Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No USB Connection LG Viewty... Grrr Carphone Warehouse

• 01-05-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

After a loooooooot of arguing with Carphone Warehouse over a broken phone they had sold me, went to the small claims court etc, i finally got a credit note off them and went in to buy a new phone today... I bought the LG Viewty and got home only to realise there was no stylus or USB connection or Software CD. I sorted out the stylus and ordered one off e-bay. When I rang up the main office in Dublin, I was told that I probably have to go back to the shop and see if I can buy a new CD and USB connection.

This is ridiculous!! The phone is useless without the connection! I HATE CARPHONE WAREHOUSE!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know if the phone was supposed to come with the equipment or if I can get one anywhere??

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No idea about the viewty but I imagine some phones might not come with those as standard. I assume you can download the software. What is the usb connection like on the viewty? Is it a standard mini connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Mini/Micro USB arent they? Fairly common nowadays,think the DS uses the same connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

afaik you are meant to get the stylus and the usb cable. Not sure if it usually comes with the cd, downloading is now the way, to get the latest update.

I would go back to the store, or try their customer care number: 1850 943 800

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

I got a viewty last year. The stylus is attached by a string to the phone. It is not obvious what it is. Check in the box. The USB cable should have been in the box too.

Did you open the box yourself or was it already open? Maybe they "forgot" to give them to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The phone is useless without the connection!

yep, i hate getting a phone and finding it wont make calls, send texts, take pics, go online, send stuff via bluetooth and lots of other things without a damn usb cable.

pretty darn useless allright. may as well use it as a paperweight. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

If you got the phone on meteor, it no longer comes with a stylus or data cable. When it was more expensive all accessories were included in the box. It is a bit strange when its main selling points of touchscreen and decent camera are not supported out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

yep, i hate getting a phone and finding it wont make calls, send texts, take pics, go online, send stuff via bluetooth and lots of other things without a damn usb cable.

pretty darn useless allright. may as well use it as a paperweight. :rolleyes:

There's no need for a post like that. The whole point of getting a phone like that instead of the cheapest most basic one you can find is to make use of it's features.

As regards the original question I got an LG Renoir and it came with all that. Would really expect the Viewty to too as they are very similar phones used largely for the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭shimbob

Hi I got my lg viewty a few months ago on meteor when it cost €200 in 3Gmobile and I got the stylus and usb cable in the box so I think you should of got them, here is the carphone warehouse free phone number (18004248000) hope this helps you out. :) also got the lg viewty pc suite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

LG have cut back on the contents of the viewty pack as of approx a week ago. It just comes with handset and charger now. It aint just CPW OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 anansi

Geez...but i think the problem is not with the carphone warehouse themselves, but the units. Don't you think? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bekki-Baybee

:o Omg the same thing happened to me!

I went carphone warehouse yesterday and got the lg viewty. In my box there wasn't a cd, usb cable, stylus or earphones.
    I had to buy my own cable and earphones at the shop for full price and then today I found out that I need the disc to connect my phone to my laptop..

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

:o Omg the same thing happened to me!

I went carphone warehouse yesterday and got the lg viewty. In my box there wasn't a cd, usb cable, stylus or earphones.
    I had to buy my own cable and earphones at the shop for full price and then today I found out that I need the disc to connect my phone to my laptop..

:(
    Download from here to help you connect it :)
    http://uk.lgmobile.com/web/web.product.manualSoftwareRF.laf

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

yarglags wrote: »
    I got a viewty last year. The stylus is attached by a string to the phone. It is not obvious what it is. Check in the box. The USB cable should have been in the box too.

Did you open the box yourself or was it already open? Maybe they "forgot" to give them to you.
    I emptied out the whole box, bag everything. All that was in it was the phone, battery and charger. This is ridiculous. I'm so fed up of Carphone Warehouse

RodVelvet wrote: »
    If you got the phone on meteor, it no longer comes with a stylus or data cable. When it was more expensive all accessories were included in the box. It is a bit strange when its main selling points of touchscreen and decent camera are not supported out of the box.
    I'm half expecting them to tell me that i was lucky to get a phone cos they're usually extra from the battery or something!

shimbob wrote: »
    Hi I got my lg viewty a few months ago on meteor when it cost €200 in 3Gmobile and I got the stylus and usb cable in the box so I think you should of got them, here is the carphone warehouse free phone number (18004248000) hope this helps you out. :) also got the lg viewty pc suite
    stupid carphone warehouse... been trying to ring them since i got the phone and they wont answer >:(

yarglags wrote: »

i knew what the stylus looked like, wasn't there at all. The box was sealed when I got it and when I rang the shop she told me that they usually have it with the billpay anyway but there was nothing she could do

i knew what the stylus looked like, wasn't there at all. The box was sealed when I got it and when I rang the shop she told me that they usually have it with the billpay anyway but there was nothing she could do

then its hardly their fault if it wasnt inside the box then is it? that must be how they're getting them now. or else the opened it, took it out and resealed it just to annoy you.

yeah. that must be what happened.

theres nothing they can do. the phone isnt faulty. you can return it for another credit note however.

then its hardly their fault if it wasnt inside the box then is it? that must be how they're getting them now. or else the opened it, took it out and resealed it just to annoy you.

yeah. that must be what happened.

theres nothing they can do. the phone isnt faulty. you can return it for another credit note however.
    I'm not thick, like I know they hardly took it out just to p**s me off! I'm just so bloody sick of carphone warehouse selling faulty phones. The last one i got off them didnt work from the day i got it and they denied there was anything wrong with the phone until i had to spend 3 months dragging them through the small claims court and they finally agreed to give me a credit note. If i hadnt needed a phone so badly i woulda told em where to shove their bloody credit note

The last one i got off them didnt work from the day i got it

did you bring it back right away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Firstly, relax. You're going a bit too nuts. It's only a phone.

Secondly, it's nothing to do with CPW. As has already been said, and willfully ignored, LG are no longer supplying the Viewty with headphones, a data cable or a stylus and are selling them separately. Nothing to do with CPW, Meteor, the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. It's a LG decision. Best thing to do is to buy a memory card that comes with a reader, you'll pick that up for less than the price of a data cable, and you'll need a memory card anyway. Stylus isn't really needed for the Viewty, to be perfectly honest. Headphones are the only real necessity, since it's not a standard connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

chrislad wrote: »
    LG are no longer supplying the Viewty with headphones, a data cable or a stylus and are selling them separately

Chris that's not correct. You can still walk into any store an buy a LG viewty fully boxed with all the accesories. It's only the Meteor version that has the accesories removed as far as i'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

I bought one too on Saturday and there was no cable or CD. I bought a cable on Ebay for €0.01, a car charger for €3 and downloaded the software.

The poblem i have is that the software is for the Ku990, not the Ku990i which i have. When i connect the phone to my laptop over bluetooth it appears that the Ku990i is not compatible with the features of the software.

Is there a newer version that will allow connection to the Ku990i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Chris that's not correct. You can still walk into any store an buy a LG viewty fully boxed with all the accesories. It's only the Meteor version that has the accesories removed as far as i'm aware.

its the latest shipment that doesnt have these components. Those shops may have older stock with all of these compnents still in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I got an LG Viewty for my girlfriend in a meteor store and it didn't have the stylus, usb cable or earphones so it's nothing to do with cpw
    I had to buy my own cable and earphones at the shop for full price

Where did you find them? I can't find the earphones anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

You hate them for something that was not even their fault? Don't buy LG phone again if that's the case. All phones are the same no matter what stores you buy them in.
    After a loooooooot of arguing with Carphone Warehouse over a broken phone they had sold me, went to the small claims court etc, i finally got a credit note off them and went in to buy a new phone today... I bought the LG Viewty and got home only to realise there was no stylus or USB connection or Software CD. I sorted out the stylus and ordered one off e-bay. When I rang up the main office in Dublin, I was told that I probably have to go back to the shop and see if I can buy a new CD and USB connection.

This is ridiculous!! The phone is useless without the connection! I HATE CARPHONE WAREHOUSE!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know if the phone was supposed to come with the equipment or if I can get one anywhere??

Thanks for your help

i don't hate the carphone warehouse for nothing. i realise it wasn't their fault that there was no connection but they have a PATHETIC after-sales service! the phone that i did get off them stopped working after about 4 days and when i went back i was told it was a problem with the memory card. I printed off about 10 pages of mobile forum addresses with people with the same problem, and only when i threatened to take them to the small claims court AGAIN did they agree to replace it

yup within 3 days! and they refused to replace it until i brought them to the small claims court... then the replacement one that i got didnt work either so i had to bring that back too!

chrislad wrote: »
    Firstly, relax. You're going a bit too nuts. It's only a phone.

Secondly, it's nothing to do with CPW. As has already been said, and willfully ignored, LG are no longer supplying the Viewty with headphones, a data cable or a stylus and are selling them separately. Nothing to do with CPW, Meteor, the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. It's a LG decision. Best thing to do is to buy a memory card that comes with a reader, you'll pick that up for less than the price of a data cable, and you'll need a memory card anyway. Stylus isn't really needed for the Viewty, to be perfectly honest. Headphones are the only real necessity, since it's not a standard connection.

i know it's only a phone but it was a present from my boyfriend for xmas, and since both of us are leaving cert students were not exactly flush with cash. they staff in the gorey carphone warehouse treat all their customers like absolute ****e. everyone i know that has ever had a problem with a phone has been treated like crap like them

not all cpw's are like the one in gorey.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yea, their usually much worse.....:pac:

Advertisement