Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympus E510

• 01-05-2009 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

In the market for a new SLR and came across the Olympus E510 does anyone on here own one of these I'd be grateful for any insight you could give me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I own one and am very happy with it, like any camera or other piece of equipment it has its strenghts and weaknesses but if you are prepared to put a little time into learning your way around it I don't think you will be disappointed.

Having said all that it is two generations old now, so not directly comparable with some of the newer competing models.

Strengths: the lenses, even the kit ones acknowledged to be the equal of anything else available and better than most. The dustbuster, the original amnd the best, I've had Olympus for nearly three years and never had to have a sensor clean. The IS, if you never had it you wont miss it, but once you do you'll ever go back. Liveview, very handy with the camera on a tripod.

Weaknesses: High ISO performance, not great but not the disaster area some would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Thanks for your help I also found the Olympus E420 for a similar price and was wondering which is the better option ?

Personally I'd go for the 510, I'd miss the IS too much, but it's a personal thing some folks want the smaller body.

The new E620 has the best of both worlds but the price is going to be higher.

As a matter of interest how much are you getting it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

As I said I'm just trying to get into the market so any advice you give me is brilliant. I'm able to get the

E420 for around €330 with a ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens
    E510 for around €380 with a 14-42mm lens

The lowest prices I've seen are here, I've no personal experience with them but have seen good reports on the dpreview Oly forum and also think one member is waiting on a delivery from them.

I can say I've personally dealt with computeruniverse and found them to be top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

nilhg wrote: »
    The lowest prices I've seen are here, I've no personal experience with them but have seen good reports on the dpreview Oly forum and also think one member is waiting on a delivery from them.

That would be me, I'm ordering the e-620 on Sunday and hoping it will be delivered by the end of next week or early the week after. I've emailed the store direct and they've been quite prompt in replying.

THeir prices on the e-420 body only is very cheap €229 I believe. Delivery to Ireland is €45 via DHL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

As I said I'm just trying to get into the market so any advice you give me is brilliant. I'm able to get the

E420 for around €330 with a ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens
    E510 for around €380 with a 14-42mm lens
    Go for the 510 without a shadow of a doubt. I have the 520 (almost identical to 510) as my play camera, it's a peach. The 420, as odd as this may sound, is actually a little too small. It just doesn't sit comfortably in your hand.

If you're around Dublin you're welcome to have a play around with my 520.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

The feel of the camera in hand is surely a personal thing, I have no problem handling the 410 that I use. It's to be held like an old manual SLR with the left hand holding the lens barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I bet you'll find the 620 more comfortable.

Advertisement