Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you break a recurring dream?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I have two recurring dreams, one slightly less disturbing than the other.
    In one, i'm woken by an enormously over-weight, naked man bursting through my bedroom door and jumping into bed with me. I can feel his rolls of fat slapping me as he makes himself at home, but he doesn't try anything funny. He doesn't even speak.

In the other, i've killed someone, and i'm collecting Tesco carrier bags to dispose of the body in.

They both make me feel so nauseated, i'd do anything to stop them.

So has anyone ever stopped a recurring dream? I'm guessing that really, theres' only so much you can do:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

If you can recognise the fact that you're dreaming, you can take control of the situation and change things. I've done it, although it wasn't a recurring dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

With Fat Boy i've known that i'm dreaming a couple of times. I just can't seem to get the hang of doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Part of the problem is that when you realise it's a dream you wake up or stop dreaming that dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

I have two recurring dreams, one slightly less disturbing than the other.
    In one, i'm woken by an enormously over-weight, naked man bursting through my bedroom door and jumping into bed with me. I can feel his rolls of fat slapping me as he makes himself at home, but he doesn't try anything funny. He doesn't even speak.

In the other, i've killed someone, and i'm collecting Tesco carrier bags to dispose of the body in.

They both make me feel so nauseated, i'd do anything to stop them.

So has anyone ever stopped a recurring dream? I'm guessing that really, theres' only so much you can do:(
    Wow they sound kinda nightmarish!
    What might help would be trying to find some explanation for the dream(if there is one). From what you describe it sounds like they each have some kind of 'story' or sequence of movement that you might be able to find parallels with in your awake life, feelings-wise I mean...
    The best time to do this would be soon after the next time the dream happens. Keep a notepad by your bed just in case, and as soon as possible after you wake up take a minute or two to jot down whatever random details are fresh in your mind - colours, sensations, emotions, that sort of thing, also sequence of events if you can recall this.
    I have found that an interpretation will jump out at me sometimes based on one small extra detail that I was able to remember.

Only you can really interpret what your dream is saying. One possibility might be that it is symbolizing something that you don't want in your awake life etc.
    Or maybe it(the fat boy dream) could simply be explained by the environment that you're sleeping in - the bedroom not having proper ventilation or your bed not being comfortable, duvet being too heavy or something.

With a recurring dream I used to have I found that it came at times when certain things were going on in my awake life. I learned to take it as a signpost pointing me in a certain direction that I'd been avoiding and every now and then I needed reminding..

Anyway hope that helps a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Thanks Dreamlogic!
    So far, i've taken on board what you said about keeping a notepad handy. I've not had either dream for a few weeks now, but i'll note the dreams down, and any real life events that happen during the day. I've always wondered if there's perhaps
    certain 'triggers' that prompt these dreams.
    It's worth a try, so thanks again for the advice!:):

• Advertisement
Advertisement