Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thought Experiment - Obama not qualified to be US President

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Do you really think the people held in that camp care about our civil rights? Plus Obama forgot about one very important thing. Nobody wants them because they know they're dangerous.

60 Minutes just did a piece about how the released Saudi Prisoners have been taken back to Saudi Arabia, and get this, spared no expense, and given every opportunity to renounce the ways of Osama Bin Laden. They go to anger management classes. They have arts and craft. They have a spiritual guide to steer them away from Bin Laden's teachings and back to real Islamic Faith. They get cars and expenses all paid for by Saudi Royal tender.

It was funny watching guys do arts and crafts that by their own admittance once stood shoulder to shoulder with Osama in the mountains. But then the asshole left them behind, and thats when their opinion began to change.

Just as a note to myself really. But when the piece inevitably makes it up to youtube tomorrow or tuesday, expect me to deliver it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That report on the Saudi rehabilitation camps has been around for at least a year.

They are selective on who they take, though. The hard-liners are not given the opportunity to go through them, only those deemed salvageable.
    It's the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law.

Although I'm a little reluctant to go with 'spirit of the law' over 'letter of the law' at the best of times, when you're mucking around with the Constitution there should be as little leeway as possible. Such things have been danced with or bent at least twice so far in this administration, and I'm not over-enthralled by this.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cheers for that.

The whole 12 minute piece available here courtesy CBS, plus Article.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/30/60minutes/main4980766.shtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USA... The leader of the "free world," and exemplar of democracy and rule-by-law allowed this GITMO CONCENTRATION CAMP to exist for years under Bush-Cheney? What kind of message did this send to the world?

"But more than half the so-called detainees will probably never go before a jury because the U.S. government does not have a case that will stand up in court. Half of them will probably be let go after years of imprisonment, because under rule-of-law they failed to establish grounds for prosecution, even after failing to obtain such evidence after torturing them?" **

Since when is "pandering to the left" a result of restoring rule-by-law when Obama stops torture and moves to close the GITMO CONCENTRATION CAMP?

Way back when I was led to believe that the Republican Party once stood for the US Constitution, Bill of Rights, and rule-by-law (be it domestic or international laws), but not today, as was evident from the huge contradiction that existed when the Bush-Cheney administration created and maintained for many years the GITMO CONCENTRATION CAMP where prisoners were tortured.

Frankly, I fail to see what the Republican Party stands for today. I doubt that there is a clear consensus among Republicans as to who they are as a party (other than not being Democrats). They lack leadership, vision, mission, goals, and objectives (other than to criticize Obama and vote as THE PARTY OF NO).

The Republican Party (and their sympathizers) need to wake-up to the fact that they LOST the Presidency, LOST the US Senate, and LOST the US House for a reason. Currently they are in a STATE OF DENIAL, pointing fingers of blame, raising silly Obama birth certificate conspiracies (like this thread), rather than rising to the occasion to LEARN from their DEFEAT, and REBUILD their party into a force that represents the MAJORITY of US American voters.

What I have learned in the past 3 years of living in the States is that most US Americans don't like POOR LOSERS, and the only message that the Republicans have consistently broadcast since LOSING the 2008 elections is that they are POOR LOSERS, and will vote as the PARTY OF NO, which provides no solutions to their nation's greatest economic meltdown since the Great Depression.

**Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/30/60minutes/main4980766.shtml
    (Thanks for the source Overheal!)

Advertisement