mean overnight.

MY first kitchen job was as a KP in an italian place when i was 14, my brothers girlfriend was the sous chef there and got me the job on the weekends . The Pizza chef was from Palermo and used his family recipe, in the kitchen he only rested it for 24 hours because of turn around but she swore blind that it needs atleast 5 days to properly develop, he was obsessive about it to the point where he would get angry and got into loads of fights with the head chef about it.

I asked him if it really mattered so one sunday he told me to put a portion in the back of the frige seprate to the rest and whe i came in for staff dinner (an hour before my shift started) on the following friday he would use it to make a pizza for me.

It was amazing, his pizzas were always great but this was insanely good, never had a dough that tasted as good before or since.

Yeah, its basicly become a sort-of-sourdough pizza by that point. You just can't rush it really, not if you want really good crust.

Advertisement