Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changes at the Sporting Emporium Card Room

• 01-05-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

After listening to players and taking on board their comments, I’m pleased to announce that changes are being made at the Sporting Emporium Card room. These changes include a new Tournament Schedule starting on Saturday 16th May which features improved structures and guaranteed prize pools along with some other ideas that will be introduced in the coming weeks.

The Monthly Deepstack tournament makes a return, this time on the first Sunday of the Month with an early start of 4pm.The first Deepstack tournament will take place on Sunday 7th June.

The Bad Beat Jackpot will be frozen as of the close of Friday 15th May. After this no more money will be taken from the Cash Games and the next winning Jackpot will be a 100% pay out.

The New Saturday night Tournament will commence on the 16th May and will run every week except on 6th June where we will be featuring a special tournament in association with Crosscare.

The new Tournament Schedule which starts on Saturday 16th May is as follows and I look forward to seeing you in the Club over the next few weeks.

Alex

Please note that all Tournaments are “No Limit” Texas Hold’em unless otherwise stated.

Mondays €60 + €5 Double Chance Freezeout. Starting Stack : 3,500 + 3,500. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Tuesdays Satellite and Promotions Night. Please check the website or speak to a member of staff for details.

Wednesdays €60 + €10 + €5 Scalp Tournament. Starting Stack : 7,000. Clock 20/30 minutes. Players will receive a €10 bounty for every opponent they knock out of the Tournament.

Thursdays €50 + €5 Double Chance Freezeout. €1,500 Guaranteed Prizepool. Starting Stack : 3,000 + 3,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes. Players will receive half their chips at the start of play and may call for their remaining chips at any time in the first 80 minutes. The 2nd Thursday of the Month : €100 + €10 Double Chance Freezeout. Starting Stack : 4,000 + 4,000. Clock : 25 minutes.

Fridays €40 + €5. 1 x €40 Rebuy or Top-up. Starting Stack : 3,500. Rebuy/Top-up : 4,500. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Saturdays €70 + €5 Freezeout. Starting Stack : 8,000. The Clock will increase by 2.5 minutes every level starting with 10 minutes.

Sundays 7.30pm Start €50 + €5 Freezeout. €1,500 Guaranteed Prize pool. Starting Stack : 6 ,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

The First Sunday of the Month 4pm Start €120 + €10 Deep Stack Tournament. Starting Stack : 10,000. 20/30 min clock

An Early Bird Chip of 1,000 points will be given to every player that is in their seat for the start of play of every Tournament
    Please note All Tournaments start at 8.30pm Sharp unless otherwise stated. Any queries please contact the Card Room on 01-7030679 or check our website www.thesportingemporium.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭copperfacegaz

increased chip stacks and guarantees ,, looks good alex ,, glad to see efforts are being made and they are finally listening to you , ill be there as always !! ( also fair play to kevin for getting for the ball rollin on this !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

That is one solid looking tourney structure,

fair play Alex

Kev too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭dacman

The saturday event is an interesting format. All tourneys look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

S.Emporium wrote: »
    After listening to players and taking on board their comments, I’m pleased to announce that changes are being made at the Sporting Emporium Card room. These changes include a new Tournament Schedule starting on Saturday 16th May which features improved structures and guaranteed prize pools along with some other ideas that will be introduced in the coming weeks.

The Monthly Deepstack tournament makes a return, this time on the first Sunday of the Month with an early start of 4pm.The first Deepstack tournament will take place on Sunday 7th June.

The Bad Beat Jackpot will be frozen as of the close of Friday 15th May. After this no more money will be taken from the Cash Games and the next winning Jackpot will be a 100% pay out.

The New Saturday night Tournament will commence on the 16th May and will run every week except on 6th June where we will be featuring a special tournament in association with Crosscare.

The new Tournament Schedule which starts on Saturday 16th May is as follows and I look forward to seeing you in the Club over the next few weeks.

Alex

Please note that all Tournaments are “No Limit” Texas Hold’em unless otherwise stated.

Mondays €60 + €5 Double Chance Freezeout. Starting Stack : 3,500 + 3,500. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Tuesdays Satellite and Promotions Night. Please check the website or speak to a member of staff for details.

Wednesdays €60 + €10 + €5 Scalp Tournament. Starting Stack : 7,000. Clock 20/30 minutes. Players will receive a €10 bounty for every opponent they knock out of the Tournament.

Thursdays €50 + €5 Double Chance Freezeout. €1,500 Guaranteed Prizepool. Starting Stack : 3,000 + 3,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes. Players will receive half their chips at the start of play and may call for their remaining chips at any time in the first 80 minutes. The 2nd Thursday of the Month : €100 + €10 Double Chance Freezeout. Starting Stack : 4,000 + 4,000. Clock : 25 minutes.

Fridays €40 + €5. 1 x €40 Rebuy or Top-up. Starting Stack : 3,500. Rebuy/Top-up : 4,500. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Saturdays €70 + €5 Freezeout. Starting Stack : 8,000. The Clock will increase by 2.5 minutes every level starting with 10 minutes.

Sundays 7.30pm Start €50 + €5 Freezeout. €1,500 Guaranteed Prize pool. Starting Stack : 6 ,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

The First Sunday of the Month 4pm Start €120 + €10 Deep Stack Tournament. Starting Stack : 10,000. 20/30 min clock

An Early Bird Chip of 1,000 points will be given to every player that is in their seat for the start of play of every Tournament
    Please note All Tournaments start at 8.30pm Sharp unless otherwise stated. Any queries please contact the Card Room on 01-7030679 or check our website www.thesportingemporium.com

Best of luck with the new format, hope it works....

Myles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Pabloh

Much improved. Always been glad to play in the SE and hopefully this will attract more people. Monthly tournament looks great. Good to see the guarantees in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭RockRory

Looks great guys, good job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 VoodooDonkey

Nice looking schedule.
    Affordable buy-ins, decent starting stacks & the clocks you'd expect.
    Shame the guarantees aren't being used to promote nights that need 'em,
    Thursday & Sunday actually already get 3+ tables so that fools no-one.
    Best of luck Alex, I'd love to see this fabulous facility fulfill its potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Looks decent - you might sort that ludicrous door policy too.

Getting stopped in a heatwave for wearing long shorts while a half dozen trollopes stroll up the stairs in greyhound belts was not a nice way to end a Dublin trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Much much better.
    If you guarantee they will come.
    Hopefully the new schedule will see the numbers improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

WP lads , it looks a lot better than it was .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Sorry, but I have to go against the general concensus so far about this new announcement. Whilst it is nice to see the SE offering a guarantee for some tourneys, the two mentioned above are pathetic to say the least.

Both the Thursday and Sunday night tournaments are regularly getting 30+ players and as such a guarantee of €1500 offers no incentive to get players back into the SE.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that offering a €1500 guarantee for a tournament that regularly gets 30+ runners is quite insulting to the members intelligence.

I think that people are getting way too excited about the word 'guarantee' and that the congratulatory back slapping is way too premature.

If the SE are genuine about showing that they actually have an interest in the card room, then a guarantee of €2500 minimum is required for both the Thursday and Sunday tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭hatedajacks

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have to go against the general concensus so far about this new announcement. Whilst it is nice to see the SE offering a guarantee for some tourneys, the two mentioned above are pathetic to say the least.

Both the Thursday and Sunday night tournaments are regularly getting 30+ players and as such a guarantee of €1500 offers no incentive to get players back into the SE.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that offering a €1500 guarantee for a tournament that regularly gets 30+ runners is quite insulting to the members intelligence.

I think that people are getting way too excited about the word 'guarantee' and that the congratulatory back slapping is way too premature.

If the SE are genuine about showing that they actually have an interest in the card room, then a guarantee of €2500 minimum is required for both the Thursday and Sunday tournaments.
    Brian,I totaly disagree. Its a huge start. The increased structure is the main change and getting a couple of guarantees is only the start. I am more than confident that if they suddenly start getting 50 players reguarly which they aint at the moment then a 2000 or 2500 will come just like if they consistantlyget 30+ for the Mon/Tues/Sat tourneys then guarentees will come for those tourneys. There was only 28 players on Thursday gone so expecting them to offer a guarentee for 50 players is just being naive. Its a start and will give confidence to those thinking of travelling in that they are guarenteed 1500 for a 50 euro tournament. You cant please everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Brian,I totaly disagree. Its a huge start. The increased structure is the main change and getting a couple of guarantees is only the start. I am more than confident that if they suddenly start getting 50 players reguarly which they aint at the moment then a 2000 or 2500 will come just like if they consistantlyget 30+ for the Mon/Tues/Sat tourneys then guarentees will come for those tourneys. There was only 28 players on Thursday gone so expecting them to offer a guarentee for 50 players is just being naive. Its a start and will give confidence to those thinking of travelling in that they are guarenteed 1500 for a 50 euro tournament. You cant please everyone!

Would agree with Kevin on this; however if the numbers start to increase then so should the guarantees to try get back to the numbers of a few years ago.

If these 2 tourneys keep getting 30+ runners every week and the Sporting don't increase the guarantees in steps then it's no good and most players will see through this.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

This has been a huge step forward, about time that the SE management have started to listen the views of the players :) well done to all involved who have made this happen, both managers and players.

Boom with the structures have to say they look very good and the buyins are very well priced. The added value of a 1000 early bird chip is excellent.

I can understand your sentiments Brian with regards the gurantees, but to go from absolutely nothing to something is without doubt a step in the right direction, will a gradual increase in numbers i can see the guarantees increased and hopefully spread to other nights, steeping stones and all that.

Maybe one or two other little things that might have been mentioned or not, with PJ being up on the poker floor he should definately have access to the SE boards account so that changes can be made and updates done more promptly, also i think it would be a good idea to add the website link of the SE to their signature and maybe a little banner pic so that its easy for people to check out the site without having to dig through thread after thread for a quick look at what is going on.

Totally agree with Kevin here. The last couple of Thursday and Sunday's that i have played in have all been below 30 runners. I am sure there have been some with more but not the ones ive played in.

All in all i think the structures are a major step towards improving the experience for players. Low buy in's with decent clocks and stacks are what most players are looking for in there (with some exceptions of course). They have provided that with this schedule i think.

They have for once listen to the concerns of there customers and consulted with them in relation to improving there experience within the SE. Maybe they took a crash course in customer relations, who knows, but its a good start.

Remember “It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree Kev - The Thursday and Sunday touney has been getting 3+ tables any time I have been in there for the last two years. I obviously haven't played there every single Thursday and Sunday but realistically, the SE are only guaranteing a couple of hundred quid max for each of these tourneys as the numbers are already there.

Expecting them to offer a guarantee for 50 is not naive, it is a way (along with a sustained marketing push) of making sure that there is indeed 50 regular players there each and every Thursday and Sunday.

I hav always stated that I hope the numbers get back to the heights they were once at but I genuinely feel that the SE are koping out on the guarantee's with this new announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

I am with Lao Lao on this one. Sorry but if the SE wants to put up a guarantee then dont do it on tournys that carry very little risk for the SE. Guarantee the Friday tourny imo.

Overall yup to the improved structures, boo to the attempted (non risk for the SE) guarantees. Not enough done.. Oh and give the poker room manager more power to over rule downstairs when they want to close the card room.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

RockRory wrote: »
    Remember “It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.”

Well said Rory, completely agree.

Fair play to the SE for implementing what is hopefully the first step in the right direction...no doubt if numbers start to increase they will increase the amount of guarantees. Good luck with it.

WP Kev also.

SWAR wrote: »
    Well said Rory, completely agree.

Fair play to the SE for implementing what is hopefully the first step in the right direction...no doubt if numbers start to increase they will increase the amount of guarantees. Good luck with it.

WP Kev also.

Yes it's a start, ffs what do you want kevin to do part the red sea.. and another thing this is kevs time hes not getting paid.
    I don't see too many putting their hands up to do it... Well done kev and all the lads in SE who are pushing in there.

Great venue hard to see it go down the tubes.

I heard hes getting rakeback and sign up bonuses Myles :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭babymaker6

like the look of the new schedule much better buy ins
    I know the guarantees are not great but its a move in the right direction
    think they should consider starting a tournament league possibly taking money from the reg rather than prize pools and maybe adding something to the play off final ,numbers will definitely be up when players have something to chase
    fair play to Kev and anybody who s making an effort to get thing s going again in what is wiyhout doubt the best poker venue i have played in
    looking forward to playing monday s game already
    gl to all involved
    Fergus

I heard hes getting rakeback and sign up bonuses Myles :p

Now! Now! Danny no need for that, I think kevs on at least 2 months probation before his commission kicks in although his VHI has been sorted!!! Just in case he gets sick of people discussing this :)

Seriously though, I heard there was a couple of scouts in from the TEEU and NBRU keeping an eye on kevs negotiation skills, apparently there a bit stuck on the National Pay Agreement at the mo!!!!! :)

As JFK said
    "ask not what your poker room can do for you......

Nice 1 Kev and all the lads/ladies(and Alex) in the SE....

Myles

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Breifne

As a very in-frequent visitor to the SE (usually only play Sunday's as its at a good time), i think this is a huge step forward for the club. I would be now interested in playing any of these tournaments, as the changes to the buy ins and the structures are really encouraging to the average player.

The last sunday i was in was less than 30 players, and i don't think you can criticise any business for not wanting to gamble money in this day and age. guaranteeing 30 runners will ensure a stable crowd at this tournies and i'm sure once they are back up and running with regular 4/5 tables each night they run, the powers that be will see the benefit of the guarantees and spread them out across the week.

Don't think its fair to criticise the SE on this one, alright they might not have solved every problem given on this site a few short weeks ago, but to see a swift response to the correct criticism on here, which addresses a lot of the problems that each of you brought up is commendable.

It certainly pays to listen to the customer, and its great to see that the SE have done this, it remains to be seen whether its a once off, but if they continue to take advice from interested punters i think the SE might make a resurgent come back. It is the nicest venue in the capital to play in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭afex

what t,ney is on 2nite ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

Breifne wrote: »
    i don't think you can criticise any business for not wanting to gamble money in this day and age.

Ahem .....
    What business is the Emporium in again? ;)

I heard Thursday night game got some decent numbers. Nice to see. 4 tables I think..

Jayminator wrote: »
    I heard Thursday night game got some decent numbers. Nice to see. 4 tables I think..

If this was the case........then this is great.........considering the number of regular SE players I saw out at the Red Cow hotel playing the JP Master satellite on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Is there a tourney on tonight (Monday)? Or is there something else on? I seen mention of someone with a ticket for a thing on in the SE tonight, so wondering if the regular tourney is cancelled or replaced by something better?

I think the steps taken by the SE here are indeed smaller than they could have been but in all said and done, it's a great result for those that prefer to play there. At one point it was clear to the average poker player in there that the management didn't care about the poker floor at all, and now, well I think they have demonstrated that they're not prepared to give up on the poker floor just yet.

I'd imagine as numbers build, and things get back to how they used to be, guarantees will also increase and who knows maybe even the odd gesture from management, ie. adding to the prizepool every now and then. I guess it's just up to players to show their support and voice their opinions like Kevin did. Hope it takes off again, it was the first place in Ireland I ever played poker in and some time later, I've yet to find anywhere on home soil to beat it!

Is there a tourney on tonight (Monday)? Or is there something else on? I seen mention of someone with a ticket for a thing on in the SE tonight, so wondering if the regular tourney is cancelled or replaced by something better?

As far as I remember the SE schedule is unchanged except for the event on Saturday 16th May Bluff Europe Poker Academy lecture etc. starting at 1 o'clock - see the thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533282

• Advertisement

I think the steps taken by the SE here are indeed smaller than they could have been but in all said and done, it's a great result for those that prefer to play there. At one point it was clear to the average poker player in there that the management didn't care about the poker floor at all, and now, well I think they have demonstrated that they're not prepared to give up on the poker floor just yet.

I'd imagine as numbers build, and things get back to how they used to be, guarantees will also increase and who knows maybe even the odd gesture from management, ie. adding to the prizepool every now and then. I guess it's just up to players to show their support and voice their opinions like Kevin did. Hope it takes off again, it was the first place in Ireland I ever played poker in and some time later, I've yet to find anywhere on home soil to beat it!
    Hi Cat,The tourney tonight starts at 10 instead of 9 as there is a Black jack tourney on until 9.30 ish. I wouldnt expect numbers tonight to be honest but the new schedule etc starts this Saturday so here's hoping

Hi Kev.
    How did you finish last night....

Hi Myles,I managed to win it outright last night. No digs about the SE looking after me now thankyou very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Hi Myles,I managed to win it outright last night. No digs about the SE looking after me now thankyou very much!

I'm sure that wouldn't have even crossed anyone's minds :rolleyes:

wp, gg

who got 2nd and 3rd... next time might get a little better run and give you something to think about!!!

Myles

Jane went out 4th,Christy 3rd and i beat paul(seat 4) heads up. You ran pretty bad near the end,Unlucky!

• Advertisement

well done Kev. How many runners?

Jane went out 4th,Christy 3rd and i beat paul(seat 4) heads up. You ran pretty bad near the end,Unlucky!

Nice 1 congrats....

Looking forward to playing the new sunday game tomorrow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭babymaker6

RockRory wrote: »
    Looking forward to playing the new sunday game tomorrow ;)

gonna try and make this anyone else playing?

I will be there. 7,000 chips for a 50 euro tourney is some value

• Advertisement

babymaker6 wrote: »
    gonna try and make this anyone else playing?

Yes im in see you later so :D

Yes im in see you later so :D

Ahh Danny Boy.... Havent seen you since the JP masters result... Well overdue a decent cash... Well done ;)

played the game last night. 28 runners. Great structure with lots of play. 9k stack for 75 was excellent. Lost to Kayroo heads up but redeemed myself in the cash. Nice touch was meal vouchers for everyone on the final table to include starter, main course and dessert.

Pabloh wrote: »
    played the game last night. 28 runners. Great structure with lots of play. 9k stack for 75 was excellent. Lost to Kayroo heads up but redeemed myself in the cash. Nice touch was meal vouchers for everyone on the final table to include starter, main course and dessert.

Nice touch regarding the grub lads. As I is on da holliers for few days I might drop in tonight.. WP Paul & Keith on the result last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

I'll play this too, should be good craic

Yeah the food vouchers were pretty sweet. Good game Paul, always a pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

WP.

More little considerations like this (that don't really costy all that much) will see the players returning to the SE in droves.

There's a bit of a positive vibe about the SE just lately & hope it filters through in tourney numbers. I, like many others, think the SE is the best cardroom to play poker in Dublin and it looks like its returning back where it should be.

Fully planned to play the enhanced €50 DC tonight but something came up so will pop in someday next week (prob Thur).

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭S.Emporium

37 runners for tonight's €50 Freezeout.

The extra 1,000 starting chips plus 500 more for the early bird seem to have gone down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭tensevensuited

nice new structures alex.hopefully tings start 2 pick up again in there,best of luck 2 u all.hope 2 b in soon.keith o brien......p.s.if i come in next week will the poker room b open r will it b closed 4 a private function 2celebrate shane lowry winning the irish open...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

GG as always guys.... excellent game and food was better than normal with the spring rolls and samosas..

Only complaint was that even with the extra chips in play and the 1 k early bird I still didn't have enough chips to make the final table ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement