Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running on empty...

• 01-05-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've coming to the end of a taught masters. I've got 2 exams to go and I've run out of steam.
    I can't get motivated to study - the exams are in 2 weeks.

I managed to get in all my C/A assignments on deadline but now I'm unfocussed and tired.

Is this normal? :( It might help to know I'm not the only one...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In the same boat, minus exams and plus some hefty essays due in two weeks from now. It's just what you gotta do y'know. Your mojo will come back soon enough....mine comes in fits and starts.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

Hang in there OP, and try to remind yourself that it'll all be worth it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

love2swim wrote: »
    I've coming to the end of a taught masters. I've got 2 exams to go and I've run out of steam.
    I can't get motivated to study - the exams are in 2 weeks.

I managed to get in all my C/A assignments on deadline but now I'm unfocussed and tired.

Is this normal? :( It might help to know I'm not the only one...

Finally, some out there that is normal! Coming to the end of anything like this, of course the motivation is gone, of course you're going to be lethargic about doing study and almost apathetic to the subject matter! I'm finishing off my undergrad but I'm in the exact same boat, three exams left and I spent the week on Paddy Power, lost €90 between black jack and poker and still only managed to read one essay I've written for these exams!:eek:

If you want motivation, just think of all the booze, craic that you're going to have at the end! It's not a particularly healthy goal but it's an achievable, tangible goal, none of this esoteric crap!:cool:

Good luck with the study anyway, and remember, if you think you've done nothing and are shít at the subject matter, there are at least a dozen other people who are much worse off so don't panic, do whatever you can and think of the prizes at the end, in order of temporal precedence:
    1. Finishing exams (within the first hour of starting),
    2. Alcohol (5 minutes after the exams),
    3. Night Club of sorts (about 6 to 10 hours after exam),
    4. Meeting a lady/gentleman from night club (about 9 hours after the exam)
    5. A happy ending...
    6. Results from Masters (about 2-3 months after exams)
    7. Having a Masters (from 3 months onwards!)
    :D

Hope this helps, it's pretty much what I'm using to motivate myself at this time!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

Your not alone at all, I just handed in my main research project for my taught masters and have five exams coming up over starting the week after next, been completely and utterly wiped out this week.

That said am so bloody happy that the end is in sight that struggling on for a few weeks doesn't seem so bad, feel like the worst is over now and this is the last push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is worth watching, it'll take your minds of work and help you relax, and it's just really funny! http://watchmissedepisodes.com/tv-shows/watch-the-inbetweeners-online/

Also, better not forget this music, might help as well, it's got nothing to do with work or exams but it's just so soothing!;)

Also this, very soothing as well!:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's a great prize-list... definitely something like that is the way to go. The other thing is to try and set very small tasks study-wise. I'd tell myself I'd do two past questions before going for breakfast roll/lunch. So it was a small achievable goal which had a realistic short-term prize at the end of it. Even tell yourself when you've prepared four questions you'll award yourself a pint on the way home. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's totally normal.

If I had two exams left, and they weren't for two weeks, I would be the same as you.

Just make sure you shake off the procrastination in a few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

El Siglo wrote: »
    This is worth watching, it'll take your minds of work and help you relax, and it's just really funny! http://watchmissedepisodes.com/tv-shows/watch-the-inbetweeners-online/

Also, better not forget this music, might help as well, it's got nothing to do with work or exams but it's just so soothing!;)

Also this, very soothing as well!:D

I'm actually in the same boat. Exams start in 2 days and I've done a pathetic amount compaired to normal years. I'll need some worldclass cramming but I wonder if I'm getting too old for this ****...

Just watched the last two episodes that I missed before reading this thread-some of the best comedy I've seen in years and a major stress reliever.

Advertisement