Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon film SLRs

• 01-05-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Totally clueless with film and have benefitted from advice on here countless times, so instead of Googling...

I'm thinking of buying a cheap second hand film SLR - I have a few mates who shoot film only and there's some indefinable quality that you just can't get with digital. I have a Nikon DSLR, so figured that it would make sense getting a Nikon film SLR.

Any recommendations? Wouldn't mind at all if it's old technology - I'd probably favour something form the 70s or 80s rather than the 90s or 00s, as I'd still be using my DSLR 99 times out of 100.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

spav wrote: »
    I have a few mates who shoot film only and there's some indefinable quality that you just can't get with digital.

It's called dynamic range - snicker, snicker. Also grain (not so snicker)

I'd probably favour something form the 70s or 80s rather than the 90s or 00s, as I'd still be using my DSLR 99 times out of 100.

Nikon FM (all manual) or FE (auto) if you want quality retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

What lenses do you have for your Nikon DSLR? Most newer DX lenses won't work properly on older film bodies, because of the crop factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Cosmo K wrote: »
    What lenses do you have for your Nikon DSLR? Most newer DX lenses won't work properly on older film bodies, because of the crop factor.

I have a couple of DX lenses, but also an old Nikon 60mm f/2.8 that should work OK. You seem to be able to get the older lenses fairly cheap - ideally I'd look for a body with lens.

The idea is that I'd use my digital, but whip the old film SLR out just to get a different type of shot of the same subject. Wouldn't need a load of lenses for it anyhow.

The uglier the better - love big, old, ugly cameras. Don't suppose it necessarily has to be Nikon either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I used to use a Nikon F801 It's a lovely body.

If you are used to Nikon DSLR's then it would make sense to get a Nikon Film Body, as the ergonomics are much the same down through the years. The F Mount will mean that any glass for the 35mm camera will also work on the DSLR bodies.

If you want to go really retro then look out for a Nikon F. They were built like tanks but they command a good price as they are collectors items now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I have a D90 and a F70 film body, but I only have one lens for the F70, and taht one lens is a not so great Sigma. Would love to get back into shooting film as well, but I can really only afford to buy lenses for one format at the moment.

Stupid crop factor........better buy a D3x, that would solve the problem:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I now have two SLRs and a DSLR.
    I bought the first SLR as it came in a bag with some cracking lenses, I hadn't considered film up until that point. I put some film in the camera and looked through the viewfinder,whoa, huge difference in the shooting experience with the SLR, no instant feedback, makes you think about what you're doing a bit more and you'll pay for your mistakes at the counter.

I bought the second SLR on preference, I can't afford a full frame digital at the present moment, but a decent 35mm SLR is very affordable.

Shot three rolls today on the 'new' film SLR;
    Galloping horses at 5 frames/second as the torquey AF motor in the film body hefts the glass in my 70-210D through the barrel. Creamy bokeh shots of ladies in hats, kids wearing Ice Cream, Chef with a wok, worthless betting slips littering the betting ring, tatooed debutantes and the one I'm most hopeful of, stable lass walking a racehorse at sunset.
    Just don't know how many I got right, yet.

I sold a few frames from the humble D70S during the week (a first for me), gotta love that 1/500th flash sync/color matrix meter on a sunny day, which covers the cost of the film/developing and 50 % of the film body costs.

Go for it, they're well worth the small outlay to buy one.
    As for the DX/FX thing, the lense will be no worse on a FX film body than it is on the DX DSLR (the imaging circle from the lens is unchanged by the Nikon body its attached to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hey Im on the same page as you mate!

Have a dSLR and what the joy of full frame shooting but cant afford a canon 5d!

Ive now set my mind on a Nikkormat which is a Nikon equivalent, something like you said from the 70s but fully manual!

Gonna order it from "that auction website"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Nikon FE!!!

I got mine a few months ago - love it to bits (I've shot 30,000 photos on my digital SLR and wanted to go back to "making every shot count" film nostalgia).

It's also compatible with all of the older (read: cheaper) lenses. and can meter with them too.

Get some cheap pre-AI lenses (around 20-30 euro) and you're set to go.

Advertisement