Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genre Organization?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

The categories for the music section on Boards seem like they could be classed a little differently..

I don't really understand the pairing of Jazz & Blues. I understand that they are greatly tied in history but as for the actual sound? Blues seems a lot more tied into rock than jazz. A far dirtier sound.

Classic Rock & Blues sounds like a better pairing, imo.
    Rock & Alternative would cover grunge and most current rock.
    Indie is a ridiculously wide spectrum of music and could easily be classed on its own, but could also be paired as Indie & Folk.
    Industrial & Metal also feels like a more natural pairing as I feel weird discussing "lighter" rock in the Rock & Metal section as it seems to be dominated by "heavy" listeners.
    Jazz could possibly be grouped with Classical.
    No section for pop or rap? Hip-Hop & Rap could be paired.
    No Country & Americana section, but that's no big deal because I doubt it's particularly big here, though there is some lovely music in it.

Just seems like it's kind of.. weirdly organized. Could be more fluid, I guess. Doubt it's a huge priority, and it's really not that big a deal, I just oftentimes find myself unsure as to where to post certain things.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

liah wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Your suggested cure is worse than the disease, if any exists. Jazz & Classical - that makes more sense than jazz & blues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Your suggested cure is worse than the disease, if any exists. Jazz & Classical - that makes more sense than jazz & blues?

Really just put that in because I honestly couldn't think of another place Jazz could go. Definitely doesn't belong with Blues though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

MoominPapa wrote: »
    +1
    Took the words right out of my mouth.:p

My thoughts...
    Perhaps Jazz and Blues could have separate forums but they don't get huge amounts of traffic and as you rightly say they are inextricably linked so I think it's no harm to leave them as they are.
    I would agree that perhaps Rock and Metal could be separated as that forum does seem to cater for Heavy Metal more so than Rock/ Classic Rock etc.
    There is no Pop forum but I think the main Music forum seems to deal with that topic fairly well.
    Also it's interesting that there aren't yet forums for Folk or Country...or Bluegrass for that matter. I suppose to keep us all happy we'd end up with endless amounts of sub-forums to cater for every sub-genre out there and I think that would be a lot worse than what we have now.

By the way, what sort of music are you into yourself Liah?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Hip-Hop & Rap could be paired.

wut?

Hermy wrote: »
    By the way, what sort of music are you into yourself Liah?

Everything, pretty much. Everything from traditional Bengali to Metallica to shoegaze to Bob Dylan, gypsy tunes to flamenco to blink 182. German, polish, icelandic, jamaican. I listen to all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Really just put that in because I honestly couldn't think of another place Jazz could go. Definitely doesn't belong with Blues though.

From a practical point of view the jazz & blues section is fairly quiet traffic wise as it is.

From a musical point of view I cant understand why you think they should not be together. :confused: Jazz is basically derived from blues, and IMO go together like salt and pepper. Even in New Orleans, most venues cater for both, as most people consider them inseperable.

Rigsby wrote: »
    From a practical point of view the jazz & blues section is fairly quiet traffic wise as it is.

From a musical point of view I cant understand why you think they should not be together. :confused: Jazz is basically derived from blues, and IMO go together like salt and pepper. Even in New Orleans, most venues cater for both, as most people consider them inseperable.

I just think Blues would be better suited to Classic Rock. Think of bands like Zeppelin-- large blues element, but they definitely don't sound a thing like Jazz.

The history is similar, sure, but the sound? Completely different. Just feels weird discussing them in the same area.

I just think Blues would be better suited to Classic Rock. Think of bands like Zeppelin-- large blues element, but they definitely don't sound a thing like Jazz.

The history is similar, sure, but the sound? Completely different. Just feels weird discussing them in the same area.

I dont see anything "weird" in having them together. Personally, I dont really care what they are classified under on "boards" once I ( and everyone else) know where they are. ;)

BTW I dont agree that Jazz and Blues are completely different, though that's a discussion for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

So would Genesis, The Who, King Crimson , floyd, zappa be blues bands? there is a bit more to classic rock than Zep, Clapton etc

As for Jazz and classical, good luck with that

However I have always believed tha there should be one single rock forum where all the genres are discussed (Punk, Metal, Rock, Indie, Prog etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Jazz and Classical?

They couldn't be less similar.

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    Jazz and Classical?

They couldn't be less similar.

To be honest I'm talking more about fan base than genre.

A lot more people who like classic rock would also like blues, but really not like jazz. A lot of people who like classical also like jazz, but not blues.

Depends on the kind of jazz, though, now that I think of it.

Also, no point on focusing all one one suggestion, I threw tons out there.

Rigsby wrote: »
    BTW I dont agree that Jazz and Blues are completely different, though that's a discussion for another day.

......... and I've started one on this subject in the "Jazz and Blues" forum if anyone's interested. :)

To be honest I'm talking more about fan base than genre.

A lot more people who like classic rock would also like blues, but really not like jazz. A lot of people who like classical also like jazz, but not blues.

Depends on the kind of jazz, though, now that I think of it.

Also, no point on focusing all one one suggestion, I threw tons out there.

IMO you are making a big deal about this. Does it really matter what everything is categorized under, once everyone knows where to discuss their favourite music, wheather it has a large or small following ? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Scrap all the sub forums and file it all under music. Keep things like Gig and Events in a sub forum everything else i'd put all together just to see the mayhem that would enfold. I do think it would expose more people to more music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

lordgoat wrote: »
    Scrap all the sub forums and file it all under music. Keep things like Gig and Events in a sub forum everything else i'd put all together just to see the mayhem that would enfold. I do think it would expose more people to more music.

Boo-urns. Don't think this would be a good idea. I acknowledge that some of the forums are very quiet but most of them have at least a small dedicated group of regulars. Lumping them all together would mean that the smaller, niche discussions would drop off the front page quickly and become forgotten about. Big, busy forums tend to have no attention span (e.g. After Hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was just going to recommended that exact thing. They have that in another similar website I frequent.

There should definetly be an Americana/Alt Country sub forum if that doesn't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It won't work, the rock/metal/indie threads would just swallow the forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Some good ideas, but I would have it like so:

Classic Rock/Blues
    Punk/Metal/Industrial
    Classical
    Jazz
    Electronic
    Experimental
    Soul/Hip Hop/RnB/Funk
    Alternative
    Traditional/Folk

Blisterman wrote: »
    Some good ideas, but I would have it like so:

Classic Rock/Blues
    Punk/Metal/Industrial
    Classical
    Jazz
    Electronic
    Experimental
    Soul/Hip Hop/RnB/Funk
    Alternative
    Traditional/Folk

What about Country, Nu Metal, Rave, Rap, Ska, Trip-Hop, Jungle, Reggae, Latin, Blah blah blah. It's all parallel.

What about Country, Nu Metal, Rave, Rap, Ska, Trip-Hop, Jungle, Reggae, Latin, Blah blah blah. It's all parallel.

Well, let's see;

Classic Rock/Blues
    Metal/Industrial/Nu Metal
    Ska/Punk
    Classical
    Jazz
    Reggae
    Indie
    Electronic/Trip-hop/Rave
    Experimental/Shoegaze/Post-rock
    Soul/Hip Hop/RnB/Funk/Rap
    Rock/Grunge/Alternative
    Traditional/Folk
    Country/Alt-Country/Americana
    World Music

Should fairly roughly cover it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It doesn't have to be all encompassing, as we have the "Music" forum, for any niche genres that don't fit into one of the others.

My point is that no matter what you do, there will always be people not happy with this genre-lisation of music. As it stands it's a happy medium. I could easily ramble off 10 or 15 more genres but there's no point. The only change i would vote for would be for less categories. Definitely not more, unless there was want for a country music forum. Other than that it will stay as it is i think. Segration Nay and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I would agree with lordgoat, and I'd add that I think the music category should be allowed to grow organically like it has been so far. Trying to categorise genres from scratch would be like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling. Many (if not all) of the forums under Music have developed little cultures/subcommunities of their own and these would be seriously disrupted if there was a big overhaul. If forums are completely unused then they can be culled, but this rarely happens.

I still hate the idea of discussing blues with a bunch of jazzheads. :/ If nothing else changes the Rock and Metal forum should be split up and Classic Rock and Blues put together, solely because the Rock and Metal forum is absolutely dominated by metalheads, getting to the point where you can't discuss anything lighter without being criticized for the artist being shíte and not metal enough.

Classic Rock and Blues, Industrial and Metal, Rock and Alternative. Indie on its own or split with folk.

Seems fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I still hate the idea of discussing blues with a bunch of jazzheads.

Get over yourself.

Problem solved.

Get over yourself.

Problem solved.

It's nothing to do with that, I listen to both equally so I'd say the same thing vice versa, I'd just rather talk about it with people who were into blues and classic rock because they're similar. Jazz and blues are quite divided in following and thus the userbase is going to be significantly swayed to the jazz side as a lot of the blues stuff would now be discussed in rock.

I still hate the idea of discussing blues with a bunch of jazzheads.

...... then join this forum and give us all a break !! :p

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/

Jesus guys go easy on liah, i can see her point and it's a fair one, and i don't frequent the metal forum at all so i can't comment but would assume that to be the case.

I def wouldn't split alt and indie up, i'd natually assume folk falls into there on it's own, without the need for a label.

Best advice is keep posting and report any posts that piss you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea, getting fairly agro on here, IMO there should be two categories.
    • Music I Like
    • Music I Don't Like

• Advertisement

Jesus guys go easy on liah/QUOTE]

What's with this ?? :confused: I gave Liah a link to an all blues forum where he/she can discuss to his/her hearts content without the "indignity" of having "jazz heads " present. ;)

Advertisement