Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC vs eircom

Options
  • 01-05-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

im thinking on switching over too upc from broadband/ bill in eircom is averaging about 200 euro. 6 people in house.

everyone knows upc are better, no dl limits on the 10 mb. tv, freetime phone

BUT...

theres something bugging me. where id save money on the broadband, id be raking it up on the phone since most the calls are mobiles. sure, their rates are cheaper than eircoms.

but look at the picture.

it says on the very right column, Call Set up Charge*/Min Call Charge 5.92*

wtf?!

does that mean each time i make a call, id get charged that 5.92 on top of the charges? even if it was only like a 1 second call?

upc broadband for the win, but am i missing something on the phone?

is it really too good too be true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Go with UPC asnd change Your phone from Eircom to Blueface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

thats not what i want, nor what i asked?

is the mimimum call charge correct? does your call autmomatically start at that price>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Yes every call will cost a minimum of 5.92c. Thats why the previous poster mentioned blueface, same product just cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

squared wrote: »
    Yes every call will cost a minimum of 5.92c. Thats why the previous poster mentioned blueface, same product just cheaper!

It's not the same but similar and far cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Don't eircom have the exact same call setup charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Kensington wrote: »
    Don't eircom have the exact same call setup charge?
    6.35c on eircom

uhm, im pretty sure were not getting charged anything like that!

like theres no minimum call charge for me. unless it s hidden somewhere.

anybody any ideas?thknas for the help so far btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Quick look on eircom's site reveals that they charge a call set up fee of 5.98c.

See attached doc as source.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

OVERTONE69 wrote: »
    uhm, im pretty sure were not getting charged anything like that!

like theres no minimum call charge for me. unless it s hidden somewhere.

anybody any ideas?thknas for the help so far btw

How many of the mobiles you call are Meteor? eircom offer free calls to Meteor. Until recently eircom gave unlimited free calls to Meteor - if you signed up to this deal you should be still getting unlimited, even though the current deal has a cap on the number of free Meteor minutes (200mins). Calls to landlines are usually already free in your bundle, so this could account for why you are not seeing setup fees.

I found that the biggest item on the telephone bill was calls to mobiles, and the eircom-Meteor free calls made a huge difference. The majority of people under 30 seem to use Meteor, so if that's the agegroup you are sharing with, it is possible that you are saving a lot on calls to Meteor?

im a hujndred percent sure. i honestly cannot find anything off about it. where on your bill are the minimum charges provided? are they added on each call? or is there a total somewherE?

help me please! im starting to think im stealing eircom lol

• Advertisement

found the little boger, it is added on too all my calls. so i guess upc is the way too go, since ive already been paying for the service charges without noticing. 10mb broadband sounds nice i must say.

mobile charges for metor are less on upc but more for vodafone and 02. i call more meteors than everything though.

mobile charges for meteor are less on upc but more for vodafone and 02. i call more meteors than everything though.

I don't understand this? eircom has free calls to Meteor - how can UPC be cheaper? (unless you have signed up since unlimited free deal and you go over 400mins per bill). If most of your calls are to Meteor, then you are probably better off staying with eircom.

my calls arent free. calls too meteor are like 25cent a minute for me. vodafone and 02 ar 19. upc are 23c for all.

my calls arent free. calls too meteor are like 25cent a minute for me. vodafone and 02 ar 19. upc are 23c for all.
    Then you should upgrade to current eircom offers, which at least give 400 free mins to Meteor per bill. It's a pity you didnt sign up earlier - you would have got all your calls to Meteor free. Check your bill and see if you go over 400 mins per month to Meteor. You can get free calls evening/weekend(no extra charge) or all day(€5 extra).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

bugfreebob wrote: »
    I don't understand this? eircom has free calls to Meteor - how can UPC be cheaper? (unless you have signed up since unlimited free deal and you go over 400mins per bill). If most of your calls are to Meteor, then you are probably better off staying with eircom.

UPC charge the same for all mobile networks, so Meteor/Vodafone/O2/3 all cost the same.

Fairly sure they do anyway.

Edit: Quick check on the UPC website confirms.

Destination_______Day______Evening______Weekend______Min Call Charge
    Mobile_____________23.09_______15.80__________11.55__________5.92

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

That and their broadband is far superior. Not to mention the convenience of having your tv, telephone and broadband all in one bill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

re mobile phone calls O2 do a deal where 20e a month gets you free calls to O2 numbers and either free texts to O2 or free phone calls to landlines

the other providers do similar deals

calling mobiles is only expensive if done from another network

npope. barely over a hundred. lol. wasnt aware of that deal,, checked it out, upc still seems better :(

was thinking on buying a wireless n router. but whats the difference between a modem and router. i think the one i have now is a 2 in 1. are most of them 2 in 1?

thanks everyone for the help so far.

edit**** http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363

this one looks awesome!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

was thinking on buying a wireless n router. but whats the difference between a modem and router. i think the one i have now is a 2 in 1. are most of them 2 in 1?

If you are getting UPC, then get a router, not a modem, as UPC will supply their own modem and you are only allowed to use that.

If you get a router, then you can connect the router to UPC's modem. A ADSL modem/router can also be used a a router with cable, but usually it is harder to set up and you lose the use of a network port.

The komplett link is a modem, the ADSL2+ part of it would be useless to you, as cable doesn't use ADSL.

Also if you don't already have a wireless G router, then I'd recommend getting a dual band, dual radio wireless N router.

The dual radio being the important part, must of the cheaper ones don't have this.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Because the UPC modem connects to the UPC network and takes all it's information from it, as in what speed it's capable of etc, it gets it's bootfile from them.

Also, the UPC modem is an MTA, which means you're main phone point is in the modem itself.

i see. thts a pretty good idea!

i wasnt even aware you could steal broadband. let alone they could stop you lol.

so last question, where exactly should i be shopping for a router that will work with upc.

much preferably a wireless draft n one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Go with UPC asnd change Your phone from Eircom to Blueface
    ref your post.
    I the freedom world package from them..
    it says the calls are "unlimited"
    Can you clear me up on something..
    Does that mean unlimited calls to irish mobiles too?
    also can you keep your existing number with them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just look for ones that are called wireless broadband routers, rather then wireless ADSL/2+ routers. Anything with ADSL in the specs avoid.

There are plenty listed on komplete here:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10282

Komplette's site here is badly designed, they are mixing both ADSL and broadband routers in the same page.

Remember the dual band, dual radio N ones are better, then just ordinary N routers.

Advertisement