Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai scared the crap out of me today

• 01-05-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

It was twilight, I was driving along a wide straight road that was 100km/h I was doing 100km/h, the car behind me wanted to go faster and was too close. There were some cars coming in the other direction so I had my dips on. There was also a car a good bit in front of me pulled over, grand I thought and kept going. By the time I got near enough I saw that their were two gardai, one at the garda car(pulled over on my side) and the other at the car on the other side which they had just stopped. The were wearing hi-vis stuff but only vests and they were turned in such a way that I couldn't see them. I ended up driving by them faster than I would have if I known people were standing on both sides of the road. As I was going by one of them starts waving that red thing but is was a bit late for that. I'm wondering now were they expecting me to stop but the guy behind me didn't stop either. I probably scared them a bit too car flying past them at about 80km.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I saw them setting up a checkpoint today.
    I don't know the technical term but they are like cats eyes and flash. They are laid a certain distance before the checkpoint.

Excellent idea imo.

Maybe the checkpoint you met was only just setting up and weren't ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

mikemac wrote: »
    I saw them setting up a checkpoint today.
    I don't know the technical term but they are like cats eyes and flash. They are laid a certain distance before the checkpoint.

Excellent idea imo.

Maybe the checkpoint you met was only just setting up and weren't ready

They were ready they had already stopped a car the other side, maybe they were just stopping people for speed. I drove under the speed limit the whole way home, I just can't believe they were so hard to see even with the hi-vis stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wouldnt lose too much sleep over it.

I was passing through a place called Ballyhea in Co Cork at around 5am one morning which drops to 60kph. I didnt drop anywhere close to it and met a Garda car coming the other way.

He just waved his fist and was very obviously screaming some obscenities in his car.

Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

berty its because of you that so many of our well paid well fatened force have heart attacks every year,

and orlak well done next time swing for one of them it will be one less leech on the state

Berty wrote: »

I was passing through a place called Ballyhea in Co Cork at around 5am one morning which drops to 60kph. I didnt drop anywhere close to it and met a Garda car coming the other way.

He just waved his fist and was very obviously screaming some obscenities in his car.

Oh well.

I'm not worried about breaking the law really because I don't think I did, I just didn't see them standing there that scared the crap out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Think of the poor eircom folk. I meet some many of them on back roads up a ladder fixing attachments to the pole. Nothing but a flashing light on their transit to keep them safe.

I get quite a few scares that way myself and I drive some of the worst roads in the country, i.e most of them.

You will soon lose that nervous type of feeling in your stomach with a good nights sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

The parking can be pretty scary too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Berty wrote: »

Oh well.

bad **** goes down in Ballyhea

only about 6 people live there and they're all related

orlak well done next time swing for one of them it will be one less leech on the state

Am I the only one that likes them? Some of them have considered arresting me before but normally after talking to me(or hearing me talk and go onto completely random tangents) they change their minds. (I've also been known to ask them completely random questions eg something about the uniform, they are normally confused and happy to answer) It might also be because I used to go out with one, my uncle was one, his son is one and I know two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

berty its because of you that so many of our well paid well fatened force have heart attacks every year,

and orlak well done next time swing for one of them it will be one less leech on the state

easy on the mud slinging there, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Orla K wrote: »
    Am I the only one that likes them?

No, certainly not in my case. There are laws on drinking, regretably not on PC ownership (as in personal computer). I've never met a bad Garda (not in this country anyways).

But that wasn't the point of the thread. On the driving thing, one should be ready for anything in as much as one can.

Am I the only one that likes them? Some of them have considered arresting me before but normally after talking to me(or hearing me talk and go onto completely random tangents) they change their minds. (I've also been known to ask them completely random questions eg something about the uniform, they are normally confused and happy to answer) It might also be because I used to go out with one, my uncle was one, his son is one and I know two others.

well you're almost in the club then. for us ordinary folk is different - they are just agents of Biffo's government trying to bring in the revenue + control / oppress the people and generally just ruin their fun.

also if you live in a city you can become a curtain twitcher and use the gardee to try and make life hard for all the annoying people around you, in the hope that they'd eventually go away so you'll have more space & quiet for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Am I the only one that likes them? .

No. It's just Leitrim lad , he likes to fling things like that into a lot of his pots about the gards. He has a very obvious chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

towel401 wrote: »
    well you're almost in the club then. for us ordinary folk is different - they are just agents of Biffo's government trying to bring in the revenue + control / oppress the people and generally just ruin their fun.

Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

stoped twice in the last week... some crack down on at the mo... New car so only got the log book there yesterday so all sorted now... id say you will see alot of check points being the bank holiday and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It was twilight, I was driving along a wide straight road that was 100km/h I was doing 100km/h, the car behind me wanted to go faster and was too close. There were some cars coming in the other direction so I had my dips on. There was also a car a good bit in front of me pulled over, grand I thought and kept going. By the time I got near enough I saw that their were two gardai, one at the garda car(pulled over on my side) and the other at the car on the other side which they had just stopped. The were wearing hi-vis stuff but only vests and they were turned in such a way that I couldn't see them. I ended up driving by them faster than I would have if I known people were standing on both sides of the road. As I was going by one of them starts waving that red thing but is was a bit late for that. I'm wondering now were they expecting me to stop but the guy behind me didn't stop either. I probably scared them a bit too car flying past them at about 80km.

I brought this up on the Emergency Services fourm a while ago. I was waiting for a bus, going drinking, and a squad car pulled someone over. When the Gardai got out of the car I could hardly see them and they where wearing hi-viz. This was on a suburban street with lighting on a wet winter evening. From what I remember of the replies, their hi-viz was/is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

given recent events, that is one of the most distasteful comments ive read in the short time ive been on boards.

well done done leitrim lad, posted like a true keyboard warrior :rolleyes:

peasant wrote: »
    easy on the mud slinging there, please

a ya fair enough peasent , twas more of a laugh than anything else altough alot of people i notice didnt laugh,

there are certain hours in the evening and morning that they shouldnt set up check points due to the twylight , i mean the sun setting or riseing as it is very blinding.

and on bertys comments about eircom ,also think of the poor underpaid esb workers who are up the pole aswell, they could be electric cuted anytime leaving us all in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anyanka

leitrim lad just to clarify, are you encouraging orlak to knock down the next guard she meets at a check point?

Disgusting post, i've seen people banned for much less.

anyanka wrote: »
    leitrim lad just to clarify, are you encouraging orlak to knock down the next guard she meets at a check point?

Disgusting post, i've seen people banned for much less.

your funny anyanka, real funny always looking at the depressing side of things ,what would you do if tommy teirnan ,or mario rosenstock came out with the same as what i said ,

yes you would laugh, at them of course ,but again the small minds cant see the funny side of anything nowadays can they,

read my last post @ 10.03 just before your one,

i suppose you will have me arrested for attempted murder on the esb workers aswell will you

• Advertisement

anarchy + city states ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

This is a prize winner this is. I feel physicaly sick reading your childish, imature, stupid, thoughtless post. Do you remember 26th of March?? (or possibly your on another planet) Because I certainly do. I'll never forget it. Someone beat you to your advice and MURDERED one of our collegues. Funny now??? I dont f**king think so.

i suppose you will have me arrested for attempted murder on the esb workers aswell will you

No we wouldnt secure a conviction for that but I would seriously think of Section 2 of the PROHIBITION OF INCITEMENT TO HATRED ACT, 1989. Google it. You might learn something.

I honestly thought I saw every possible anti Garda slogan but this takes the biscuit leitrim lad. I really do believe you should be banned from all forums for that one, I know many people who got banned for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There are people getting banned for backseat modding too :D (not to menton personal insults)

This is enough of that now

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont find it funny at all either. You know there are smileys to indicate things like "I'm being funny". Humour works too. This thread is a wreck. LL infracted (not banned, not even forum banned so dont come crying).

Next time drive more carefully OP, 100kph in the dark is insane. You are at fault here, not the cops or the hi-vis stuff. If you cant react to something that wasnt even unexpected how are you going to react to a child running out or a cyclist or anything.

Its called a speed limit not a speed target.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement