Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 Build, please advise :)

Options
  • 01-05-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

Alright lads this will be the first PC I build myself so I'm not sure if theres any glaring compatability issues I'm missing but sure ah well.

So I went with fairly expensive stuff as a worst case scenario type thing and it came out to €1952 including delivery with €2000 being the budget but would love to spend less obviously. I'm just wondering any chance of helping me save a few quid? I'd like to stick with Komplett just in case anything goes wrong it least its in the same country.

I7build.jpg

Any tips for putting it together for the first time more than welcome too lol.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DeCoR18 wrote: »
    Alright lads this will be the first PC I build myself so I'm not sure if theres any glaring compatability issues I'm missing but sure ah well.

So I went with fairly expensive stuff as a worst case scenario type thing and it came out to €1952 including delivery with €2000 being the budget but would love to spend less obviously. I'm just wondering any chance of helping me save a few quid? I'd like to stick with Komplett just in case anything goes wrong it least its in the same country.

Any tips for putting it together for the first time more than welcome too lol.

The stock OEM Intel cooler is okay, but I'd suggest looking for a third party one. Also which version of the P6T deluxe is it, there's a V1 and a V2, with the V1 being slightly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Very similar build to mine. Some issues I found with the P6T:

1. eSATA is very buggy.
    2. Hibernate/Sleep doesn't work well either.

I don't know if the issues are directly related to the P6T, or are a combination of OS-MB problems (I have Vista64 as well), but nevertheless the issues are there. Other than that, the board is perfect.

If you did want to go with an alternative, the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P is reported to perform very similarly to the P6T, speed-and feature-wise. And it's €45 cheaper.

Also, re. what Spear is talking about with the P6T V1/V2 versions, there was a lot of controversy over this a while back as Asus released the V2 very quickly after the V1. The only real difference was that SAS was removed from the V2. Not a big deal as few people use SAS anyway, but there was speculation that there was some other bigger issue with V1's that required a board re-spin to V2. I haven't heard much about it since, and the V1 works fine for me apart from those couple of issues I mentioned at the start, but it was a strange move by Asus all the same.

Also what Spear says about the cooler- I use the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and it's an excellent cooler. <40 degC when idle, and 58degC the max when busy. Komplett are really overcharging for it though at €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just a small tip, nothing that will save money, is that I would go for version 2 of that particular case. It comes with dust filters for the fans! :)

You could save money on the graphics card there, is it necessary to go with the 2 x 4870's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

get a bigger case then the antec 900 if you plan on putting in more hdds cos the x2 is ****ing big..even the stock 4870 is big and also get shorter sata cables, they will help to no end with cable management in that case if you keep it.

fantastic case tho, the cooling in it is amazing but cable management isnt the best. The next step up I think sorts that but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I went with this HSF (on offer there atm, £5 off) and reviews say it's fantastic. Haven't got my rig back together yet.

anything bar the stock HSF will make things a bit tight to work with in the 900 case.

perhaps a single 4890 over the x2 ? I'm sure someone else will be along with the best bag-for-buck gpu at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Very similar build to mine. Some issues I found with the P6T:

1. eSATA is very buggy.
    2. Hibernate/Sleep doesn't work well either.

I don't know if the issues are directly related to the P6T, or are a combination of OS-MB problems (I have Vista64 as well), but nevertheless the issues are there. Other than that, the board is perfect.

If you did want to go with an alternative, the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P is reported to perform very similarly to the P6T, speed-and feature-wise. And it's €45 cheaper.

Also, re. what Spear is talking about with the P6T V1/V2 versions, there was a lot of controversy over this a while back as Asus released the V2 very quickly after the V1. The only real difference was that SAS was removed from the V2. Not a big deal as few people use SAS anyway, but there was speculation that there was some other bigger issue with V1's that required a board re-spin to V2. I haven't heard much about it since, and the V1 works fine for me apart from those couple of issues I mentioned at the start, but it was a strange move by Asus all the same.

Also what Spear says about the cooler- I use the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and it's an excellent cooler. <40 degC when idle, and 58degC the max when busy. Komplett are really overcharging for it though at €100.

My old V1 refused to go into hibernate mode under windows vista X64.
    However it did work under windows 7

Secondly my V1 died after a week of usage.
    My replacement was a V2 board and I haven't had a single issue with it.

Antec 1200 is a better case imo more room in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement