Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegatble soup

• 01-05-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

How do i make veg soup? Pu until now i have always made it from cans but i found out it contains gluten .

So how do i make it myself. can i just buy a veg mix and add stock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Bob Z wrote: »
    How do i make veg soup? Pu until now i have always made it from cans but i found out it contains gluten .

So how do i make it myself. can i just buy a veg mix and add stock?

Theres no need for veg stock in a veg soup, don't think i've ever used it.

Depending on quantity you want to make (i usually make a medium pot and put in the fridge for lunch next day.

1/2 head of celery
    3 medium onions
    green of 3 leeks.
    parsley stalks
    bay leaf

Sweat.

3 carrots,
    the rest of the 3 leeks,
    3 large potatoes,

add them, season, sweat a bit more, cold water, boil and keep checking. dont cook the life out of the veg. once its soft, blend. season to taste.
    Don't add stock cubes or bullion or any other false tastes.

Theres nothing but veg and whatever salt you add. safe for every dietary requirement.

You can also buy the veg mix, and use it as a base but add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

The important thing is that you can use any vegetable
    if you dont like a particular vegetable just leave it out of the recipe

Carrots, parsnips, onions, leeks, potato, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower etc can all be used for vegetable soup

The potato is added to help thicken the soup without using flour or other sources of gluten

Onions provide a good base for all soups without giving a strong flavour

Method

Select whichever vegetables you are using

Wash and dice vegetables eg cut onion into small pieces, slice carrots etc

Add some butter or vegetable oil to a large heavy based saucepan

and place saucepan on a low heat

Add onion first and sweat them until they turn golden (dont burn!)

Start to add remaining vegetables and allow all vegetable to sweat for at least 15-20 mins -- this allows the flavour to develop and really improves the soup

Once the vegetables are sweated add water or stock (1-2 pints of water ie enough to cover the vegetables and cook for 30mins to 45 mins depending on the type of vegetable (vegetables should be soft) Rem dont BOIL

To produce a smooth soup

Remove pot from heat and liquidise the mixture using either a hand held liquidiser or pour into jug liquidiser and give the soup a whiz

Season to taste with pepper & salt

and add a small amount of milk or cream to make a smoother soup.

Lastly enjoy....

If you are making more than you can eat in a day, dont add the milk cream untill the last minute of reheating

To keep place in tupperware box etc, cover and place in fridge-it will keep for several days

Alternativly it will freeze well (washed, empty milk cartons are good for freezing soup in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can also make a roasted vegetable soup - recipe here, which IMO is the tastiest way to make veg soup. Like Quartet says, use whatever veg you like, but ones that can be roasted. I like adding butternut squash and shallots to that, for extra sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Or roasted pepper and tomotoe soup.

1 or 2 red pepper - deseeded.
    1kg of tomoatoes
    1 onion.
    3 to 4 cloves of garlic
    Vegtable stock - homemade or stock cube is ok.

Coat all vegtalbes with small amount of oil. Roast in oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Add to large pot with stock. Blend with hand blender, add handfull of chopped fresh basil leaves at last minute. Better than any soup you'll buy in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thanks i will try these

• Advertisement
Advertisement