Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trusurround & DTS?

• 01-05-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was going to purchase a WDTV for use with my plasma for watching high def video. I've read that the WDTV doesn't decode DTS, but uses AC3 audio format. My question is, if my plasma uses a Trusurround processor, does this mean that the screen will decode the DTS for me, using a seperate optical audio cable (rather than carrying the signal on the hdmi)?

I'm hoping I don't need to purchase a seperate DTS decoder, or manually convert my videos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Kernel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Was going to purchase a WDTV for use with my plasma for watching high def video. I've read that the WDTV doesn't decode DTS, but uses AC3 audio format. My question is, if my plasma uses a Trusurround processor, does this mean that the screen will decode the DTS for me, using a seperate optical audio cable (rather than carrying the signal on the hdmi)?

I'm hoping I don't need to purchase a separate DTS decoder, or manually convert my videos.
    DTS is not usually a sound format any tv set can properly decode.
    Your source or amp need to do this for you.
    Decode time until DTS is added to its firmware support. Or just use the stereo track on your VOB file.

>Sol
    (BTW truesurround is a Dolby / SRS derivative if I remember right. Also NOT a DTS decoder)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

akaSol wrote: »
    Decode time until DTS is added to its firmware support. Or just use the stereo track on your VOB file.

Thanks Sol, maybe someday I'll get the soundbar to do this! :-) Doubt that WD will release a firmware update to support DTS, think it's a hardware problem. As a method of thanking you, I give you this:

So what's the cheapest option for external DTS decoding & downmixing to stereo to my TV? Or will I have to buy a surround sound system and put speakers all over my room? :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Kernel wrote: »
    So what's the cheapest option for external DTS decoding & downmixing to stereo to my TV? Or will I have to buy a surround sound system and put speakers all over my room? :-(

plug the red/white RCA cables (or scart) from the back of the player into the tv?

nereid wrote: »
    plug the red/white RCA cables (or scart) from the back of the player into the tv?

Can't do it mate, the WD TV doesn't support DTS downmixing to stereo, it will pass the signal through an optical, so I'll need to use an optical cable to pass it through to a DTS decoder and onwards to my TV. What's the cheapest option here chaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had an external PS2 DD/DTS decoder that I used for a number of years. There should be a couple of products like that still on the market. Mine was from a company called Jazz Speakers.

Google "external DTS decoder" for examples.

Advertisement