Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a GPS navi with speed limits for Ireland. Any advice please?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I know absolutely ZIP about the features on GPS units in Ireland. I would like to buy one that has speed limits built in for Irish roads and can alert me if I exceed the limit. Are these speed limits and maps updated regularly enough?
    Altitude would be a nice feature too, but the main one is the speed limit warning if I exceed the speed for that road. I recently got 2 points (oops) for marginally drifting above the posted limit without realising so I want a GPS that can help with that.
    There are 100s of units and several main brands (garmin /tomtom etc) so any advice at all would be a huge help.

edited: one more thing, is there any preference between Tom Tom and Garmin? opinions and advice would be very much appreciated, thanks

Thanks alot...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

thinking Garmin 265WT ? anyone have one? does it display speed limit and have overpseed function?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomTom has speed limits that you can edit & set yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Becker sat navs also have a speed limit warning

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

Iv'e just bought a Garmin 765 which has both speed limits and altitude but I haven't tried it out yet. Also I believe that Navteq maps, which are used on the Garmin, has superior mapping for Ireland but again I can't categorically verify this claim.
    HTH

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Navteq maps seem to be better. But as speed limits change so often I would use TomTom for that aspect .

• Advertisement

bought a garmin 205(w) before I read the tomtom recommendations for speed limits... Sure I'll see if its any good anyway. should have it tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

100gSoma wrote: »
    thinking Garmin 265WT ? anyone have one? does it display speed limit and have overpseed function?

It does display the speed limit of the road you're on and from the little use I've had of it it's quite acurate. Not sure what the overspeed function you speak of is, I assume a warning when you break the limit ?

Jip wrote: »
    It does display the speed limit of the road you're on and from the little use I've had of it it's quite acurate. Not sure what the overspeed function you speak of is, I assume a warning when you break the limit ?

Hi Jip, I got the Nuvi 205(w) and while using it was disappointed that only the main roads and motorway were listed speedlimits available. I went home and updated the pre-installed NT 2008 maps to the NT 2010 maps and am delighted as all the minor roads now appear to have posted speed limits too. Definitely worth getting the latest maps for free if you can everyone.
    the only tiny gripe is that it does not beep when I exceed the posted speed limit. that would be cool, and kind of what I wanted. ah well.. :o

Advertisement