Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you set up a record label?

• 01-05-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey folks, as the heading goes, how do you set up a record label? and everything involved with it. I have looked into it but everything on the net is very U.S based info,

In Ireland, is a record label for a band, the same as a label for a dj/producer.

Think of me as a complete newb and someone thats needs to be told all the steps!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

tell me Entec ... have you used this service and how do you rate it? It looks good. Anyone else used Feiyr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

old gregg wrote: »
    tell me Entec ... have you used this service and how do you rate it? It looks good. Anyone else used Feiyr?

havent used it myself but it looks decent enough, you can get your tracks on the major download sites..beatport , junodownload etc..

worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Entec wrote: »
    havent used it myself but it looks decent enough, you can get your tracks on the major download sites..beatport , junodownload etc..

worth a try

there is no guarantee that the tracks will be accepted by beatport, because the market is so flooded with ****e on beatport they would be most likely looking to cut down on realeases being proposed to them in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Heinlein

Just checked a few discussions on the Internet about Feiyr.com, one important bit was that online shops can drop your tracks easily and pretty quickly if they don't sell, so your effort will be wasted if you don't promote your music by other means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

wouldnt the best marketing tactic in that case be to buy your own release multiple times, say you bought your own realease when its at a price tag of €5 (for simplicity), say you spend 1000 quid on buying your own realease, if you get 40% of your money back aswell through sales generated by yourself, if you id this all in the space of one day it might drive the track up the beatport tracks and thus generate more revenue through the marketing of being in the beatport top 100?

if you do this with your first few releases then then beatport might recognise you as a label which can do good business and thus they will promote your realeases on the main genre page, so you would have to buy less and less of your own record each time as you get more recognised as a label?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SteveDon wrote: »
    wouldnt the best marketing tactic in that case be to buy your own release multiple times, say you bought your own realease when its at a price tag of €5 (for simplicity), say you spend 1000 quid on buying your own realease, if you get 40% of your money back aswell through sales generated by yourself, if you id this all in the space of one day it might drive the track up the beatport tracks and thus generate more revenue through the marketing of being in the beatport top 100?

if you do this with your first few releases then then beatport might recognise you as a label which can do good business and thus they will promote your realeases on the main genre page, so you would have to buy less and less of your own record each time as you get more recognised as a label?
    Yeah but if it's still sh1t after doing all this it doesn't matter how much promotion beatport gives you it won't sell.

Having said that though, it's surprising how much people buy into hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Having said that though, it's surprising how much people buy into hype.

I should call my next record

'BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE'

That would do the biz I reckon :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

it all depends on what you want to do with your label

first of all you'll need to find tunes to release

then you'll need to get them professionally mastered

then you'll need to get them manufactured

then you'll need to organise distribution (the REALLY hard part)

you'll need to weigh up how many you can afford to put out versus how many you're likely to sell

some distribution companies will give you a package and distribution deal where they cover much of the risk in case you fail but cream off most of the profits if you don't

you could also look into getting a limited vinyl press and distributing yourself - a mate off mine has done a few releases like that; no art, no advertising, pure word of mouth and sales through forums etc, 300 copies per release

pressing plants are dropping like flies though...

if you're looking for someone to master your tune to a professional standard for mp3, cd or pre-vinyl release send me a pm and i'll put you in touch with a really good head over in london...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

bear in mind that sales figures are pretty dismal these days for vinyl...

15 years ago even a **** tune would sell 3.000 copies, these days 1000 is exceptional for an underground dance record

Advertisement