Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer drought of games starting?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭

has the summer drought of games started already?

seems to me nothing that interesting coming out or am i wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's little kings story on the wii, and, well not much else. It's good for me though since my college funding is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Silent Hill Wii and Dead Rising 2 are looking damn good, but I don't know the release date for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

inFamous is coming out later this month, I'm looking forward to that. It even has access to the Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta ;)

UFC 2009 and Pokemon Platinum are out this month as well, as is EA Sports Active and Bionic Commando. Punch Out Wii will probably do well and the Terminator Salvation game might not suck. So nothing huge I guess, but there's sure to be something worth your time this month.

The beginning of June is huge though, The Sims 3 and Star Ocean 4, wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

UFC Undisputed!
    Fight Night Round 4!
    Dead Rising 2!

Theres 3 games for ya that i think will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Starcraft 2's "Battle Reports" are keeping me happy tbh, probably hold off getting a PC til its out.

So sometime in 2010 then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GothPunk wrote: »
    The beginning of June is huge though, The Sims 3 and Star Ocean 4, wahey!

I've heard Star Ocean 4 isn't great at all from the guys at hardcore gaming 101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

John Giles wrote: »
    has the summer drought of games started already?

my hoop it has

phenomenal amount on the way

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've got a backlog of pc games to play so I'm good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Only game Im looking forward to is Flashpoint 2, possible release date of August, (but it'll probably be December )

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Every year it's the same. You get the doubters pointing at subpar games or unclear release dates. Truth is the industry still hasn't learned. Just look at the blockbuster glut before Christmas. It was the worst overload yet!

This year though I was ready for it and warned some of my less hardcore mates and they're thanking me for the plentiful stash of unpurchased triple A titles they have to get the through the summer.

However, next year some of the publishers will try to compensate for the drought (EA for example - I'd link but I'm on an iPhone) as I think they've finally learned their lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well theres Plants vs Zombies next week which I cant wait for. Prototype and Red Faction: Guerilla out in June, but Arkham Asylum is pushed back to July now by the sounds of it *cries*

And if theres no new games coming out, either trawl the bargain sections for great games you might have missed or try save some money in these harsh economic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still have to play Uncharted 1 and LBP and Siren.

Still have to buy Resi 5, Dead Space.

Thats all for when I have finished Persona 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

The harry potter game will be coming out along side the movie, it is always huge, and sometimes good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah I've got a fairly hefty backlog of fence-sitter games that I'm going to try out. Also some ones I never got around to playing (Fallout 3, MGS4... etc)

The new Wolverine game looks pretty sweet (check out the review on game trailers)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Titles that come to mind that're coming out between now and August:
    -Prototype
    -inFamous
    -Bionic Commando
    -Red Faction
    -Pokémon Platinum
    -Ghostbusters
    -GH:Metallica
    -Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    -Tales of Vesperia (finally)

And that's not counting any PSN/XBLA stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When in doubt look backward. Been playing Zelda and Mutant Apocalypse on the SNES, Tropico 2: Pirates Cove, Perimeter, oh and L4D. New buy.

At any given time there is a ton of old games that you gave a pass when they came out, have never played, and turned out to be great titles.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've heard Star Ocean 4 isn't great at all from the guys at hardcore gaming 101.
    Yeah I've heard that on NeoGAF - apparently the battle system and production values are amazing, but the story/characterisation is muck. So probably not a day one for me, but I'm a Star Ocean fan so I'll get it eventually. Even better if it has Japanese with English subtitles VO so I can avoid the painful voice acting. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

time to work on the backlog and the tan.....bioshock, orange box, GTA DS for me.

Theirs a couple of games getting released in the next few weeks that I want to get:

Virtua tennis 2009
    UFC Undisputed 2009
    Guitar Hero:Metallica

Not to everyone's taste but I'm looking forward to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah I've got a fairly hefty backlog of fence-sitter games that I'm going to try out. Also some ones I never got around to playing (Fallout 3, MGS4... etc)

The new Wolverine game looks pretty sweet (check out the review on game trailers)

Make sure you do plenty of wandering in fallout. It's a great game for that although you do kiss away a small chunk of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

noodler wrote: »
    I still have to play Uncharted 1 and LBP and Siren.

Still have to buy Resi 5, Dead Space.

Thats all for when I have finished Persona 4.

Get dead space. It's now cheap and it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I always like to try out an mmo during the summer, not big into mmos but I do find them interesting, though I've not played many, so its like saying im not big into playing FPS after only trying 3 FPS games.

L31mr0d wrote: »

Make sure you do plenty of wandering in fallout. It's a great game for that although you do kiss away a small chunk of your life.

Could hardly agree more. Still my fav game of this gen I reckon.
    All the REAL fun is off the beaten track. Far more side quests than main story.

Get dead space. It's now cheap and it's awesome.

I see it around for cheap alright but I actually OWN LBP, Siren and Uncharted so they have to be next when I finish P4 (which is a bit of a slog to be honest-really doesn't make me want to try P3:FES since 4 is supposed to be MORE user-friendly).

Anyone finished P4? I want to know how much of the story I have left.

Persona is more about the battle system and you have to be prepared for some grinding.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Persona is more about the battle system and you have to be prepared for some grinding.

Its quite basic in RPG terms. I dunno about 3 but elemental weaknesses are more important than any other factor really. I should be greatful theres more than one dungeon but its still ten repetitive floors (twice if you want bonus items for quests and bosses) per Dungeon. You can rarely let your gaurd down though and you feel most of the moves have a purpose-good example is the 2nd level elemental spells they are more powerful than my physical attacks and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Every year without fail these sorts of threads crop up. Yes - there's less triple A ames coming out in the summer, but unless you are an insomiac who spends the majority of most days playing games there is undoubtably so many games on your pile of shame (games you want to play but never have) to keep you going until the first dew of Autumn appears.

What it hurts the most is forums because they're driven on what's newly released and herd playing, something that is obviously more fractured when there's less banner games being released.

We should copy the format that's proliferated alot of other gaming forums and have a poll to decide a back catalogue game that alot of people haven't exprienced to play for a given week and discuss as they play through it.

Its quite basic in RPG terms. I dunno about 3 but elemental weaknesses are more important than any other factor really. I should be greatful theres more than one dungeon but its still ten repetitive floors (twice if you want bonus items for quests and bosses) per Dungeon. You can rarely let your gaurd down though and you feel most of the moves have a purpose-good example is the 2nd level elemental spells they are more powerful than my physical attacks and rightly so.

The only big difference between 3 and 4 is that in 3 you only have control over the main character in battle. It might sound weird but it does work altough I've heard it's very hard to get used to for people coming from P4. Elemental weaknesses also play a huge part in P3 and there's an awful lot of dungeon between save points so you really have to grind and make sure you get a back attack for every battle. Also fusing personas is very important as well, with good social links you can create personas that are way over the levels you should normally be getting them at. It's an RPG that doesn't relie on story but more on the amount of oprional stuff you can do and a battle system that while extremely tough is a great accomplishment when you can make it work for you. The characters are also excellent. It's more or a Grandia than a final fantasy VII.

Could hardly agree more. Still my fav game of this gen I reckon.
    All the REAL fun is off the beaten track. Far more side quests than main story.

I had maxed out my levels long before I started the main mission. As soon as I got to megaton I just started walking about and doing side missions. Absolutely great game.

Syferus wrote: »
    We should copy the format that's proliferated alot of other gaming forums and have a poll to decide a back catalogue game that alot of people haven't exprienced to play for a given week and discuss as they play through it.
    I like this idea a lot, but whether we all have the time/gaming system/attention span is another thing. I know I have about 10 games on the go at the moment, I'm a gaming procrastinator. It could be good for me to be forced encouraged to play one game at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

GothPunk wrote: »
    I like this idea a lot, but whether we all have the time/gaming system/attention span is another thing. I know I have about 10 games on the go at the moment, I'm a gaming procrastinator. It could be good for me to be forced encouraged to play one game at a time.

The games would need to have good catchment of courses, the best ones being multi-platform PS3/360 ones, PS2 or relatively low-spec PC games. It's unlikely most would complete a given game in the period alotted, either a week or two, so you'd have to prepared to double up if you liked one game and didn't finsh it in time.

Advertisement